Potential returning player apprehensive to start again

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Zephandir, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Zephandir New Member

Hello all!

I am looking to get back into EQ2 after many...many years off, and am feeling a little overwhelmed by everything. I am considering making a new character, but the idea of leveling solo sounds really unappealing. My old gaming friends are no longer interested in the game, so my question is, how populated are the lower level areas, and do people generally group up?

I know joining a guild sometimes helps with this, but I have also experienced the issue where everyone is just max level and there is no interest in leveling up again.

Anyhow, hope my question is not too silly, but just looking for a little insight.
    santargria likes this.
  2. Katz Well-Known Member

There are multiple posts on the forums by people who have just returned to the game. You might try doing a forum search and seeing if any of them are interested in joining with you to level. Other than that, if you know what server you will be on, post that here and you might be contacted with people who are happy to quest with you. I know some longtime players get bored with what they are doing sometimes and would love to quest with a new person.
    AccidentProne37, Siren and santargria like this.
  3. Zephandir New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Your suggestions are right on, and I am somewhat embarrassed I didn't think of them myself. It has been so long since I have played without my normal group of friends I must have tunnel vision or something.

Anyhow, I play on playing on Halls of Fate server. Anyone who happens to read this and is looking for a friendly mmo vet to quest with feel free to PM me!

In the meantime I will also take a look for other new players. :)
    santargria likes this.
  4. santargria Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check out Agnotics and Alt Z for getting in a group doing them

That's usually what i do when I want to group up - gear doesn't always need to be rolled on, since many of the chests are per group member anyway.

Oh and welcome back
    Siren likes this.
  5. Katz Well-Known Member

You might also want to include your typical playing days and times of day. Halls of Fate has people from the US and New Zealand and Australia and I'm sure other places too.
  6. Marilia Active Member

I highly recommend joining a progression guild (guilds that level lock, usually for each old expansion - lvl 50, lvl 60, etc and do the content from that expansion then move on to the next). They are a great way to see old content at level and learn or re-learn a class without rushing to max level.

I'm not sure what, if any, progression guilds there are on Halls of Fate, but be sure to check out the in-game guild recruitment window to see if any are around.

Failing that there is always the new progression *server* that is coming sometime later this month, as the rumor goes. This type of server is time-locked for each expansion so it'll start out with everyone locked at lvl 50, then 12 weeks later it's moved to 60 and the first expansion of the game, and so forth. Things are highly restricted on these servers so a lot of the creature comforts you might enjoy on a normal server won't be available on this type of server until it's "unlocked" when that expansion is released on the server.

If a progression server isn't to your liking, but you want to try a progression guild on a normal server, I do know of one on Antonia Bayle, Time Helix. They're currently locked at 50, but will be moving on to 60 soonish.
  7. Chrome New Member

Recently returned myself, and quite right - it's very overwhelming. I was even dumb enough to use the lvl 100 token on a class I hadn't played so I really just threw myself in.

Instead of hopping in dungeons or quest areas I didn't know, I did some mentoring and ran through a lot of the older content that I knew - like the RoK & TSO instances.......even a couple of the raids cause the token gave my Channeler some nifty gear so he basically 2-shots everything, and what he doesn't kill, my merc takes care of.

After I got a feel for the game and some nostalgia from old instances, I hopped on my Coercer and started some of the newer questlines that I hadn't seen - like Tears of Veeshan stuff. Was cool to see a lot of the VP dragons out and about.

So in short, I did old content with a new character, and then I did new content with an old character, and it's been pretty fun, despite the ridiculous gear these days. 800% crit chance and all that :p
  8. Ryuken Active Member

Send me a PM if you are on Maj'dul and ill help you out :)
  9. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I've recently returned too. I still play my old account though and I have max level characters mostly already. I did have a lower level character for a long time but now I find it annoying to play it because it takes so long to do simple things. I mean, no casting speed? Ugh. Unless you're really unfamiliar with the class or with the ui, I'd probably buy the expansion (which comes with a level 100-booster), and boost a character class that I knew best in this game (assuming I was starting over).

That makes it easier to help your lower level characters out while they're leveling, and gives you a chance to join groups after you've caught up a bit. People still join groups and as always it's better to join a guild and group with people who have a good reason to help you. But PUGs (pick up groups) are possible too. And the new Public Quests give you decent level 100 gear to help you along.

Join a guild you like (and feel no remorse if you decide you don't like them or they're not helpful, just leave and find another), and that will start you off right.
  10. Locke Member

I am on Skyfire with a group of friends that just started.

We have bruiser, defiler, dirge, and a pally. If you would love to join us let me know. My IGN is Lockeon

We are only about lvl 20 and slowly leveling up.