Powerlevel and/or Mentoring Strategies questions

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vhayne, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Vhayne New Member

So I'm a newish player coming from EQ1 (many years played). I understand the "rules" in this game are different, but I do read/hear about people doing powerleveling. And I have a few questions about it. :)

I suppose I should first get this out of the way...I'm playing on the new Kaladim TLP server, so no mercs or stuff like that. Also, "why would this guy want to do this?"...well I LOVE EQ1 for it's freedom, and one of those freedoms are in the form of powerleveling. I very much enjoy the "art" to it. To me personally, it's fun to develop new strategies and to see how fast I can level up an alt (on another account) or to help friends catch up. It's just something I have fun with.

Obviously EQ2 does things very differently than EQ1. Over there I could take a druid, buff up a n00b, and let him go crazy with regen, hp buffs, and damage shield. Not so much here, as no buffs can be cast on an OOG toon. And very few heals can be cast on them, so it seems. Also, you can't finish a mob off at <50% for the n00b toon to get exp.

But I KNOW it can be done, I'm just confused as to "how". I assume it has something to do with mentoring. From the stuff I've read, and the videos I've seen, it appears it's as simple as taking a high level, AoE tanky class, and mentor down (thereby grouping with the n00b toon), and running around AE'ing everything in sight. Sounds simple enough.

However, what confuses me is the whole "mentoring" thing. I don't understand how if you mentor down to say, level 10, and even though you keep your spells/abilities, how is the mentor able to mass pull and AE these mobs at that level? I mean essentially the mentor is now also level 10 right? But in the video I just watched, he (berserker) is still AE'ing for 10k damage lol.

Is mentoring really that "unbalanced"? Or is there more to it that I'm just not understanding?

So I'm basically just asking for some knowledge as I believe I have exhausted all of the info out there that I could find with Google. What are the strategies for powerleveling in EQ2 with a high level toon assisting a n00b? Are these heavily kept secrets? (I know in EQ1 a lot of them were for a time).
  2. Shady1 Member

You still get to use all of your buffs and abilities that you have earned up to your max level, even though other players of the level you mentored down to, only have the abilities they have yet earned up to their level, that plays a huge factor, also probably a slight scaling advantage for mitigation as well.

Most "powerlevel" people are Shadowknights whom get alot of self healing through their abilities as well.
  3. Raff Well-Known Member

Even if you are mentored, a higher level class will still retain all of their abilities and most of their potency.

Actually a Pally is my favorite class for power leveling someone. Heals, cures & the ability to rez a dead player...plus plenty of aoe's & tanky agro mgmt / toughness.

Can't speak for the TLE servers experience though...not my cuppa. Prefer Live.
  4. Vhayne New Member

Thanks guys.

So that's pretty much the only way to powerlevel in this game? That is a bit disappointing if true. In EQ, there were just so many different ways to do it, each with their pros and cons and each depending on what class or classes were doing the PL. I had really hoped that EQ2 retained "some" of that freedom. I know a high level healer can use a few heals outside of group, but then they are not much more than a "healbot". Are there any other methods?
  5. Carynn Well-Known Member

On Kaladim, having someone group with you and power you through zones is the only way (cost about 3 krono to get 1-70). On live, you use agnostic dungeon or buy a leveling token.