Plane of Innovation: Masks of the Marvelous (Heroic)

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Tupperbeast, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Tupperbeast Active Member

is there any trick in the zone Plane of Innovation: Masks of the Marvelous (heroic) Gearclaw the Collector name except the Tun Key.

The group set up is normal enough for T1. Tank has 40 million + Hp the rest of the group 25million + pot is between 35,000 and 55,000 depending on the player

would be very grateful for a few tips
    Kittybock and Semperfifofum like this.
  2. Oaba New Member

Aftyer turning the key, dispell it.
    OTOH the mob is bugged, the encounter dot is growing a lot on damage. 2 helers or a bard in healer spect.
  3. semisus Does not play this game

Thats wrong , if u dispell it it starts doing high pulse dmg.
    If you leave it be it doesnt.
  4. Tupperbeast Active Member

thx for Answer)))
  5. Jhen Ro Active Member

We got stuck last night on 3rd named.

Second time ran the zone. First with a defiler, second with templar. All other classes the same (and almost all people the same as well, and better geared second go).

After breaking to 0 several times, taking a break, switching out a dirge for a warden for two (both awesome) healers, still no dice.

First time through zone, killed all nameds first pull, as context, too. After several hours, had to give up on this one fight.
  6. Noizette Active Member

Something definitely seems up with this named (Glitched Guardian 10101).

Last week we could kill him without any deaths, focusing on the named and AEing the adds. Today Strange Ticking is hitting over and over for in excess of 500,000,000 up to a billion magic damage. We tried a few pulls targeting the adds, but there isn't nearly enough time to kill them all in the time allowed before he 'puts us at a disadvantage'

4th Dec:
    [IMG]

12th Dec:
    [IMG]

One of numerous parses today:
    [IMG]
  7. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

That fight is another one suffering from the "Not on a fighter, I'm gonna buff myself" script the mobs have. The script is intended to drop off again after being back on a fighter, but currently bugs and increments repeatedly.

To make the fight as easy as possible, try have a fighter joust as late as humanly possible, and run to mob ASAP when it unroots. It's the best you can do at the moment. Ignore the adds.
    Noizette likes this.
  8. Noizette Active Member

Thank you Errrorr, might give it a try with the strategy you suggested. Hopefully this will be fixed in tomorrow's patch.
  9. Darkarrow New Member

We got that bug on a lot of mobs. The area AE ticking is just insane. At some point the AE was ticking for 150 million every 3 seconds continously. It's so annoying that you don't even have time to do the script itself. 99% of the damage on all members of the group comes from the ticking AE. It makes most zones unfinishable . For a mob to hit for that amount of damage in a T1 zone with a group thats over 520 res / 53k pot is just wrong
    Kittybock and Semperfifofum like this.
  10. Ugam New Member

This is just ignorant. Gninja or whoever implemented this stupidity needs to be written up and for his craptastic scripts to be disabled until you can actually do it correctly. Forcing groups into requiring a fighter is poor game design. But implementing a completely busted broke script behind the scenes because of this such that when you DO bring a fighter it's a DPS race against the script is almost worse.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

The bug was fixed within a week and it's fine now, chill.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  12. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Are you sure? Because just last week I was tanking this, losing aggro (was even worse geared than right now, but still making the Resolve cut)... I didn't realize Strange ticking is a "punishment" script that is meant to punish the party for making the tank lose aggro. Funny thing is, I was with a dirge, but it still didn't help aggro. Our healer was getting killed with 48 million hits from strange ticking. I think going from "nearly anyone can tank" to punishment script is just too much. I'm still learning the tanking role and it's discouraging.
  13. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I just wanted to point out that EQ2 Library has come through with walkthroughs. (Thanks so much!)
    http://eq2library.com/2018/01/01/zone-strats-for-pop-are-up/

But the strange ticking script is still hitting for way too much on the Collector. And the reason for that detriment is not explained even on that excellent website. Or we need some explanation when it happens.

I was in the group I mentioned above and we didn't understand how imperative it was for the tank to keep aggro. And my husband was solo healing something he'd solo healed successfully before, but couldn't heal through it (which is the point I guess). His Resolve is closing on 600, he does much more heroics than I do.Anyway the point is NOT ONE person in either group understood the importance of aggro in these scripts. We kept combing the chat box for clues, reading his beneficial/detrimentals, etc and continued confused for a long time before giving up.

So Resolve or not, this mechanic will wipe you. Death touch or not, this mechanic will still wipe you. Considering we're coming from KA where tanking with a conji pet was commonplace, a little warning might be in order, a narrative callout or something.

Later we went back (with a tank I know to be good) and the only thing that helps is having people far away from the Collector when it happens. But it doesn't help much because people don't listen and I'm left the only Warlock standing until he's out of targets except me.

And when I was tanking, he was hitting me with it too, even when I was his target. He ran right at me several times and one shotted me, while playing zerker. So something is still not right. If it was working right, then he'd kill them off and then I'd get aggro and hold him (that's what battle frenzy is for after all) while the priest rezed them all and we'd start fresh until some yahoo pulls him off me again.

See if it happened like that, eventually everyone would get the message.

What if it didn't activate for 5 seconds after we turn the key?

This discussion has helped me realize that ACT triggers are designed for dps, not the tank. I should not have been "stop attack"-ing when it told me to. The purpose of that trigger seems to be to keep him from aggroing someone else. When he stops and needs his key turned, he must also memwipe.
  14. maxximum Active Member

Your zerker is woefully under-geared for the new zones. If people are running the new stuff without epic, tome, PG adorns, etc, they will get facepunched by bosses from the lack of HP alone. There is a common misconception that passing the resolve check is enough to do a zone, but it's not. My **** wizzy alt has 570 resolve but I wouldn't let her near a zone because she doesn't have her epic, PG adorns or any of the new orange adorns, so her ability mod, fervor, potency and hp (amongst other things) all suck and it would be a waste of a spot in group. Even with tome and a few PG adorns she still sucks way too much to think about grouping with her.
  15. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Um, they were very clear at the beginning of this expac that Epic 2 was not a requirement. Everyone in that zone with me, was about equally geared except for one mage and the healer who were both uber. Telling people to stop playing is not the right attitude anyway. Because tomorrow you'll be complaining there aren't enough tanks. I was clear as crystal that I am learning the role, so abusing me will not get you any applause.

The solution here is to let people know that there is this mechanic which is a vestige of the deathtouch mechanic. The community as a whole does not yet grasp that.

And your wizzy would be fine. I have been with my warlock in several zones and each time we did something technical, they specifically asked for controlled dps. This is a false limitation that people have been repeating like a mantra, but it has no basis in fact. A good group is a good group.
  16. maxximum Active Member

Eh? I'm not abusing you, I'm abusing my own wizzy if anything and was trying to make the point that if my 570r wizzy with 20m hp isn't ready for zones, then your zerker certainly isn't, regardless of fight mechanics. The epic weapon may not be 'required' but it's a 25 fervor upgrade, which is basically a 25-50% increase in dps depending on your current fervor. Then there's the 10 fervor from Tome of the Ascended, 10 fervor from PG adorns, the fervor proc from the new signature off-hand and there's nothing you can do about it now, but the ethereal orange adorns from the summer event. Missing any single one of those items isn't going to hurt too much, but if you're missing most or all of them, you are horribly undergeared, just as my wizzy is.

Also, in your previous post, you mentioned that 'Funny thing is, I was with a dirge, but it still didn't help aggro.'. The best a dirge can do for a tank is give you 37 hate mod, but you should be capped at 100 hate mod anyway so having a dirge will make no difference. Your gear is the problem.

And no, my wizzy would not be fine with 10 fervor, 400k ability mod and a huge deficiency in just about every stat, regardless of resolve.
  17. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Well I agree with that I need better gear, and to do some more quests/prereqs so that I get better stuff. But you assumed I did not know that, even after I'd admitted I was poorly geared. It came off as aggressive, although, I know that typed text doesn't convey tone of voice. If you weren't rolling your eyes at me in derision, then I guess I should say sorry I misunderstood what you said.

I've seen a lot of people lately gearing up their tank alts who, like me, haven't played them in years, and haven't seriously grouped with them in years either. The undergeared tank is probably going to be a theme of this expansion for a while until those of us who are willing to tank... brush the dust off our alts. Have patience, we'll get there.

I think the more important thing to discuss in this thread is whether this mechanic is still buggy or not. And how well it has been communicated to the players.

I'm confident tanking every boss in there, except the last one. I wonder if maybe his script was left alone, or a new bug was introduced when the deathtouch mechanic was nerfed down a bit.
  18. maxximum Active Member

Well I used the word 'woefully' undergeared to try to emphasise the point. Take the original post in this thread, for example, the poster points out that they have 40m hp. My monk has 53m hp. From your sig, it would appear that your tank has 14m hp, and just to provide a comparison, my merc has 12m hp. It's not simply a case of getting a few upgrades and you'll be able to tank, you will need your tome, epic, some PG oranges, and some of the new orange adorns at the very least to even think about tanking or it will be unpleasant for your group, and you will never be able to tank t2 zones. My monk, which was a bruiser, came into this expac with 20m+ hp, tome, epic weapon, ethereal cloak and belt, and a bunch of raid gear and he still wasn't ready for tanking new zones until I'd done a lot of the new solo stuff. I was getting one shotted by the last boss in this zone until I got some of the new gear in addition to the decent old gear I had, as was most of my group at the time.

There's no such thing as a good alt tank any more, you need to give it almost as much time and love as your main or your groups will not go well. Handing down gear you loot on your main, or buying mastercrafted, simply isn't enough.
  19. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

Yes we learned all that last expac also. I was here, I'm not a returning player. Not this expac anyway. Take a look at my main. I admit I'm not fond enough of the PGs to upgrade the orange adorns, but I do have them because they're essential. The same will apply to my tank - given time.

So, what do you think about the strat/script? Is it broken if the Collector is hitting a zerker, any zerker, or even a monk, with it? If not, why not?

Because you see, if your uber monk can survive it, then the assumption that this is tier 1 and the assumption that the "strange ticking" attack should only happen to non tanks is not testable with your monk. It's supposed to be a fail condition, but if you can heal through it, and you can survive it long enough for your uber healer to heal you up to 100%, then the mechanic is moot for people already geared.

And therefore, it is a barrier to entry for people like me, who at this point only expect to be able to do tier 1.

And I doubt if that's what it was designed to do.
  20. maxximum Active Member

I've just had a look at my ACT from the last time I was in there:

[IMG]

As with most bosses in this expac, there's not only what the mob does to consider, many of them have a permament detrimental which increases damages over time, so the longer the fight goes on, the harder you get hit by it (nb it is separate from the fight itself). Judging from my ACT, Strange Ticking is that same detrimental and it also occurs on the Glitched Guardian, one of the previous mobs in the same zone but that mob usually dies quickly so the Strange Ticking isn't a factor.

Note that I pulled the mob at 00.42.04. Four seconds later, the tick starts and hits every 4 seconds, *in addition to what the mob is hitting you for*, and increases with every hit, every 4 seconds for the duration of the fight. With 14m hp you can only survive that particular fight, subject to whatever voodoo your healer is handing out, for just over 20 seconds, and that's without considering what the mob itself is hitting you for.

I can guarantee this is working as intended. As you can see my my ACT, by the time the fight is 45 seconds in, it's hitting for 20m hp and would keep increasing if the fight went on.

Edit: I thought I'd look back at the first time I tanked the zone on 2nd December:

[IMG]

As you can see, the same tick was hitting much harder, and I think my tank had 30-35m hp at that point, but a lot of it was being warded by my healer if I'm interpreting that parse correctly. The fight was longer because the whole group was still wearing old gear, but as you can see, the tick starts at 14m hp and goes right up to 44m hp. This is where your gear, resists, hp, etc, come in, as with the rest of your group.

Edit again: Sorry, just realised you are aware what the tick is, I was getting it confused with someone talking about dispelling the mob earlier in the thread. Anyway, now you can see what the problem is. The tick is working as intended, you just need better gear to mitigate it. The t1 zones are no more a barrier than the t1 zones from the last expac were tbh. I remember my fully raid geared troub getting face punched by the goblins in *solo* Baron's Workshop, and having to blow all my temps on the tank just to survive them. There's an expectation that you will have grinded out all sorts of solo stuff before you can take on the heroics.