Polygamy

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Zabjade, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

What do the various factions, religions and races of Norrath think of the concept?
    I can see Maj'Dul being for it, but I have no real idea on how other paces and peoples see the concept
  2. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Most seem to be of the pairing concept (two together) tho Nosmo (sp?) the kerran wanted to have a pride of females. He's Kerran, so that makes sense, the idea of a pride.
    There does seem to be a thing of keeping to one's own race, with the rare mix races here and there. Usually Human/Fill In The Blank-Elf.
    Wait, there was Erudite and Dwarf at Estate of Unrest. It's in the dialog, forgot that.
    Anyhow, that's what I've seen in my years of playing. You also don't see many females of the other races out there. If you set up a macro with %g, target and hit it, it'll say male, female, neuter. It's amusing how many male appearing mobs are neuter. :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Pheep@Unrest wrote:
    Well, if they wern't neuter they would spawn much too quickly. Population control and all that!
    Marriage between a single man and woman seems to be the custom stardard across Norrath. However, nobody makes a big deal of it.
    Some other interesting observations: From the Brell day quests it seems like there are many races that are attracted to others. The poor dwarf with the beer glasses thought he was wooing a bunch of dwarven ladies, but none of the ladies he approached rebuffed him other than the Sarnak guard.
    Also in Velious the romance between a Froglok and an Othmir seems strange. No children yet, but who knows?
    Back in the EQ1 days there was a Teir'dal quest to assassinate a halfling woman. You find out later the Teir'dal wanted her assassinated because he was afraid she might be preganet with his child.
    Also the (Deathfist) Orcs apparently keep slaves and concubines. So does Emperor D'vinn, though it could be because he is following (Crushbone) Orc traditions or Teir'dal?
    Oh, and the Djinn seem to believe in multiple wives. No idea about Efreet, or even if Efreet women exist.
  4. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Emperor Fyst seems to enjoy it ;)
    And as we're talking about bizarre romances in Norath, there's a questline in Commonland abount the lovestory of a Ratonga and a Kerra.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

the ratonga and kerra is so clearly Romeo and Juliet they might as well named the characters that :p
    Kerran's seem to go for the Pride thing. in EQ1 I beleive in Shar Vahl the king had several 'wives' himself. and like was mentioned there is one that wants a pride of females.
    I don't think Garanel actually was infactuated with any of the erudites in Unrest...he was there being looked after I beleive and snapped and killed the family.
    there are plenty of human and elf combos...though case in point, 99.5% of those are woodelf/darkelf becuase High elves do NOT like to mingle that way with 'lesser' races. very very rarely does a high elf become infactuated with a non-elf.
    Fyst had his concubines...and DEs seems to be cheaters. but then again most de 'marriages' are little more then buisness. DEs seems to marry for wealth, influence, political power rather then any emotional attachment.
    Sarnak might be polygimists...looking for the best combinations to ensure the best offspring.
    you know outside of Kerrans and Sarnaks I can;t think of any other polygamy setups.
    but interracial relations seems normal enough. save the 'softskins' with the iksar or sarnak. iksar in particular seem to see non scaled races as inferior creatures. kinda the same way we look at a cow.
  6. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Sanark seem to go for artificial reproduction.
    I'm thinking that Froglock sexual intercourse is external probably in bog-water or hot-spring water with several females laying eggs and several males potentially able to fertilize.
    Okay Kerra not see to have a president.
    Tier'Dal appear to marry for politics, but keep probably openly keep mistresses and gigolos.
    Humans may be a mixed bag, I can see the Sultan of Maj'dul with a couple or more wives. also the need for survival might cause a more open minded family structure in Loping Planes. After all the masters may...decree it for breeding of more "cattle."
    Freeport and Qeynos are unknowns.
  7. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Sarnak are the product of artificial reproduction. Obviously they have some method of producing more Sarnak, that involves eggs. They have bloodlines, which seem to indicate that it isn't all artificial.
    The view that Froglock's spawn in bog-water doesn't jive well with a family structure. When you don't know who's eggs are who's what incentive do you have to protect children? Yet in Halas we have a froglock family with a single child. If they spawn like frogs, there should either be dozens of children, or none. Unless they adopted a single tadpole as a sort of pet? The same applies to Shorty from the Fens.
  8. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Garanel wasn't the one involved in the romance. Garanel was the uncle of the ghost you see in the yard that gives you the hammer to get to his wife.
    The story of Unrest is the marriage of a male Dwarf and a female Euradite who follows Quellious. Garanel and several of his retainers were invited to the wedding celebration. Garanel was furious about one of his clan marrying not only a Euradite, but a follower of Quellious.
    Consumed by his own rage, Garanel went into a blood frenzy and slaughtered all of the family and guests. Quellious was so angred by this act that she cursed Garanel to never know peace. Garanel's spirit is bound to unrest. By twisting the curse, Garanel was also able to bind the souls of his victims to the estate. He was even able to trap the spirits of visitors that came after the estate was cursed (Swimmer, Gnomish inventor -Bugaboo). He threatens to trap the player's as well.
  9. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Have you ever done the racial quest in Castleview? The Frogloks keep a tadpole creche of Frogloks-to-be in a barrels of water.
    Raising the children seems to be a communal thing, but I can see individuals keeping an eye on some of their progeny as well. just saying external reproduction tends to leave a bit of doubt on who the parents are likely to be unless they stake a sole claim to a certain bog or hot-spring.