Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Estred Well-Known Member

I have been behind on my hair-project as I have more learning to do. Luckily Arbiter gave me a nice link to a video that may help me out in setting up the UV's.

I can see about attempting one, I may have some time. Today marks the day I have to start watching a lot of tutorials because I am attempting to make a full character from scratch to being actually in the Unreal Game Engine.
    Rawl likes this.
  2. Rawl Well-Known Member

Estred! Cool! Sounds like quite a project ahead of you. David Ward does a lot of Blender tutorials about making and rigging characters. They are available on YouTube is you search for his name, you will find them. (That is, if you are interested in seeing them.)
    Its good to learn, keeps your mind stirred up and those neural nets growing :) Much success to you!
  3. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so excited to see what you both can come up with!
  4. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    This has a pretty hi tri count, so I'm not sure whether they'd approve it or not. I could submit it and see what happens. I'd probably have to rework it some since I don't know how they do surfacing for glass/crystal objects. They'd have to add the candle flame effect too.

Anyway, this is for you :)
    TarnaX likes this.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

I use 3ds Max not Blender so I will be looking at those, but thanks for the support. When I finish it you can find it on my personal website which is currently still under construction it's a bit "template like" at the moment.

If it has more than 2000 Triangles it has too many. For glass/Crystal that is really difficult to do without using Opacity/Reflection maps. I may suggest trying to just capture part of the aspect.

I would put a Reflection map on it and take a render from 1 angle and use part of that is the Diffuse color to make an illusion. Alternatively you can just texture it like a unrefined Quartz which would be easier but it would not look like a cut-crystal chandelier.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

The tri count is something over 1700 which is below their 2k max, but on other stuff I've submitted that was less than 2k tri, they said the tri count was too high for something that size, even though it is less than 2k. They said something like it wouldn't render for small objects with high tri count.

I guess I don't understand what you are describing. Player Studio only allows you to have one map, so if what you are referring to requires another map, they wouldn't accept it. And, since I'm just learning Blender, I don't know how to do reflective surfaces yet. Is the reflection like another texture you add along with the defused color, normals and spec maps?

3D Max is a very expensive program, isn't it? I wish I could afford something like that, but if I could, I'd have another learning curve to go through. :)
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Depends on the size. If it was rejected it probably was not economic use of polygons for an object so small. If I won't see an object at a distance closer than 20m then I don't need an 8-sided cylinder for a post, I can use a 5 sided or even a 4 sided one.

An 8 sided prism would be more than enough for the crystals unless you wanted length in which case you could use a 12 sided Prism.

Reflections are a separate map. What I am saying is render out that map, and combine it with your Diffuse map to give the illusion of reflections (at least of the item itself). In this case the crystals would show parts of the chandelier metal in the reflections and thus could be put into the diffuse.
  8. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

I think... I love you. *snuggles Rrawl... and Estred too, just because*
  9. Oldtimer Active Member

While I very much appreciate the efforts of the decorating community of EQ2 can anyone please explain the bizarre urinary/fecal fixation that is compelling so many people to try and impose water closets on this bathroom-less utopia?
    Feara and Truian like this.
  10. Afista Well-Known Member

Ummm everyone has to go, right? Where else are they supposed to go? :p
  11. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

*snerks*

I usually put toilets (or at least a bucket) in most of my homes for practicality reasons. Otherwise, they have to find a bush to use, which I've also done. Sometimes, I'll just put a door there that leads to nowhere (like a guild door) and claim that it leads to the water closet.

It's a hobby to decorate houses. They serve no practical use except for holding our wonderful AA mirrors and giving us a place to sell things on the broker. We don't really sleep in game, so why do we have beds? We use goblins to gamble, so why do we have pool tables, cards, and slot machines? Why not set aside a small enclosed space for a water closet?

As Spindel would say, "There are no bathrooms on the Starship Enterprise." (inside joke) I sure would hate to be that crew.
  12. Rawl Well-Known Member

I know your question was probably a rhetorical one, but here's my 2 cents worth anyway :)

I wouldn't call it a fixation, but rather an element of our human existance as physical beings. The reason I include bathrooms in my in game homes is because it seems appropriate to me. I know there isn't a need for it within the limited expression of the game world, but then again, there really isn't a need for gender differences either because in the game world, gender is only an appearance which is true of many elements within the game world. So most of what is included within the game world only has a visual function rather than a practical function.

Practically speaking the only functions within the game world are movement (which includes hostile interactions with the inhabitants,) and communications. When you strip away all the stuff that isn't actually functionally necessary, the game wouldn't have the elements which we are drawn to and find interesting, amusing and entertaining.

When you strip away the appearances, statistically there is little difference between a human bard and a ratonga bard, which could be said of any race/class coupling. So without the visuals, the mechanics are statistical, so we'd basically be numbers crunching.
  13. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    You pay more for the fancy frills, :)
    TarnaX and Cyliena like this.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

Well I have an update for the hair.
    For our Dark Elves who may desire looking after having just been roughing it, or having a rough night ;)
    [IMG]
    I also have the base hair done for the new Ponytails (as seen earlier in this thread) for the Half-Elves.
    [IMG]
    I hope to have the Ponytails themselves added soon. Thanks again to Arbiter for giving me that link.

Phew made the Edit Timer Here is the 1st pass (500 Triangles exactly).
    [IMG]
    TarnaX, Cyliena, Feara and 1 other person like this.
  15. Estred Well-Known Member

Well there goes the timer.... I forgot this was the Item Thread... not the Hairstyle thread. XD my mistake.
    Cyliena, Feara and Rawl like this.
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

Estred, the one picture looks like she's got rabbit ears ;) but nice job. And thanks for sharing your pictures. I enjoy seeing what others are working on. feel free to share any pictures on this thread of stuff you are working on.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

I'll work on it, these kinda came out... less appreciative from my other ones so I may have to scrap these and remake the pony-tails at least. The one for Dark Elves will be submitted tonight :) luckily doing Hair fell in with my already scheduled work for making a character, I still have concepting to do.
    Rawl likes this.
  18. Feara Well-Known Member

I really, really love this! Awesome job, just awesome.
    Powdder Pufff, Karrane and Rawl like this.
  19. Feldon Well-Known Member

Very soon, PlayerStudio will have new forums which allow each designer to showcase their items and get feedback about them from other designers. A lot of effort is being spent to get the PlayerStudio forums really polished.
    Rawl likes this.
  20. Rawl Well-Known Member

I heard about that. As I understand it you have to already be in the "inner circle" of approved submitters to have access to that forum. The forum therefore is not available to the general public or those who submit stuff but haven't had it approved. That's fine, it is just a matter of creating something they approve of, which as it turns out, is harder than you might think.