Player Studio Houses Coming! Big Decorating Sale Too!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I mentioned that in response to your comment regarding EQ subscriptions being all-inclusive. It wasn't a slight against anyone. You made it sound like you were being forced to pay more to get the full EQ experience. I was simply correcting you, because the fact remains that 15$ a month in either game gives you full access to all the regular features of the game. The items are generally cosmetic. You're not going to sit there and try to tell me that heritage armor or castellum furniture is anything other than cosmetic. They have zero effect on the core game, which (whether you like it or not) is the adventure game. I'm not dismissing the crafting / decorating games, which I take part in more often than anything else these days on a silver sub. I'm acknowledging what came first and what continues to drive both games.

Again, I feel some people are taking this whole thing way too personally / seriously. If anyone should be offended, it should be me. I'm the one constantly being vilified for simple commentary perceived to be "fierce" or "rude". Most of my commentary gets twisted into some kind of crazed rant in defense or against something or someone. I also have a tendency to be direct and not sugar coat anything and I take exception to the fact that you come out here and call me rude for my statement, while you try to defend your good name. Bitter may not be a good description, but emotional seems a better fit.
    Elostirion likes this.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, when you do any kind of creative work for any company, the copyright belongs to them, especially when you do work in their environment or use their tools. Along with a W-9, you're likely to get a contract for accepting these terms. It's probably in the EULA already. SOE will generally not be concerned about what copying goes on within the game until someone tries to submit a house that's already been submitted. That house will simply be rejected. It will be no worse than using a celebrity's name for your name.
    ShyMidnight likes this.
  3. ShyMidnight Active Member

Maybe all that tax/international participation debate merits a separate thread? I'm guessing that the issue of international participation in PlayerStudio has been around since the PlayerStudio project launched last year. I think it would be more powerful to put all that reaction in one "power-thread".

Hoping to get detailed (finalized) decorating guidelines soon! :D

SM
  4. Cyliena Well-Known Member

I just got to look at the sale items last night, thanks for the sale, very appreciated. I wasn't interested in much but I did pick up some more of the Brewer vine packs, they were nicely priced. :)
  5. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute. When people create items for SC, they get a free item in game, right? So why can't we keep our house and items as the "free sample"? I know several people who've wanted a library or temple with the Pridewing Lions guarding the entrance, but no one is willing to part with them since you have to gamble your life savings to get one in most cases (/glares at the people who introduced gambling real money via a loophole).
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

Griffon Lady,

That also occurred to me.
  7. Councellor Member

Not to say the SOE or EQII isn't 150% above board and completely honest and all about doing what's best for the player <winks> but what sort of check and balance system is in place to verify how many of the actual Player Studio items a submitter actually sells? Only reason I ask, is that if I were to go to the time and effort to develop an item / house, get it approved for sales, then get told after a month I only sold one (or none), short of coming across them in game and counting them/taking screenshots etc, what sort of verification method is provided to the sellers so we can confirm we are getting our just dues? I mean, you're asking for a W9 from us, what do we get from you? I'm sure this question has come across many minds, but I've yet to see any sort of comments addressing this issue. Thanks for responding o_O
  8. Skree Malicious New Member

Still patiently awaiting Canada to be included in Player Studio! *looks around...*..... ehem.
  9. ksheila New Member

Hi Jess.. I know this is a little old and I'm sorry for that.. and maybe not fully on topic, but I'm a little desperate at this point. I love decorating and it is how I spend most of my time on EQ2 since 2007. So I of course wanted to try your Layout editor. The problem is, I can't seem to find and download anything up to date. I get one version that is old and it says is a beta. I found another version I thought.. but it does nothing.. I mean nothing... it doesnt have the option buttons like the beta one. Also I tried working with the beta one, but I don't really understand a lot and cant seem to find any clear instructions except for older versions. Please help.. and again I'm sorry to bug you.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

Wrong section =) You'll want to post in the Norrathian Homeshow if you have any housing/decorating issue.

http://www.eq2designers.com/?page_id=7 Is the main page for Jesdyr's layout editor. There's the download & instructions as well as some tutorials.
  11. That guy. Well-Known Member

Never understood the thinking behind this "player studio" malarkey.

If you can't get people to buy most of the the crap in your cash shop that's made by "professionals", why waste space filling it with more crap made by amateurs? That'd be like some loon expecting me to pay for his Skyrim mod. lol
  12. Juraviel Active Member

Honestly a lot of the Player Studio items that I have seen (and bought) are of better quality than the standard items being offered by SOE. Some of the shields, cloaks, and furniture items are fantastic and the people creating them pay special attention to detail, which for me means a lot.
  13. snarlycarly New Member

I like the Player Studio items and have bought quite a few of the housing items. Each to his own I suppose but I found the quality of them to be fantastic. If you don't like them, then don't buy them but it's not very cool to come on an insult the people that work so hard on these items.
    SierraDawn, Kurisutaru and Karrane like this.
  14. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Income tax laws are the most likely reason it is staying in the US
  15. Wanic Active Member

Why did this get necroed?
    Thought some new and exciting way geting us to spend SC had appeared :(
  16. Kyrei New Member

Has this idea been killed? I am curious to know if it was still in development or not? I enjoy the idea of being able to sell houses as it would seem more realistic to me as a decorator to make a market for the houses I enjoyed crafting.
  17. Cinnamon Active Member

I have been wondering the same thing too...what happened to this? I guess a "silence" to an answer could be that it was scratched? I would like know why though other than some tax reason for there was nothing could of stop it from happening here in US
  18. Deveryn Well-Known Member

They want to release the feature and have it be perfect the first time, so it was pulled for further internal discussion. From my experience in testing it, the feature left a lot to be desired.

For starters, there was no way to sell a particular house design over and over, like your average player studio item. You put a house up for sale and once it sold, you would have to get another house and make / buy all the items over again. On a market that's accessible to all servers, it wouldn't allow much time for any kind of touring. If I remember correctly, someone could buy a house and end up booting that happened to be looking at it. If someone was about to enter a house as it was sold, it would get the person stuck in zoning.

You didn't even have to be the least bit creative in your endeavors. If you picked up a coin-rent house and dropped 100 tiles in it, it would probably sell because any house purchased that way has no rent on it.Those 100 tiles could then be hidden by the new owner and (iirc) they wouldn't affect the item count.

Lots of issues like this led to the project being pulled. It wasn't really as simple as we had all imagined.

I think doing this feature properly would require some oversight on their part to make sure people aren't taking other people's ideas or trying to cheat the system with no-effort designs.
  19. Aislynn Member

It's really sad this idea was scrapped. I have seen some amazing breakout house "shells" (where it can be decorated inside, and it's just the building itself that's been created), but getting in contact with designers can be a real pain. Some of them just don't seem to bother checking in-game mail.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.