Please level out the XP bonus across content

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Atan, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

There is a significant issue in the available xp rates for leveling up alts or returning players.

The XP gain rates from 25-65ish are bordering on unplayable for this point in game.

In essence, you've returned the XP rates to what they were at server launch, which was rough but maybe ok given what little top tier content there was for vanilla content.

Now, though the level range is much wider, and there is less and less availability to find players to level with. Moving the xp bonus to EXP04 basically set xp bonus where it was least needed (1-25 and 71-80). 1-25 was always fast, and basically a freebie if you turn in collections, and there is so much questing and copious oportunity for xp gain at top tier it isn't really a challenge.

The problem is everything inbetween is a barren wasteland at this point.

Either include EXP03 in bonus, or set some hot zones with bonus (preferably contested dungeons thruout the tiers.

Ignoring the issue only will lead to faster bleed out of players.

$0.02
    Cheallaigh, Xiao, Grrrrrl and 2 others like this.
  2. Kalika Well-Known Member

If we were in vanilla it would be ok, but the server does not move at the snail initial speed which allowed RoK to last 1 year. This allowed plenty of time for people to catch up.

Note also that the current xp curve is especially detrimental for new players, alts benefiting often from collections, twinking, power leveling, mentoring etc ....

The range 50-55 is probably currently the worst.

You should also remove the vitality drain from questing and make questing xp decent for when people cannot find a group or prefer to follow the timelines. Note also that the level range is now quite large and the population massively concentrated in the last tier, so let people catch up....
  3. Gazorpjp New Member

Agreed.

I just decided to stop playing on FG because the leveling has gotten too burdensome. I only have a lvl 36 zerker as I started up a few days before RoK launched. I'm in a big guild with lots of players but no one is doing lower level content as they are all busy with the bloat of content RoK has. If i can find a group for a dungeon like runnyeye the xp is great, however, I've only gotten 2 dungeon groups in the past week. Soloing at this point isn't viable as I only get like .4/.6% xp from reg mobs in steamfont or similarly leveled zones.

I was having a great time too, but I'm already burnt out.
  4. Zendi New Member

There have been numerous threads and Discord posts on this issue. To date, I have not seen one DBG represeentative either acknowledge the issue or mention a plan for fixing it. I am afraid it is working as they intend.
    Simparri and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Malachy Well-Known Member

Not being obnoxious, but the XP gain is so slow...we really may need progression guilds on the progression server now. Which might beg the next question, why be on the server at all if we can't get to current content to raid with our friends?
  6. Kindread Active Member

This level range is to give people the hook. Get them leveling quick and into the game community and feel like they have accomplished something.

This level range is for the core player base. Most people do not have alts so they want them to feel like the progression is solid and they can get into raids with their friends faster, which is really the driving force for most players on TLE servers.

Levels 26-70 is the cash flow levels. It's where players that reach level 25 and feel that the time invested is wasted if they cannot level up to the current content, so they spend $$ on XP potions, krono, etc to get over the significant hump in order to get to where everyone else already is.

This is why there has been no official word from any devs on the subject, it's because they know it's an issue, but right now the people actually talking about it here on the forums, or in Discord is a small percentage of the playerbase. If they were to announce that a problem existed, then that word would get out that there may be a change coming soon and their sales would lower.

However I disagree with one thing you said:

I leveled up 3 characters when Fallen Gate came out, and helped several friends level up their alts. The XP rates, even in the hellish 26-70 levels, are far better than they once were. The real problem is that there is no longer a plethora of people in those levels to group with. I recently experimented with this. I ran from level 30 to 50 and did each zones quests, and ran any dungeons/instances in that area ONLY ONE TIME. This was just enough XP to move onto the next area, so on paper, the XP is almost perfect, but in reality, finding groups for those dungeons is almost impossible right now.
    Cheallaigh, Kalika and Simparri like this.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

It would eb enough to adjust the xp so that solo time lines provide a path to level 65.

I also see a problem with Everforst and Lavasotrm, lavastorm is full of ^^^ even if many classes can solo them not all can. Everforst is quite better but toward the end you still have ^^^ giants -- even if those are really overconned.
  8. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Pretty sure XP is silly broken compared to a few weeks ago and these are some excuses defending the developers.

No one wants to run every instance/quest in every single zone, most players just want to be 80 and not have to worry about finding the close to zero groups at lower levels.
    Cheallaigh and Kalika like this.
  9. Elskidorr Active Member

If they look back at all the criticism throughout the year, maybe they will get it right on the third TLP attempt. I saw this coming a mile away for RoK launch.

Who knows... maybe they'll fix it.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

I have my doubts here, from the limited responses I've seen, they are following a script of how they move things around as expansions come out. I've seen no indication that they understand the impact of following that script as well as no indication that they have any understanding of the impact of the play experience.

Everything I know tells me they're overloaded with supporting too many different things and the most likely answer is they really don't have a good understanding of the FG play experience as no one from their team is playing on it.

2cp
  11. Tominator Member

Sounds like it's time for a new time lock server!

I heard they're taking suggestions for the new server name. I like 'Slaverjaw'!
  12. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

Tokoz likes this.
  13. Gazorpjp New Member

Look, I don’t want to even care about reaching level cap. I just want to group and do dungeons and group related content. The problem is very few people on the server are bothering to do so. Dungeon runs provide great xp, but no one is running them 30-65.

Based on the previously posted response by roxxlyy, the devs arent going to do anything so the community will have to eventually do something about the attrition. It has only been two weeks, so hopefully people start jumping on alts, however I don’t think that will be the case since from what ive heard everyone did the alt rush when there was a double xp boost ontop of the EoF boosts. This is probably the begining of the end for fg.
  14. Atan Well-Known Member

No...

Really they don't anymore, and that is basically the problem.
    Zenji and Cheallaigh like this.
  15. Neritti Member

I'm gonna say this, it's nice weather outside for a lot of North America. Even during summer on live servers, typically a fair chunk of North American and EU players simply don't log in as much. People have vacations, time off work/school, they go camping, out doing stuff that they can't in cold winter months. Server pops when it's nice weather in NA have typically always dipped a bit. That combined with the crap xp apparently for levelling right now will likely drive some off. You shouldn't *have* to pay up for a bunch of potions just to get OK xp in dungeons. That's just crazy and it will lose members. :/
    Kalika and Cheallaigh like this.
  16. Milksteak New Member

The only thing they will understand is canceled subs. The fact they don't think there is an issue is an issue itself.

If the current xp rates are "as intended" why did you have faster leveling all the way up until now? Why would you wait until several xpacs in to nerf it? Now you've created a situation where you simultaneously added a higher cap and nerfed xp for the majority of the leveling range. You've effectively destroyed any chance at new population, but perhaps that is what they want? I'm sure there is a new TLE announcement right around the corner and they are happy to sunset FG, let the top end finish out and die off and get everyone else on the new server.

I said this before in another thread, but the way this is supposed to work is you pick a duration it takes to get to max level for the average person playing at a moderate pace, taking a little time to smell the roses but generally staying on task. Lets call that X hours. You release an expansion that adds to the level cap. Now, you adjust xp rates so that it STILL takes X hours to get to the level cap, but because there are more levels the rate in which you level increases proportionally to how many levels you've added. It is a pretty simple concept that has worked in many games.

What they've effectively done is go in the opposite directly - harshly. What this does is simultaneously reduce the games replayability with alts and make the barrier of entry much more difficult if not downright impossible for most newer players. In fact the lack of alts further damages the new player experience with a reduced low to mid level population. My worry is that they are looking at population numbers, not seeing this decline because it is being disguised by the surge a new expansion release initially creates and saying "everything is fine". I played on an EQ1 TLE through the end of PoP and every expac we'd have a chunk of people come out to see it, stay for a few weeks and then bail on to other things. The problem is once they go you'll see the decimated low to mid level population. That will eventually work its way up to the high end where guilds will struggle to replace people who naturally leave over time. That is how these servers die, and the changes here in the RoK xpac just put that death in turbo mode.
    Surgeon, Kalika and Cheallaigh like this.
  17. Kindread Active Member

Look, I know I am going to get bashed ... again, for saying this, but I literally JUST leveled up from 1 to 70 and the dungeon XP is quite fantastic until about 55ish. Granted I never played EoF, and have been told that the XP rates were just stupid high in that period. The current XP rates are VASTLY better than in vanilla and DoF, and if you just do the base content in each zone ( along with the dungeons) it is pretty much exactly what you need to level. Now, as I said there is a under 70 population problem and maybe the XP rates should be adjusted because of that. But you all make it sound like it’s terribly broken when in reality, it’s probably the closest to perfect as I’ve ever seen it (again, assuming you can get a dungeon group).
  18. Tominator Member

Along with many of the other reasons given, another consideration for difficulty in getting low-mid level groups is limited population to draw from.

At any given time, there may be 100-150 people logged in. As more expansions get released, that limited population is spread over a greater area. I'd argue most are focusing on new content/end game, which doesn't leave much for everything else. That will only get worse as more expansions are released.

So...when the level cap was say 50 or 60, groups were plentiful because a majority of the player base were relatively in the same range. Now that the cap has hit 80, that isn't the case & will only get worse each expansion.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  19. Xiao Member

Please fix the XP rates for lower level ranges for the server's sake
    Atan and Kalika like this.
  20. Surgeon Active Member

This thread in a nutshell is the whole issue with this company and why the game is in the state it is right now.

When has this company EVER listened to anything players, the people who actually play/test their **** game, say?
    They already said "if you don't like it get the **** out" in the past, maybe in nicer words but you get the drift. Vote with your wallets. As usual it's the only language they understand.
    Cheallaigh likes this.