Please think about getting rid of stone skins on mobs in zones.

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Conifur, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Conifur Well-Known Member

One of the laziest mechanics in the game, throw a stone skin on a mob. Here is an idea I think would be better. You introduced a new stat called resolve, use that instead as a buff - not a stone skin. That way, as we progress through the expansion gearing up our characters the resolve buff becomes less of an impediment and you are not sitting there waiting for some lame stone skin to wear off.

How it works. Mob A has the zone base Resolve requirements. As you are killing it, instead of casting a stone skin the mob cast a resolve buff that adds to their base resolve. For those who have yet to reach that resolve, it acts as a stone skin - for those who have already progressed past that it does not. When the buff wears off it goes back to the base resolve and all is good for those who have yet to gear up to that "buffed" resolve - but it does not stop those who have progressed past it. Make the buff 50, 100, 150 I don't care.

How you implement it. Look at what the average base resolve is pre-expansion and what it would look like about 6 months in for those who have done the sig line and heroics. Let's say the average base resolve is 700 and with the gear from the sig line and some of the heroics it is now 750. Make the buff 50. That way those who have yet to do those zones will not meet the buffed resolve and it will basically be a stone skin, those that have will be able to keep doing damage. Then, as we grind through the expansion on month 10, we are not sitting there waiting for stone skins to go away.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I think you're wasting your time asking. They really went with the strategy of making you kill the same mob over and over before it truly dies this time, which I find incredibly frustrating:
    • All the mobs in Plane of Disease: Infested Mesa: you kill them down, then they heal all the way up and you do it a total of about four times before they actually die.

• Estryxia in Solusek Ro's Tower: Monolith of Fire is the same.

• PoI: The Wasteyards (Raid) has Karnah of the Source & the Junk Beast which are ridiculously long fights. Karnah has five phases and heals up for each, Junk Beast is one long fight that goes on forever. The first time we killed these it took us over 40 minutes, which is enough to make your carpal tunnel scream.
    I'm sure there are others, these are just the ones that immediately come to mind. It's probably easier to just let the mob heal and make you fight it 4-5 times over than it would be to think up and implement an interesting script for it. I would MUCH rather have an interesting fight... killing a basic tank and spank four or five times over is NOT interesting or a challenge. It's boring and painful.
    In a raid, this lazy mob "scripting" is actually a big downer. You can tell everyone in the raid is bored, since we're basically face rolling, and voice chatter picks up as we try to distract ourselves from the burning pain in our wrists. Thankfully, as we've moved on to T3 and gotten better equipped, the PoI timewaster names are killable in 5-7 minutes now, which is a big improvement over a 40 minute fight, but sheesh! They're boring as heck.
    Conifur likes this.
  3. EmJay Well-Known Member

Well, as far as Infected Mesa, the nameds have increments. As you kill the adds as they come in, the increments go down until they are gone. Then you burn down the named. That's a script.

The Sol Ro mob also is scripted. If you keep the side tower rings balanced by killing the mob on the correctr side of the fire wall, it won't give extra damage. And each time you kill it, the next time if done on the correct side of the wall, it takes less and less damage to reach the next phase. Following the script makes the fight a whole lot easier.

My opinion on the raids are different from yours. I believe when you begin progressing through the tiers of raids, there are dps checks. The better geared and stronger you become the faster the fights are. Those in a raid who don't make the effort to develop their characters outside the raid by infusing, upgrading spells, getting better gear from expert zones if needed and most importantly accumulating the gems needed to get better gear from T2 and T3 definitely does not help and hinders the raid.

I will agree that Innovation Is the most boring zone of the expansion, from solo, heroic and experts, and most of the raids. However, I will not say they aren't scripted.
  4. EmJay Well-Known Member