Please make it stop crashing!

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by kekettykek, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kekettykek New Member

I've just come back to the game after a hiatus of several years and constant crashing is going to drive me away again. I can play for no more than half an hour before my screen goes black, sound starts looping and the only way to recover is to reach for the power switch. Running in fullscreen is impossible as the game locks straight away.

Win10 64-bit. i7-4790k, R9-280x@1440p, 16GB RAM. I can run plenty of modern AAA titles on this setup with no trouble whatsoever.

I've tried everything I can think of. BIOS, GPU and chipset drivers are all up to date. Tried running in XP compatibility mode, running as administrator, used both the Steam and streaming client. 4GB client patch that I've seen mentioned on here. I won't bore you with my dxdiag output as there's nothing of interest in there :)

Help!
  2. Conifur Well-Known Member

Crashing was a feature they put in awhile ago that a lot of people get. Wait until you get the every zone crash.
  3. Nixer Active Member

I get the constant "This account is in use" feature when switching alts and have to reenter password to log back in so I can play the alt. This is extra special for me since I'm an altaholic (20).
    Juraiya and Conifur like this.
  4. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Shmogre likes this.
  5. Morbeous New Member

Not had one crash here - ever and I run Windows 10
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. kekettykek New Member

Prissetta, I've run the DX9 installer but it tells me everything is up to date. I've not installed the files directly to my EQ2 directory but I'll give it a try and report back.
    Prissetta likes this.
  7. kekettykek New Member

Well I eventually fixed it by downclocking my vid card by 50%. You might think that my GPU is dying or I have poor cooling but I can run the FurMark torture test for hours on end without a problem. Very odd.
    Feldon likes this.
  8. CSP84 Well-Known Member

I have since a week similar problems since a week , it seems my CPU goes up to 30-40% , the memory goes and finally the disc space use goes up to a 100% when loading the game and travelling between world.Than my screen goes black.
    How do you get this fixed? What means downclocking my vid card by 50%?

Can someone help ?
  9. axl2219 New Member

Any Help? I keep having my game crash, but i can still hear and talk in voice, and i can use my mouse and it still acts like i can click things when it's frozen. I dont know why it's doing this, ive never ever had this problem until this xpac. I restored my computer, and redownloaded it to try and fix it, and nothing worked.
  10. CSP84 Well-Known Member

Further to my first post, i changed the settings from "Custom" to High performance and other to see if that makes any difference. The problem now is i can't switch back to "Custom" settings.
  11. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

"Custom" setting is not a preset. You gotta go into all the individual settings and change stuff yourself. Once you change 1 thing, it will say "Custom" again. But you gotta do all the changes yourself.
  12. Praetorian Well-Known Member

PC games crash. It's part of the territory. But I would think its something in your local machine that's causing it. Your setup is not terribly different than mine is on my extra machine and I don't have nearly the issues you are. The only difference being I am running 32GB of Ram on my extra machine.

*Try checking to make sure nothing else is running that could be having an issue. Close any other programs that might be running in the background.

*Try taking out your video card and running the game with just the I7 intel video drivers for which that processor can without an issue.

*Do the same with your ram sticks. It's possible that you might have some defective portions of your ram that might not be getting used in some other games but is being used by EQ2. So, boot up with just one ram stick at a time and keep cycling to see if it happens with any or just one of them.

Now, you want to do this anyways because its obviously not a EQ2 issue or EVERYONE would be having the problem. So, go through these steps because it could very well reveal a defective product in your system.
  13. CSP84 Well-Known Member

ShaggyBodom- yeah i finally realized this. However since a couple of days this game has become unplayable.... Every time when the game loads the disc space usage goes up to a 100% and 3-4 minutes into the game the memory goes up from like 1,1,-1,3mb to 1,7mb and as soon as the memory use goes over 50% the screen switches off.
    I played a different game, watched you tube videos, watched football and i had no problems at all.

Can this be fixed?
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... disk space usage goes up to 100%? Memory 1,3 MB ? Can you be a little bit more careful with problem description?
    - If disk space usage goes up to 100% the crash is inevitable.
    - 1,3 MB of memory is nothing. And even 1,3 GB of memory is almost nothing these days. You need at least 4 GB on your PC to play games.
    - Check if your video card is still good enough and check your video card drivers too.
  15. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Please check drivers for your sound system too (in case it is not a part of chipset) !
  16. CSP84 Well-Known Member

Hello Evguenil,
    i think you misunderstood what is being said. Most people, including me, can't play the game since a couple of days. Specifically since the January 5th patch. Up till that moment it was all fine. Furthermore i pointed out that other tasks are easily being handled by my PC.
  17. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. There are 12 days between the 5th of January and 17th of January. It's a bit more than a couple of days.
    "Most people" means more than 50% of people I assume? :)

Please be sure that you have enough free disk space at all times. The lack of free space is dangerous. It means that you PC/laptop is going to crash which leads to file system corruption and file system corruption is bad.
  18. Xentin Member

I am having similar issues since the Jan 5th patch. I can get in game but anywhere from initial login to usually 30minutes it crashes to desktop (my screen isn't going black or anything, just calmly closing). Just windows saying program has stopped working. Originally I was getting this in the EQ2 Logs (copy and pasted from a post last May, reformat lost these logs):
    05-14-16 22:40:12.083 4600 Error Connection::Read Disconnected: this=0x276e130
    05-14-16 22:40:12.083 4600 Warning Service::ShutdownSDK Service Initiated Shutdown: this=0x446f924

However, I am no longer getting logs of any sort, even the Windows Event Logger just has events for closing the program with no more details. This is also completely random, any zone any screen. I can log in and sit at char select and it will randomly close. It has become to the point of unplayable. I am lucky if I get 1hr without crashing, most of the time it has been about 10-20min of in game playing.

I have done the following (no particular order as most have been done multiple times):
    - Reinstalled game completely (5 total times between different setups)
    - Triple checked all drivers, including rolling back anything that had updated in December
    - Deleted all extra UI components (for a few days it felt tied to Darqui/EQ2Maps as on all default I could stay in for a couple hours but this has since changed and even on default I crash constantly)
    - Reformatted my Windows Drive (which is where EQ2 is located)
    - Tried moving EQ2 to a separate SSD
    - Unseated and reseated all components of my PC and dusted (very minimal dust to begin with)
    - Ran RAM and DISK checks (0 errors on my PC)
    - Double checked the old 4GB fix for memory usage, however while monitoring memory the crash can happen anywhere from 1.5gb to 3gb which is normal game use.
    - Tried messing with every possible option in EQ2 (including multi-core support), no matter what settings (extreme low to very high) the game will crash
    - Experimented with using Launchpad.exe, EQ2.exe, Everquest2.exe, all as administrator or Win7 compatibility mode.

All other games on the system are working including new and old (From Overwatch back to P99/EQ1)

The one thing I haven't tried is unseating my video card and using on-board GPU because there hasn't been a new driver since early December and this started on the Jan 5th patches. I have rolled the driver back to a November version and same results.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I just don't know what to do at this point to continue playing. Thanks anyone for any input.

System:
    i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz (tried turning off auto OC also which can take it to 4.6GHz)
    GTX 980 4GB
    16GB RAM
    Win 10

If more needed can post dxdiag.
    Kurisutaru likes this.
  19. Feldon Well-Known Member

EQ2 hard locks my computer after a few minutes. I'll probably have to do the same thing -- downclock the GPU. :( Amazing how every other game does just fine but EQ2 has major problems.
    Kurisutaru likes this.
  20. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member