Pets Gone Wild

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Laiina, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Laiina Well-Known Member

For the past few days I have been seeing some very odd pet behavior - random attacks on mobs, often clear across the zone. This has been only in Obol, but 95% of my mob smooshing is there, so may or may not be related to the zone.

This is the setup for how it happens, and seem to be "somewhat" repeatable:
    1. Low fly over an area with mobs in it, get aggro while flying.
    2. Eventually you will get the message that Big Rat is no longer worth etc etc.
    3. land at a safe spot and kill any mob.
    4. anywhere from instantly to several seconds after, the mage pet takes off across the zone, sometimes clear to the opposite zone line and attacks some mob (too far a way to see which mob).,
    5. using Call Servant will bring it back, but it instantly takes off again, often on a suicide mission.
    6. Merc is up at the same time, but exhibits none of this wild behavior.
  2. Controlor Member

If you have your pet set to defend you (which really no pet should) it will do this. Because it counts the escaped battle as if it was a battle it previously engaged in. If you want your pet to actually come back you have to use the pet back off button. Call Servant will always only bring your pet to your side but if it is attacking something it will always take off after it. Set your pet to not defend you or itself an this should not happen again. If it does then there is a problem.
  3. Laiina Well-Known Member

The parts I find odd is that I have already gotten the messages about "XX is no longer worth any xp." etc., which would indicate to me that as far as the mob is concerned, the battle is over. Also it does not seem to time out - I have had this happen as much as 10 minutes after the flyover. It appears that the "leash" range on pets is much higher than on the mobs themselves.

I pretty much understand what you are saying and why it happens now. In solo I nearly always have the pet set to defend me, though in groups and raids I make it passive.
  4. Ottesi New Member

ya solo have pet defend raid/group otherwise but and this has saved me numerous times when the tank targeted something and the pets goes off is tie /pet backoff (or what ever it is not sure unless im lookin at it) in a macro with the summon servant spell $$ pet comes back and stays just make sure you put it back on guard me if your soloin
  5. Laiina Well-Known Member

The macro is a good idea, going to add that in after servers back up. That way you don't forget when re-summoning in the middle of a raid fight.