Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Today's offering, the GnomeWorks 5000 Ice Box, keeps your ice from melting for days longer!
    (Disclaimer: Not responsible for injury caused by misuse of this device.)
    Twyxx, Cyliena and Morg like this.
  2. Karrane Well-Known Member

I am really sorry they didn't accept the kitchen set. The part that blew me out of the water was where they said "too mass produced looking, and not matching the style they want to have in the game ". Up till now, most of the style has been "rescue mission" ..........................
    grlnxtdr and Rawl like this.
  3. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

These are wonderful and I would get them for my house(s)!
    Rawl likes this.
  4. Rawl Well-Known Member

Thanks Quiarrah, I hope you will be able to :) I want them for my homes too :)
  5. Morg Well-Known Member

Awesome!! This is just dying for a "you want a drink? Take your chances" animation! Are you allowed your food/drink? Or does it sprout arms and throw you to the ground and jump on you? Sorry, in a silly mood today!

I do love this! Saves sooo many item counts for making them! And i Loved your kitchen cabinet sets!! I would have bought 1set for each of my houses! Yes, I own lots of houses, 9 characters, each has at least one home and 7 have prestige houses. And that kitchen set would have gone perfectly in each and everyone of them!! Dang SOE!!
    Cyliena, Karrane and Rawl like this.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

I had great confidence the Sumac kitchen counter and wall unit would be approved because I modeled them using the in game Sumac Armoire. (which btw doesn't meet the criteria stated below,) I am very dissapointed to say, the counter has been declined with these reasons stated: (in part)
    "...To keep submitted items more in line with what we release in EverQuest 2 now, we'd expect to see age, scuffing, trim work and more detail across any area of repetitious material as mentioned in our style guide."
    I'm curious to know whether you, the people who do the most home decorating, want to buy stuff from the Station Cash Store which is aged and scuffed looking. (in most cases) Do you want stuff that matches some of the items already in game so that you don't have to use multiple things in weird ways to get the look(s) you want?

Apparently, the art directors in charge of reviewing Player Studio submission have no clue what players want, either that, or they don't care. There are only 4 house furniture currently available. While they are nice, they aren't items I'm interested in buying or using in my home decorating efforts. Certainly not anything I'd spend real money to buy. Are you interested in spending real money to decorate your in game homes only on stuff that looks aged and tattered? Would you like to see more stuff that is style appropriate yet "new" looking? Would you like to have this choice?

I understand the art director's interest in maintaining the quality and consistency of the style of items in the game. I don't understand how they expect the Player Studio Store items to be successful (and profitable,) by being so restrictive of what they approve. Imagine if the stores you shop at in real life where so nitched. My experience in real life is the market will tell you want is popular or not by what they spend their money on. In order to have a choice, the store has to makea variety of items available to you. Apparently the SoE Station Cash Store's shelves are rather bare and limited in selection due to their nitch approach to product approval.

Maybe they (art directors et al.) will read your reply comments and learn more of what appearances of house items is most desireable to you the people who have the greatest interest in home decorating.

Thanks in advance to those of you who post your thoughts in reply to this commentary.

Best regards,
    Juraiya, Shadrac and Morg like this.
  7. Kisy Active Member

I'm personally tired of stuff that is all dinged up. I don't want dirty rugs, or knotched bar shelves.

I would like things that match the ingame building blocks and tiles, just so that we can have things coordinate better. I don't so much mind aged items ... but I still want them to look nice and not lilke they were in the ring with a couple of drunk dwarves.
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

Maybe if enough people support and approve of these items I've already submitted (and have been declined,) those who have the ability to reverse prior decisions will step up and heed the votes of approval and interest the players present here.

I don't know whether anything that has been declined even has the possibility to be reinstated and approved. I hope that is possible. I also hope they let your vote of interest in owning these items for your in game home decorating will assist them in their decision(s) to reinstate/approve items like the ones I've offered thus far.

Let your replies be your votes.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Juraiya and Morg like this.
  9. Karrane Well-Known Member

I know for myself, I HATE all the aged and scuffed items. I find a really pretty ( well, could be pretty) rug...................... and ewww, its all dirty and nasty looking 8(. So I find myself using the same "clean" looking stuff over and over.

Decorating a new living room and placing a nice stained couch in it isnt my idea of fun.

I would buy those counters and kitchen sink in a heartbeat Rawl. I hope they change their minds.
    Moonpanther, Morg, Kisy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ivory Member

Aged? So we can no longer produce new looking items in Norrath? I guess production of furniture ended centuries ago and all we have is what has survived since then?

Scuffing? Do they think we have regular bar brawls in our homes?

Requiring Trim work? I thought your designs were nicely trimmed... Guess I have poor taste.

And this sounds like they need to take their own advice "more detail across any area of repetitious material." Let's face it there are many items available in game right now that are player made, quest rewards, and offered for station cash that do not follow these guidelines.

Rawl please do NOT stop trying. Myself and many others hope to see your creations in game!!
    Morg and Rawl like this.
  11. Morg Well-Known Member

The furniture soe offers on the sc marketplace is most certainly not dinged up or dirty, i'm thinking the cherry wood, ebony, castellum. the halas stuff is yes, but that is pretty much it that falls into their "guide lines".

I may be dirty and dusty and dinged up from adventuring, that doesn't mean thats how I want my home to look! I 100% prefer the clean lines and unsullied looks of your items!

Maybe add in some decorative trim? like a lil scrollwork i don't know just throwing out an idea i just had.

Some of that stuff of theirs could use LESS repetitious detail work across it, and more true to life detail on it. like the wall pieces and blocks.
    Rawl likes this.
  12. Rawl Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Here is the GnomeWorks Elite Stove. Your food will taste better because this one looks better than the standard model. Pay the price, get the best! ;)
  13. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Furniture shouldn't be dinged up or aged or dirty, especially if it's based off of an in-game material and style! Oi. My goodness, I've made sumac kitchens (below... which are NOT dinged up or aged!) and was really looking forward to seeing your on the market. Can you give feedback to their feedback, or re-submit explaining more about why the item looks as it is?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Powdder Pufff and Rawl like this.
  14. Afista Well-Known Member

The first cabinets I can see not getting approved because, although I could see myself using them somewhere, I agree that they don't look like something that would be put into EQ2 as an approved item fitting with the environment.

I really thought the sumac cabinets might make it in because they do look similar to what's available allready. But, then again, maybe that is the problem? Maybe they are too close to what's allready available.

The ice box is pretty neat, it might be considered too plain though for a SC item though.

Now the stove is super awesome! I loooooove it :D At first glance I thought it might be too modern, but then I opened my eyes a bit more and realized it could be a coal burning stove, so it should be time-fitting. Especially considering we've got things like grandfather clocks on the marketplace allready.

As far as items being reviewed, I think you have to rework the item and resubmit. I'm sure they are swamped with submissions and just look at new items comming through. There's a thread in the Player Studio forums of a bathtub that was submitted and declined. It was reworked, resubmitted, and now the set it's with looks really nice and I'm sure we'll see it on SC sometime soon.

Just keep at it, you've got some great ideas and I'm sure something will go through eventually :)
    Karrane, Cyliena and Rawl like this.
  15. Rawl Well-Known Member

I have sent an email to "playerstudio" <playerstudio@soe.sony.com>, wherein I attached a picture of the Sumac Armoire and indicated I modeled the Sumac kitchen counter and wall unit off of that Armoire. I also wrote that they apparently have a double standard as to what they allow in game, and there is no valid reason for them decline the Sumac furniture I've submitted because it is styled and appears similar to something which is already in the game.

I got a reply from Rick who indicated he forwarded my message to the art director. Typically when that happens, or at least so far, it has been like the matter fell into a black hole, never to be heard or seen again. I hope the lack of responsiveness is due to their workload being heavy rather than the matter vanishing into the trash bin.

On a previous occassion where I submitted suggestions and reasonings about the in game furniture "style and appearance" I got a message forwarded back to me, via Rick, from Dave Georgenson the Director of Development for the EverQuest Franchise, wherein he indicated the art director(s) are responsible for the decisions and he supports whatever decision(s) they make.

So, if the decision to reverse the decline decision is in the hands of the Art Director(s). Maybe if others send emails to playerstudio@soe.sony.com, expressing their support for some of the items I've submitted that were declined, they may elevate the matter to where it gets favorable attention.

Best regards,
  16. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oh. :( I was really looking forward to seeing those in game, especially the stove & oven. Hopefully, they'll change their minds? I'll definitely send my support.

I asked Eden this, but she didn't feel she was able to do it yet. I've always wanted a crystal chandelier. A real crystal chandelier with a warm light, not the fire emerald one with the green mist. They have that style already in game as a bone chandelier, but it's all dirty bones. If only the ropes were gold loops and chains and the bones were crystals hanging down. /makes wish

At any rate, I do hope they'll reconsider. Perhaps all they want is some re-texturing?
    Karrane and Cyliena like this.
  17. Rawl Well-Known Member

Sapphirius:
    I could model something similar to the one you provded the picture of, but I don't know how they'd handle the material of the crystals, possibly the "sparklie" effect applied to them. Also because of the size of the item, even though they allow up to 2k triangles in the mesh which forms the item, in reality, something like this would have to have a much lower count so that it would render properly. I could see what I can come up with using the picture you provided as a guild, then post what I make here. I could work on that next week.

What they want me to do with the Sumac furniture I've submitted is scuff it up and add stuff like the scrolling I added on the stove. I don't want to make it old and worn looking, so if they can't accept this version, I'm not interested in making a dumpy looking version because I don't think it would sell as good and I wouldn't want it in my houses.

BTW, I bought 5 more Tenebrous Islands last night, so now all my toons have one, and I have 5 more Island decorating opportunities ahead of me :) That should keep me out of mischief ;)

Best regards,
    Karrane and Cyliena like this.
  18. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

You are so awesome! *snuggles*
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

That would be difficult given the intricacy of a chandelier, I could probably do it, but the crystals would be solid and no light would be given off unless the EQ2 Art Team added it post-submission.
  20. Rawl Well-Known Member

Estred, they will do FX stuff if the approve the item for SC Store, so it is possible to create a chandelier and have them add glow or whatever. In the submission form, you can request they do it.

I was looking at picture on the web, I was thinking of making a candleabra that hangs from the ceiling like a chandelier, and adding some dangly stuff. I'm not the best at this stuff yet, so I don't know what it would end up looking like. I thought I'd give it a try anyway, for the fun of it.

I hope yo will take a shot at it, and give us a preview here if you would. :)