Please Remove EQ2 Players

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-mozart357, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-mozart357 Guest

From http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=507370

If this is a service that will not be supported, why is SOE keeping the website running?

I should not have to have my character or guild information updated by a service that is no longer supported. If this service will continue to actively update information that I, and others, may consider private, then the playerbase who generates that information should have a right to manage it.

I consider the availability of information to the populace at large as borderline violation to my privacy. One argument may be that SOE owns all rights to material that is created by the players. While this is correct, by removing the website completely, SOE still has access to all character information, and all guild/character information is kept private.

There is no reason to continue the publication of a website if it cannot be supported. Either remove it, or take the opportunity with the upcoming quarter to reexamine the budget. Offer a EQ2 product players will invest in to increase your revenue. LoN and Station Cash are your two largest methods to provide this.
  2. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

You mean, like some sort of way to set your characters to Private?
  3. ARCHIVED-Chiel Guest

A way to set characters to private exists...but the problem that I know I myself have been having is that when I try to set new toons I've created to private...the screen just shows black. I cannot get in to change the new ones and it's driving me nuts. Also, as guild leader on a guild in Splitpaw, I have no options to hide my guild. If you set your characters to private, you can still be found thru your guild. This is easier in smaller guilds and I have found it slightly annoying.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Great another thread with the same topic as probably 10 others on the first page.
  5. ARCHIVED-Silverzx Guest

yes remove it or allow me to hide my characters like before!
  6. ARCHIVED-mozart357 Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    This is an excellent point.

I encourage these threads to continue. Maybe the developers will also get tired of seeing them and decide to do something about the website.

I also encourage the developers to proactively address such issues before the release of major MMOs in the near future, or they will find their fanbase (and primary source of their income) significantly diminished.

I don't feel that Player Retention is what they need to address, but rather bringing those who have left the game back to game. Once the bugs are fixed and old players return, then SOE can focus on retaining those players. Honestly, I forsee the Retention issue to be a losing battle come the holiday season.

Please fix or remove the EQ2Players website.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

These threads always make me think... just exactly what is this person trying to hide what kind of ninja loot do you do on your alts that you feel the need to be able to hide them? Steal a lot of shinies when you run zones? Double dipping in a raid guild that forbids it? Totally pathetic player that doesn't want others to be able to identify what of your other toons not to group with in the future?
    Trying to play the 'privacy issue' card here is the real clapper your virtual toon does not have privacy rights nor is this in any way a violation of your privacy at least the word borderline was used.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    Or maybe they just want to be able to play at their own pace on one of there new toons without thier guildies and friends disturbing them. There does not have to be a sinister reason for it. Why do you have to immediatly think bad about people could it be becuase you yourself would do what you suggested and want to feel better about that?
  9. ARCHIVED-Chiel Guest

I agree with Alenna here...I don't wanna "hide" per se...I just want to be left alone sometimes.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Alenna@Guk wrote:
    I've got no desire or need to hide any of my alts. I have alts that are not in my guild that I am leveling and play when I do not want to be disturbed or are doing other things and spending more time idle in game than actually doing something. If your friends and guildies do not respect you enough, or you do not have enough repsect for them to tell them that when you are on that alt you do not want to be disturbed then that is a problem. I do not steal shinies nor do I ninja loot, I have no need to I can get raid gear for any of my alts, only do pugs with a handful of people that I know act right in a group. I have only looted an item from a heroic instance 2 times out of the last 8 or so runs, greed not included of course. EQ2 players is a great tool for the community to police itself and if it actually worked right it would be better. I just see no reason to hide unless you actually have a reason to hide...
  11. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    Despite the fact that you were just given a reason... Just because you personally would not use something, or don't think it's necessary, doesn't mean others don't have reasons for it - reasons which don't have to be malicious.
    (I'm actually having the opposite problem. Long ago I made my illy's profile private, now I'd like to have alts and such show up so guildies can see my page... but I can't, because it's a totally broken feature for a lot of people.)

Fact is, the site is broken. It's filled with bugs and broken features, and it has been for a long time. It's either time up finally update the site, or to get rid of this aspect of it. Being able to hide characters or not, while an issue, is only part of a much larger problem. A site featuring a bunch of broken context isn't that useful, and it doesn't exactly give a good look to the product.
  12. ARCHIVED-Golbezz Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    I set my alts all private long ago due to issues I had with people bugging me about broker prices trying to get a better deal. I found the items sold for the listed prices and I didn't get bothered when I locked down all my profiles and listed high price items on a less often played alt.
  13. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

Lempo@Everfrost wrote:
    Your paradigm is too narrow, and it's to your own detrement. After you're the victim of continued and repeated harassment and CS does nothing to help you, you may change your tune about hiding alts. Having been on the receiving end of said harassment, I can tell you that the ability to hide alts is a wonderful way to limit a would-be trouble-maker's ability to cause problems.
  14. ARCHIVED-mozart357 Guest

The reason why individuals want to manage privacy settings is for their own personal (and private) reasons. They are too long to list and completely irrelevant. Further, the way guild leaders wish to manage their guild site on EQ2Players is also their own business.

The point is simple: SOE has taken a stance that they no longer support a service that is still actively updating our SOE-related information.

It is a provided service that we cannot
    a) Opt-out -- Our character/guild information updates and posts whether we want it to or not
    b) Get support -- When have you heard of a company giving you a product yet refuses to guarantee it?

SOE also admitted there is a lack of funding to support this service. I cannot help but wonder, if there is an issue with funding, what other services is SOE having problems supporting? They just recovered from a large security breach in which people's real information was comprimised. I would think the EQ2Players service would be among the top fixes with that being considered.
  15. ARCHIVED-Golbezz Guest

Zhadowsee@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I would take it as the employee that was responsible for updating EQ2players is no longer with the company (or was moved to another position in the company) and it's not in the budget to hire someone else to fill that position for an aging game.
    I recently made a new alt (about 2 weeks ago) and had no issues setting the new alt's info to private. I'm curious if those who can't change settings just need to update some of their browser plugins.
  16. ARCHIVED-mozart357 Guest

Golbezz wrote:
    This could be a good point.

What, specifically, have you done to make this work?
  17. ARCHIVED-Meriel Guest

I'm baffled that people are actually advocating EQ2Players stay up. It's broken, buggy, and sets a very poor standard in peoples' minds for the game. There is no reason why it should still be up in the state it's in. None.
    Perhaps $med and Co. should stop throwing money away on new failures, like EQ2Mobile.
  18. ARCHIVED-Golbezz Guest

Zhadowsee@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I just keep all the plugins for my browser updated so it is more a matter of things always working for me on the site. I'm running IE 9 on win7 64bit.
  19. ARCHIVED-mozart357 Guest

I agree with Michayla. If SOE is not planning on addressing this issue, what else in the game are they ignoring? What elements regarding our personal information may also be exposed that are being ignored?

@Golbez--there are many other people who keep their plugins updated who run the same platform you do who are unable to log in to their profile and make changes. I've pointed them to your post; they're curious to know what you're doing. That, along with the fact that SOE has said there is no way to update information at this time, rekindles the question, "What exactly are you doing to make this work?"

If there really is a working solution to this, I'm sure there would be much fewer threads about EQ2Players not working.
  20. ARCHIVED-Juravael Guest

I made a new alt a couple of weeks ago and I was able to go into the admin portion of my eq2players profile for him and set his information to private. This portion of eq2players has been working for me for a while now but the ability to upload any new signature images is still not working for me.
    I am using IE9, Version 9.0.8112.16421, update versions 9.0.2.
    Other than that I have done nothing special.