Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

Because white often gets too bright in game, I thought I'd add some color which is reflected in these two parts I've mostly completed so far. What do you think?

[IMG]
  2. Rawl Well-Known Member

ready to be submitted:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Mugwort, Ocarinah, Merriel and 4 others like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, she's a cutey! :D

And yeah, stark white gets ridiculous after awhile; I've had to learn all sorts of tricks to not get literally snow-blinded when I'm in the "new" Frostfell Village at like high noon or so (the first year, we had a LOT of complaints about that, reports of bad headaches, etc. I was, at one point, slapping on a pair of sunglasses just so I wouldn't have to squint in pain the entire time). Turning off the Personal Torches is just the beginning. :-/

Uwk
    who wonders if it would be better or worse if the Powers did the snow like the Glacial building blocks we can make... :-/
    Merriel likes this.
  4. Merriel Well-Known Member

At first I was thinking I didn't like the white base around the bottom, but then I got to thinking, actually that is a good color, because using your imagination, you could think of it as white foam churning around the sea serpent as it 'swims' through the water. Love the color you chose for the serpent itself. Though I'm not a fan of green, this is a sea serpent, so green makes sense for it and it's more of a muted or faded sea-foamy green. :)
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or even like the green on that "sea cucumber horse" flying mount (Umbral Blightmare)! That's something that looks like it was plucked up from the sea floor. :D

This may be a stupid question, but will she "float" or "sink"? In other words, if I want to put her out on my ocean in, say, a Snowy Dwelling or Vale of Halfpint Delight, will I need to set up a column or tile or ship or something for her to sit on first (and take it away later)? ;->

Uwk
    Rawl and Merriel like this.
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

Most likely. I mean, you even have to do that for placing ships in a house. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Rawl Well-Known Member

It is likely going to be so that it sits on the bottom, or floor, or ground, so you'd have to use the elevate function in the housing tools to bring it up to the top of the water. That is pretty easy to do.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

there is an adjustment in game so you can turn down the light a bit, depending on your preferences.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

This is true...as long as the floor isn't too far down! :D

Though I do recall Valzen making amazing additions to her Snowy Dwelling over the water area...but she didn't go too far out, and iirc, used big columns, as initial building supports and design elements (she's amazing). With the Snowy I had, I had a purchased ship and a li'l rowboat, and even those, I had to use tiles first to place them (and even then, the rowboat "leaked"). Fortunately, the nearby ice floes helped out with the larger ship; connect tiles to that and string them out, and you can pretty much place anything as far out to sea as desired. ;->

Heh! I can see it now...like something out of the most recent Godzilla movie, increase the size of the head, back, and tail, and have it ominously heading for shore/bridges/any ships (ooh! Galleon of Dreams area? Hmm...), stopping only now and then for pictures... :D

Uwk
    Prissetta, Merriel and Rawl like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was one of the first things I did, but it wasn't until this year that I learned how to save various configurations that can be brought up with a touch of a button or so. Turning down the light levels just because of the Frostfell Village made everything else really dark. ;->

But now, I'll be able to try out that other method...if I can find it again... ;->

Uwk
    Merriel and Rawl like this.
  11. Rawl Well-Known Member

The water effect is a flat plane effect, so when we put something on it, the effect continues to be flat and therefore shows through anything that isn't similarly flat, so that's why the row boats leak. Items placed into the water don't displace the water because it doesn't have volumetric geometry like some games have. (that takes a lot more computational power to implement that type of water, which would or could include splashing, etc.)
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

True, though we do have some "splash" effects, from what I understand (haven't really kicked those up on my system here yet; not sure how far they go). And this is an old game, with an old engine, so I just tossed some rolled-up rugs and other stuff on the floor of the rowboat, like it hadn't been unloaded all the way yet. ;->

The Marketplace ship, at least, was "thick" enough that you couldn't tell what was going on "below decks"... :D

Uwk
    Prissetta, Merriel and Rawl like this.
  13. Rawl Well-Known Member

Working on this GnomeWorks Control Panel (as requested by one of my Facebook group members.)
    The Grouchonator Equivolator Control Panel:

[IMG]
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

YES!! We need more stuff like this! :D

But better make it steam-powered, or someone's gonna freak out about it. :D

Uwk
    Rawl, Febrith and Merriel like this.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

That's what pipes and those bubbling pipe things we have in game are for. So we can make it steam powered ourselves, hehe.

So I saw that and I'm thinking, it would be so cool if you could make something like these speakers (the one on the right, to be sold in pairs) to go with it, with a sort of pulsating animation effect something similar to the animation on the Temple of Life item, and it could be an item that goes with that machine you are making. :D

[IMG]
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Heh! And I could plug my Acoustic Guitar (soon to be mic'ed!) into them with one of those LnL fishing poles... :D

Heck, just turn a Temple of Life on one edge and bury it in the speakers. Boom. Effect! ;)

Uwk
    Merriel and Rawl like this.
  17. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

That would be awesome to have speakers...and maybe some music notes coming out of them along with the temple of life effect. I should post how I created speakers in one of my houses...it uses the temple of life and the book from a frostfell quest which has music notes coming out of it. Just in case Jerry cannot make speakers for us.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah! Wasn't that for your night club...? :)

Uwk
    Merriel and Ocarinah like this.
  19. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Yes :D
    [IMG]

The silvery middle ring is the temple of life just cannot see it throbbing.

[IMG]
    Merriel, kianne, Rawl and 3 others like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of...very cool! :)

What's the address of it again? I should pop round and visit in person; there are many lovely things on that console I'd love to steal--ah, be inspired by. :D

Uwk
    who really doesn't know that much about night clubs, but digs consoles... ;->
    Merriel and Prissetta like this.