PLAYER PANELS AT SOE LIVE – FIRST TIME EVAH!

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Dexella, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Dexella Guest

[IMG]
    PLAYER PANELS AT SOE LIVE – FIRST TIME EVAH!

By Linda “Brasse” Carlson
    We know you come to SOE Live to hear us rabbit on about our various areas of expertise, but I bet you’d just love a chance to get up behind a microphone yourself, to offer advice, information, share your opinions and help out your fellow players. This year, we’ve set aside a room that holds up to 76 people and blocked out several spots on the schedule for both Friday and Saturday, ready and waiting for YOU! That’s right. We’re inviting you to create and host your own Player Panels.

[IMG]
    Sessions can be presented by an individual or a panel of up to four people. We’ll do our best to accommodate as many submissions as we can, but we do anticipate a lot of interest, so please don’t be crushed if yours is not selected this year!
    Here are a few general guidelines to keep in mind while you put your thinking caps on. All sessions must be open to all SOE Live attendees (no private events), and must be rated “T for Teen,” unless you are addressing Free Realms or Clone Wars Adventures, which need to be “E for Everyone.” We encourage open and constructive talks, but please… no dev bashing. It is Vegas. They might bash back.
    Presenters and panelists will gain a free all-access pass to SOE Live (does not include add-ons such as laser tag or Dev Brunch). If you’ve already paid for your pass this year, we’ll refund your fee!
    IMPORTANT NOTES:
    • We will have microphones for speakers and panelists
    • A large TV monitor will be provided for display.
    • The room will be laid out in lecture style, with a table at the front for speakers and chairs arranged in rows for the audience. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to accommodate other layouts this year.
    • If you are using a PowerPoint presentation or other media, please bring your own laptop. We may not have internet connectivity in the room, so kindly have everything pre-loaded on your laptop and (this is muy importante) a backup on a USB stick. Trust me. Been there, failed that before.
    • We will assign a Community Manager Volunteer Guide to assist and to serve as your “go to dude” for your session.
    [IMG]
    HMMM, WHATEVER SHALL WE TALK ABOUT?
    To get you thinking, we’d like to suggest a few ideas that WE’D love to see:
    • Guild Management – Best Practices and Pitfalls
    • Costume Design and Creation
    • Creating Successful Player Run Events
    • Running Raids Right, Not Rong
    • Roleplay – Dead or Alive?
    • Class Throwdown Debate – Who’s OP Now? (Devs will love this one!)
    • Trivia Contest for Fun and Profit
    • How to Run a Fab Fansite
    • Why Dwarves Should Rule the World (ok, ok, so I added that one myself)
    • The Vanu Sovereignty: A Pre-History of Domination in PlanetSide and PlanetSide 2
    HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR MOST AWESOME SOE LIVE SESSION:
    Deadline: 11:59pm PDT on Friday, September 14, 2012.
    Please email us at communityevents@soe.sony.com with the following information:
    1. TITLE of SESSION:
    2. Is this a lecture or panel?
    3. Is this session specific to a single SOE game? If so, please specify!
    4. Session Description (30-100 words):
    5. Will you have a PowerPoint presentation or other media?
    6. Speaker information
      1. Name:
      2. Station Name:
      3. Tell us a little about yourself:
    7. For each Panelist (up to three in addition to the main speaker):
      1. Name:
      2. Station Name:
      3. Bit of info:
    Yes, you may submit more than one idea! We’ll respond to your email during the following week after we review all submissions, whether or not yours is selected.
    I cannot tell you how excited I am to welcome you all as guest speakers at SOE Live this year!
  2. ARCHIVED-Loladen Guest

I really hope someone puts together their own version of a class manifesto
  3. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

There have been player pannels before. The Podcast Panels, for example.
  4. ARCHIVED-Dexella Guest

Calthine wrote:
    We have had panels that featured players, yes. But the general call/open submission process is new.
    Besides, since those panels were at Fan Faire, technically it's the first time at SOE Live.
    ~Dexella
  5. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Dexella wrote:
    Some of us refuse to call it anything other than Fan Faire.* Not to mention since the event was "renamed" and it's not a completely new event, the timeline doesn't start back over or anything for event history.
    *Okay, at least I refuse.
  6. ARCHIVED-foodcity Guest

Dont forget to send Denmum an invitation I imagine that would be a good panel, the Denmum panel :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Cyliena wrote:
    ^^^
    Being on a panel can be nerve-wracking and fun :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Resstful Guest

foodcity wrote:
    A Denmum panel would be AWESOME!!!!
  9. ARCHIVED-General_Info Guest

Calthine wrote:
    I dare ether of you to apply for player panels and if you get a spot to conduct yourself at fan faire like norrath is the real world and earth is the fantasy game.
  10. ARCHIVED-Raienya Guest

I think perhaps a more useful panel would be:
    State of the Game: How do you think EQ2 could be better, and what would you do to make it so?
  11. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Raienya wrote:
    That sounds like an invitation to a shouting match.
  12. ARCHIVED-Juggercap Guest

I'm hoping to control my anger long enough to create a panel that isn't blatantly offensive, but in any case, I'm guessing the overall negative tone would prevent anything I attempted from being considered for the 'fan' fest.
  13. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

General_Info wrote:
    Sorry, I won't have time. My kids leveled up.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Calthine wrote:
    I would have a panic attack at the prospect of speaking in front of so many people and pass out. On the plus side, a panel I'd run would only last about the 15 seconds it'd take for that to happen. ;)
  15. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

I think its amazing what eq2 is doing to build community. The facebook social aspect does not do it for me. But letting players contribute content (paintings, dungeon maker, player studio) and be part of panel is awesome. facebook is a gimmick, but these other things actually matter. maybe if enough of these things flourish facebook would become used from necessity. independent agents running(or just being on) panels is fantastic, just got to make sure its in good faith. for me, when i see another player involved, it makes it infinitely more immersive and tangible. its not some distant corporate employee with a tight lip, its someone like me: a player, a player i might actually encounter in game. someone who i could even chat up with reasonable chance they will take the time to talk. and if not thats cool too, i already know some players in game could be considered 'jerks'. that would be true to life authentic, which is also more immersive. not a canned response from an employee. it makes me feel like there is 1 less layer of separation between me and soe.
  16. ARCHIVED-Coilean Guest

Well community is not existing outside US. No attempt over the years to launch an event like this for european playerbase. I would love the chance to meet some people of the eq2 team and discuss the game. This will never happen. Such Faires are a chance to show soe that not every european or forum member is a troll. Have fun there girls & guys :) .
  17. ARCHIVED-Dexella Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    I don't think it sounds like a shouting match. I think it sounds like a really interesting opportunity for discussion.
    Raienya, are you coming to SOE Live? You should submit you idea!
    We're open to all sorts of suggestions. We want an opportunity for players to take the stage and give us feedback -- how do you play, what do you enjoy, what do you want to see, etc. Panels could be on raiding, decorating, grouping, soloing, "the old days," the future...really, the sky is the limit. We just want to see you all involved!
    ~Dexella
  18. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

Any idea yet on how the scheduling is going to work? What I mean is, will doing a player panel potentially make me miss an SOE panel for the same primary game? Or does anyone know yet?
  19. ARCHIVED-Raienya Guest

Dexella wrote:
    Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the country and attending your event would be too expensive
    None of my ideas would be welcome, as they have been voiced repeatedly on the forums and ignored, like the rest of the player community. Since the first thing I would likely do is kick Smokejumper in his no-no spot for ruining what was once a great game, I'd get arrested and banned from future events, and that wouldn't be a very productive way to spend my time.
  20. ARCHIVED-CrypticEnigma Guest

Raienya wrote:
    Spot on...the reality is the player forum seems like nothing more than smoke and mirrors..nothing of any meaning will result from it and as you said just about every idea and problem currently in game has been voiced by the community till we are blue in the face and depending on how hard we try and push and bring the specific subjects up we are either ignored or banned.