Population - EQ1 vs EQ2

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Braxxton, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Braxxton Member

What game has more players?

EQ1 or EQ2?
  2. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Probably about the same at this point. Maybe leaning towards eq1.
  3. mouser Well-Known Member

The problem with EQ1 is there's a huge gap between new players and old - meaning you can never really catch up to them in power, since they have thousands of AA's, with tons more being added with each expansion. At least in EQ2 there's both a level cap and an AA cap that are reasonable to reach.
  4. Laraden Member

EQ1 has actually done a lot to remedy the gap situation. It's actually easier than ever to 'catch up' these days. Yes, it involves a bit of grinding, but EQ1 always has. They put in a VERY large xp boost on AAs up to the, I want to say 4k mark. Makes a huge difference.

Still probably easier on EQ2 with the caps, but doesn't mean EQ1 is impossible.
  5. Mohee Active Member

All I know is that I played EQ1 from launch, till about 2005. I played both EQ1 and EQ2 at the same time in 2004, until I finally fully switched to EQ2.

I recently tried going back to EQ1 because of all the great memories I had there. The game is far different than I remembered, and couldn't keep me longer than a few weeks. I got a Bard (which was my original main in EQ1) to about 40 ish. The gear in that game has changed a lot now. By level 30, with common drops from grinding/questing, my stats were capped at 255. All of them.

There is guild halls, actual quest journal, lots of quests... I just felt like I was playing a dumbed down version of EQ2. It didn't feel like the EQ1 I once knew...

Also, from 1 - 40ish i found 0 groups. And I played on one of their newer servers (i forget the name) that their forums said had a wide range of level of players, and was one of the most populated. I still couldn't find any groups from 1-40ish.

my 2 copper anyways.
  6. Braxxton Member

Thanks. That makes more sense now. I'll stick to EQ2... maybe try EQ1 later.
  7. Mardy New Member

Two different games, even EQ1 today isn't like the EQ1 back in the days. Same with EQ2, EQ2 today is nothing like EQ2 at launch. For better or worse, it is what it is, things change and games change along with the playerbase. EQ1 is definitely top heavy, but I'll argue EQ2 is also top heavy. While you do see more players running around in EQ2 at lower level areas, it doesn't mean they'll want to group & play with you. Mercenaries are in both games now, and anybody can just take up a merc and go out and solo their hearts out.

I'd pick EQ1 if you long for nostalgia. It's not a dead game by any stretch, it's quite populated, but you'll find most of the people up around the upper levels. EQ1 still get the same 1 expansion a year that EQ2 gets, and the devs there are somehow finding ways to upgrade the game despite how old it is. Mercenaries were in EQ1 first before EQ2, large housing zones were in EQ1 first before EQ2 came out with prestige housing. I'm using these examples to show you that the devs in EQ1 are still striving to make the game good by adding new things and new features.

But with all that said, EQ2 is a more newbie friendly game, and it has more modern features that newer MMO players are used to. On top of that the graphics are better and you can fly. So if you don't care for nostalgia, then I'd stick with EQ2 for sure. But don't forget to check EQ1 out when they come out with a new progression server, they are always a fun way to get a large dose of nostalgia playing from lvl 1 in a classic zone with thousands of other players.
  8. OverDoze Member

eq2 is a ghost town between 1 and 95 with 320 aa and i didnt mind lvling that many times i will admire those who still play eq1 but wont join them im afraid and my reasoning is i like to look cool while killing stuff and eq2 allows you to look awesome decorate houses and compete for number one and i love the fact i can show people my accomplishments and develop my charector in the bounds of sensible limits
  9. ITPalg Member

Please...periods help.

Now that is out of the way:

You don't seem to know anything about EQ or you would have mentioned the hero appearance armor or the housing neighborhoods with the housing plots you can decorate inside and out.
  10. ITPalg Member

Three words:

Fippy Darkpaw Server
  11. ITPalg Member

[quote="Mardy, post: 28672, member: 4255"
    But with all that said, EQ2 is a more newbie friendly game, and it has more modern features that newer MMO players are used to. On top of that the graphics are better and you can fly. So if you don't care for nostalgia, then I'd stick with EQ2 for sure. But don't forget to check EQ1 out when they come out with a new progression server, they are always a fun way to get a large dose of nostalgia playing from lvl 1 in a classic zone with thousands of other players.[/quote]

If graphics were the judging of games then you wouldn't have Minecraft, or even the love of Vanguard's open world (which is newer than EQ but still 'dated').

You can fly in EQ.