Pop-in and out of objects

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

This phenomenon is immersion breaking. I know that isn't news. I was just wondering how hard it would be to turn pop in or out into a fade in or out. At least it would be less glaring and if it faded slow enough it might not mess up the shadows as badly.

Or can the shader be made to see what is popped out when I turn the camera away? Tall objects that pop out when the camera turns away also pop out their shadows.

Or can that performance boosting feature of popping out objects not in view be turned off?
  2. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

Can you make a sprite that is a 2d picture of the object. Then instead of popping it out, replace it with the sprite or something simpler

Or just when you are about to pop it out, turn it into a sprite. Then you can update it every once in a while so the sprite is pictured from the correct angle. Then the shader can turn everything into a sprite from it's angle since it just needs to siloette when the camera pans away and those objects leave the view.

Or, do stationery objects that shade stationery objects need to shade them every frame? Plus can shadows stack?