Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

My suggestion basically was that the pillars be separate items and the walls separate items, not connected. If Jerry isn't interested in doing this set, then hopefully Shadowplay or one of the other PlayerStudio artists would be. :)

I understand that it is up to the devs to make glass, mirrors, and semi-transparent items, but the item could be designed by the PlayerStudio artist, then the artist could request the item(s) be made this way. As to whether the devs would approve it or not is an entirely different story and a chance the artist takes. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Rawl Well-Known Member

The Player Studio artists can submit stuff which uses an alpha channel map which is basically a white and black image which tell the software where an item is transparent and where it is not. This is much different than a glass shader, which we don't have access to, nor do they allow us to submit items which actually look like glass. this is also true of metal objects, which we have to fake the metallic appearance because they use different maps which we aren't allowed to include when submitting items. I don't know how much work is involved to apply glass shaders to an item, but I'm guessing it isn't a simple task. Any additional time the developers have to spend to get an item ready to be added to the marketplace increases the cost for doing so, so it requires a greater number of sales to break even, particularly since I price my items so low. I'm pretty sure they'd like my items to be priced closer to the 1500 DBC range than the 350 DBC which I typically state as my suggested price. This is particularly of concern to them when I make stuff they don't believe will sell enough to make back their money for time invested to add the item(s) to the marketplace, and it may be why some items have previously been declined. I could easily increase the suggested price for new items I submit, but i'm concerned that if I do that, the items may more easily make it to the marketplace, but fewer people would buy them, and fewer people would buy more than one of them. I've asked for pricing guidance from the devs, but so far, they haven't responded.

To put time invested in creating items for the marketplace into perspective, if I was to be paid a minimum wage for time spent creating these items, (in California it is $10.50 per hour,) and then I priced them accordingly for the time I spent creating them, most items would exceed the $100.00 mark. As it is, now, I get 40% of the price I suggest for items, so 40% of $3.50 is $1.40 per item. So, at this rate I'd have to have thousands of my items purchased to receive even the minimum wage value for the time I spend creating them.

Clearly, money isn't my motivation for creating the stuff I do, If I can make it, I create stuff because you people want it, and often it is stuff I want to use in my own decorating endeavors as well. And, because I like doing this, creating things for you and me. But, money IS the motivation for Daybreak Games, they NEED to make money to continue to operate as a business.

I know this was a lot to read, but I hope it shines a light onto what goes on behind the scenes. It isn't a simple subject to fully understand, there are complexities which even I am not privy to, and what I've stated is partly speculation since the Daybreak team doesn't share any of this type of information with any of the Player Studio artists, (with regard to the financial matters other than we get 40% of the suggested price we request.)

They have often stated to me, if people say they like the items I make, that doesn't mean they will actually buy them, and just because one person asks for something, doesn't mean they will actually buy it, and if they do, it may not have mass appeal enough for other people to also buy it. With the low price I set for my items, it take longer for them to break even, which shouldn't be a problem if they believe they will eventually break even and make more than the cost for adding it. I sense doubts that some of these items I make will ever make money for them above and beyond the cost of adding them to the game. They lack confidence in the buying public's commitment to supporting the Player Studio made items, so they err on the side of caution.
  3. Rawl Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what I should make next. I thought about making doll houses, but then realized because of their size, the tri count would be very limiting, so making them turns out not to be a good idea.

If you have some ideas for things you'd like to see in game, that you would actually buy and others would buy as well, please share your ideas here. Example pictures are always helpful too. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I like the square (well, square in cross-section; rectangular in length) columns/pillars idea for the ruins set...with some being ruined and others not, plain/simple enough they could fit in just about anywhere, but have enough doodads here and there (preferably at the top, where we could hide them if need be) so that the Powers won't freak out and think you're trying to do actual Building Blocks for us. Y'know, some in blue marble, white marble, red marble, black marble, with different enough designs at the top--whoops... ;->

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I need some curved walls, some plain, some with arches. I've been struggling to recreate the Inverted Tower for a couple of years now, and the same curved walls would be good for making round towers and turret rooms.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rawl, Gretel, Prissetta and 3 others like this.
  6. Febrith Well-Known Member

I totally second this request - I've been working on a castle complex idea since I don't know when and dropped it - curved walls would be just the fillip I need to buck me up!
  7. Rawl Well-Known Member

This second picture is beautiful. I don't think I could make something like that because the tri count would be through the roof :) I can make some quarter round curved walls, decorated enough to be acceptable to the devs.
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

Work in progress for a patio deck with planters and benches:

front view
    [IMG]

3/4 front view
    [IMG]

rear view (against the wall side)
    [IMG]
  9. Rawl Well-Known Member

REV 1. for the fold out desk (they won't allow an open version and closed version, so I am working with the open version.) Of course, they didn't like the plane wood, so I've added these designs to it. (no normals bump has been added yet.)

[IMG]
  10. Rawl Well-Known Member

I just submitted Rev 1 to EQ2 Player Studio of the "Decorated Foldout Desk with Shelves"

[IMG]
  11. Katz Well-Known Member

Beautiful. I want these especially for my kelethin homes.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would go really well there, especially if the trim were a tad bit more golden (if the devs turn it down again...), but otherwise, this looks ready to go! :)

Uwk
    Merriel, Rawl and Prissetta like this.
  13. Shadowplay Well-Known Member

I think i may do the babies you mentioned Jerry. Gotta get the Tinkerfest and NotD sets made first.
    Spextasy, Ocarinah, Merriel and 3 others like this.
  14. Rawl Well-Known Member

That will be very nice, then all those baby beds I've made can be put to good use :)
  15. Rawl Well-Known Member

I still need to do the detailing, but this is with the basic textures applied. What do you think?
    [IMG]
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Very cool! I can envision not only shrubs and such but also saplings for shade. :)

Uwk
    keenly interested in shade these days... :-/
    Merriel, Prissetta and Rawl like this.
  17. Rawl Well-Known Member

Ready to submit this "Out Back Patio Deck" to Player Studio:

[IMG]
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

I think this is pretty close to being ready to submit. After making this, I think I will also make a straight wall with the same textures on it so you can mix and match as you see fit.

[IMG]
  19. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Nice! Can you do one that's got an archway in the middle as well?
  20. Rawl Well-Known Member

yes