Potential Returning Player - Picking a Class

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Chumble, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can help an inquisitor's leveling if you will conscientiously harvest as you adventure. When you get rares, have a player crafter make them into Mastercrafted plate armor, 2-H hammers, +WIS jewelry, etc.
  2. Chumble New Member

Just a quick update, went with an Inquisitor (got em to 15 or so). So far, seems like a kinda awkward mashup of a spellcaster, melee, and healer. I'm hoping it will start to pan out as time goes on.

And for the heck of it, I started a warden, got em to 11. I did the same content as the inquisitor, and I was able to blow through everything quite a bit faster. I guess this is what you were talking about with the inquisitor starting out slower.

So I'm gonna stick it out with the inquisitor, but I really hope he starts to pan out a bit more... seems like the warden came into his own much quicker.
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

Good luck to you =). I personally favor Mystic & then Warden as my favorites.

I'm late to the conversation, but I've always been of the opinion in this game that for most classes, if you are only performing one role in all situations, you are not playing up to the class's potential.
  4. Ivory Member

Its always a good idea to try out several classes. Yes the Warden is going to feel much more powerful at first. Especially if you spend your AA points on the ranged to melee spell conversions (which is highly recommended). But remember when it comes to the longer fights the Warden is going to have to stop and heal itself much more often. Wardens only get leather armor vs plate. Once you're running a Duo with your friends Guardian, you two should be able to take down just about anything at your level. If you have AoD, get a few DPS/Support Mercs and your golden.
  5. Chumble New Member

Yeah, with the AA points with the Inquisitor, I can't seem to find a good starting place. I don't know if it's worth it to go into the inquisitor tree or the Cleric tree. But I suppose I can look up some guides for that.
  6. Ivory Member

I am by no means an expert on Inquisitors, so I won't even advise you on where to start your AA's. I do know that most people run down the strength and agility lines on the cleric tree. Other than that maybe some others can give you advice...
  7. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

You say awkward mashup of caster and melee and healer: YES the Inquisitor is a healer. But the melee (combat arts) are in your Inquisitor tree and are meant to replace the spells whose icons they match. The Combat Arts are much better and they scale as you level. Use a 2 handed weapon with the Inquisitor.

As for AAs:

Cleric tree first: far left line that leads to Steadfast. That way you can cast through mobs hitting you, unless you are knocked back.
    Get the combat arts in the Inquisitor tree: there are five of them:
    Writhing Strike
    Strike of Flames
    Strike of Corruption
    Invocation Strike
    Litany Circle

Then be sure to get Battle Cleric AA in the linked group of 4.

Also from AAs in the Cleric tree you can obtain Hammer Divine Smite and Skull Crack which are combat arts too.

Next in Cleric tree, go down the second line to Battle Fervor and fill that in. Then down the center line to get Severe Judgment for better autoattack multiplier, and below that Inspired Renewal for critical chance. In the fourth line, 4 in divine demonstration and some in blessed armament.
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

Tbh you won't get a true idea of your class until around L50. All classes are a bit one dimensional until you get enough AA points.

Looking at the abilities on paper it's easy to think it's boring. It's a different kettle of fish when you're fighting to save your life.

In groups, particularly at high levels but not exclusively, tanks are very intensive and healers can be too. You have to concentrate and be aware of whats going on. It can be exhausting and not boring at all.
  9. Chumble New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I played to 21 or so last night, started grouping up with my guardian buddy. One thing I noticed was HUGE power problems. If I both heal and help DPS, I can make it through 3-4 lv20 critters before I'm looking really low. It seemed the only way I could keep my power in check was to just debuff the target and put a reactive heal on the guardian.. then auto attack.

Also, does the Inquisitor get any kind of healing mechanic through melee? It seems there is a LOT of focus on melee skills for a healer...
  10. Ivory Member

As mentioned before I have never leveled an Inquisitor before, but do either one of you have the AoD Expansion? If so, try adding a bard Merc to the group. The power regeneration buffs should help you out as well as the added DPS to take things down quicker.

Hopefully someone with more experience will speak up about the Inquisitor specific questions.
  11. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

Yes indeed at first power is a problem BUT you will later on get a couple of things to deal with that including the valuable spell Inquest, which returns you power as the person the spell is on hits the mob. But for right now, if you are low on power don't run Yaulp. It's a real power drain on you at low levels.

Healing through melee is more of a Warden specialty. The Inquisitor does get a sweet ability at endgame to ward the group from a certain prestige melee art, but mostly an Inquisitor is buffing their melee in group to do more damage, including a proc called "Fanatical Devotion" that is found in the bottom line of the Shadows tree.

Have you looked at your AA window and taken advantage of the Character Development tab yet? In Focus Effects you've got several options to make a spell or buff more effective. In the racial tab you've got abilities to choose that will give boosts to various stats depending on race. In the Inquisitor Training tab you can Grandmaster one spell listed per 10 levels starting at 14; I recommend Penance.

It will get better as you level; use your AAs as you get them for maximum effect. Don't level up at their expense; you need the AAs for an effective Inquisitor build. There are more abilities and spells coming to add to your effectiveness, don't worry. It's a slow buildup to the top BUT a high level Inquisitor can be a beast.

Also, I don't recommend a lot of attempts to debuff a mob that's gonna die quickly anyhow. Instead, Condemn it then throw Vengeance and Repentance at if if you want but mostly use your combat arts and autoattack while keeping Penance ( single reactive heal) on the tank. Don't overheal either. Watch your maintained spellbar (left side default) for the icon that represents your reactive heal; it should show trigger count and duration in seconds. It'll take practice but you'll get used to timing your reactive heals in changing situations.

One note: if you get another point to use in the 4 linked abilities in the Inquisitor tree after you get Battle Cleric, go for Punishments. This does cause heals to the group in area of effect when your Punishments spell proc goes off on the mob. Punishment spells are Vengeance, Repentance and Heresy, aka Reverse Reactives. You won't get credit for the heals as they come from the mob but you can track it using Advanced Combat Tracker.
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I have most of the healers, a couple of the tanks, a dirge and a coercer. I raid as a healer. For what you are saying you want to try in the game, Inquisitor sounds like exactly what you are after.

Someone also pointed out that Fury isn't a melee - you want a Warden if you want the melee'ing druid. And then, the combat arts don't show up until you have a few AA points. Either a nuking or melee druid (Fury or Warden) are a lot of fun to play, and Wardens have no trouble healing and doing damage at the same time. The 'graying out' problem is when you try and use both combat arts and nukes. You can do one or the other, not both - as a Warden.

No healer is a 'backup' or 'secondary' healer. Liral is talking about the group a Warden often gets put into in a raid - secondary meaning not Main Tank or OT - every healer has a job to do in a raid.

Short answer, though: Inquisitor sounds like something you'd really like.