Player Strikethrough can now go over 50%?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Silzin, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Silzin Active Member

So i have been playing a monk with my myth buff for several years know. Strikethrough is itemized all a lot of tank gear, and i was under the understanding in the past that the cap for Strikethrough was 100%. Well i am guessing i was wrong. Can a dev or some one else better at this game enlighten me and let me know what the "New" Strikethrough Cap is at?
  2. Wanyen Active Member

Perhaps the cap was much lower for everyone but brawlers, but no longer quite so far away from each other.
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

The new cap is 100% and the change could be read 2 ways.

1: PvP Strikethrough was 40-50% and is now 100% (kinda breaking for balance in PvP imo)
    2: PvE Strikethrough was capped at 50% (which I found was pretty much true) and is now 100%.

Percentages can also be read as 100% means a total of one half reduction, thus 100% ST rate means 1/2 of the time you will hit through a block/parry. That or it reads as written, 100% = 1/1 hit through a block/parry.
  4. Ebofu Active Member

100% is not 100%
  5. Silzin Active Member

I think they need to combine accuracy and Strikethrough so it is more ... user friendly and can be made to work right. just an idea
    Boli likes this.
  6. Boli Active Member

^^ This

Tanks already have a multitude of extra stats scouts do not need (mitigation, hate, block) its stupid we also need to max out strikethrough and accuracy and *still* not reach the hit rate of scouts.
    Silzin likes this.
  7. Davngr Well-Known Member

it's class based.

you get "hit" less THUS you in return "hit" less as well. it's part of the hit/miss formula, your class is a big factor in said formula.
  8. Le Clown Active Member

absolutely love how this thread is flooded with dev responses and explanations.
  9. Davngr Well-Known Member

from a pm

10. Atan Well-Known Member

Why were warriors given a 75% strikechance buff if the cap was 50%?

I'm wagering the answer was no one on the team actually knew about the cap.
    Silzin likes this.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Probably true. Given they replace Dev's like every expansion it probably makes sense that a lot of data/plans fall through cracks.
  12. Boli Active Member

having a hit rate is nothing do to with damage.. it about balancing the proc rate and actually enjoying the class. the dps disparity should be resolved somewhere other than the hit rate!
  13. Davngr Well-Known Member

it's not my formula it is how the game works man.
  14. Boli Active Member

I never said tanks should have the same DPS as scout.. just we should have equal hit rates

simplez!
  15. Davngr Well-Known Member

i never said they should not have good hit rates.
    i just posted how the hit/miss formula works. it takes into account the attackers/targets class and clearly by the current hit rates being a tank class adds a modifier that allows you to get hit less and in turn lowers your hit rates.
  16. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure nearly everything Davngr just said is 100% inaccurate. But I, too, could be wrong.

Post proof?
  17. Atan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure its wrong as well, but it would take some time to document proof.
  18. Davngr Well-Known Member

here's your pudding:

[IMG] Originally Posted by Rothgar

Not sure if I completely understand your question. A miss is just when your "roll" to hit the mob fails. If your roll to hit passes, the mob is still given a chance to dodge or block, but that is done after the swing was determined to be a hit. If the die roll failed and was a miss, its just a miss.

Yes, there are lots of factors that determine what it takes to hit and it depends on if you're hitting a PC or NPC.

There's armor-based avoidance, then class-based avoidance. Then there's a modifier for agility. Then its based on your offensive skill against their defensive skill. Then there's a modifier based on con-level (white, blue, green, etc). And then if the defender is a brawler its modified yet again. Then after that its modified by weapon accuracy modifiers.

So in the case where a mob would have successfully dodged but you would have missed anyway, we prefer to show the dodge message because its more interesting than having lots of misses.

granted he does not say specifically that being a certain class modifies the attacker it can be assumed that the hit formula goes both ways. also the agi is no longer part of the hit/miss formula.
  19. Atan Well-Known Member

I remember this thread, but they have since come back and said there is no longer a modifier on brawler hit rates....

They have directly contradicted themselves on this very subject several times. I believe Rothgar that at one time it worked that way, but I by no means have faith that it still works that way.

He was also very unclear when he spoke and you were never really certain if he was talking about pvp or pve, likely cause off the cuff he may not have remembered which got which modifiers.

Ultimately, like the ST cap, I suspect no one really fully understands it, including the remaining developers.
  20. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I would assume most of that is out of date. Last post I saw on combat mechanics by a red name was this:
    [IMG]

Apparently a lot of the devs never heard the rule of 'Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath who knows where you live.'