Possess Minion

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Quasimojo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Quasimojo Guest

I've played for short stints here and there over the years - at one point I had been away so long I had no idea what my login name and password may have been, so I bought the game again and started fresh (I didn't have much to lose, anyway). I've picked up my existing characters, ready to make a push and decide which one(s) I want to concentrate on. I've always liked the Necromancer class in EQ1, so I'm working on determining if the version in EQ2 suits me as well.
    I'm only at level 22, but I have read enough (and died enough now) to know that I need to lock here and grind some AA's. My play style is mostly solo until find the right guild (casual friendly but loves to get together to raid and isn't largely at the end game yet). I can manage single mobs fine and even the occasional double when needed, but adds (you know, that sudden smack in the backside you don't see coming) still tend to give me fits, as much of my approach concentrates on monitoring my health and that of my pet and adjusting my attack accordingly.
    Back to the AA's. I've been doing a lot of reading here, and I don't see many people putting more than one point into Possess Minion. Now I'm not all that jazzed about being able to control my minion to that extent (I'm sure it has it's uses), but that particular AA offers +4 INT per rank, right? Do people forego that because the INT boost doesn't make that much difference, or simply because those points can be more effectively spent on something else? It looks like you only need to put one point into it to start working your way down the trees, and if that's the case, I'd just like to understand why I wouldn't want to maximize my INT.
  2. ARCHIVED-kukiake Guest

Here is a decent DPS build that has tainted heals in it as well so that you can solo through some content while keeping your DPS in group/raid situations at maximum: http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?e02pa4...31e@2aaa8@2a@21 As you can see it does have 10 points in posess minion.
  3. ARCHIVED-Quasimojo Guest

Taking that build, why would someone forego the +36 INT gained from Possess Minion and spend those 9 points elsewhere? I see a lot of people choosing to do so. I would just like to understand the reasoning behind it. 36 INT seems like a nice bump to give up.
  4. ARCHIVED-kukiake Guest

Quasimojo wrote:
    The problem is there isn't so many DPS spots you can put that aa. You have to spend 70 in the summoner tree to unlock the SF aa's. Now if you want a bit more survivability you can take 6 points from posess minion and put it into Animist's Transference, then the rest into Parrying/Minion's Warding. Or if you have pet aggro problems in groups/raids you might want to put more points into Magic Leash.
    edit: Here is the essential stuff from Summoner tree:
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?e01j144a@944a@144a
    The rest of the tree isn't as important, you can basically take whatever you want without hurting your DPS. Those 55 points have to be there. And you should spend exactly 70 points there, no more, no less. So you got 15 points left to play around with.
  5. ARCHIVED-Quasimojo Guest

That helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time.
  6. ARCHIVED-StPatrick Guest

Hmm.. it really depends if you are soloing more or grouping. I find Perceptor's Command and Perceptor's Bodyguard more important in soloing than additional INT. Without Command there is no way for your pet to grab sudden aggro when you DPS too much. As for INT.. I have ~1500 INT, don't think there will be a real different of another 35 INT, when I need to sacrifice the lifesaving Perceptor's Command for this really. Again, I'm talking from soloer perspective.
  7. ARCHIVED-Solarax Guest

simply put to answer your question.
    the points put into something other than minion will help you far more as necros servive through versatility .
    at the lower levels of the game if you want to work on soloing stuff and you will lock for aa then what you will want first is snap agro shockwave and tainted heals .
    i have multiple necros and conji ( in fact my latest lvl 22 has 163 aa) and have experimented with various ways but coming across others playing in the new player catagory they always needed work on either being able to solo green heroic^^^ for finishing off quests that they cant get groups for , OR how to be group friendly and maximize DPS .
    there is a huge difference between solo and group content at love levels and when locking for quest xp AA ( there is TONS of content people just bypass for their race to the top) you will be dealing with situations were you clear an area and single pull the encounter to you and fight much harder fights slower. Sometimes a little more dps counts ( adding those extra int) but mostly your ability to control the fight is what will do the most good