Permafrost book quests

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Evguenil62, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Which monsters drop following books?
    - Bronsin
    - Watcher of the Mauls Theriig
    - Age of Destiny

Any idea?
  2. Gaealiege Active Member

Only giants, Evguenil.
  3. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I've got 5 books quite fast, but then I stopped getting any more books. I've killed a lot of giants (more than thousand I guess), with no luck.
    Well, I guess I need to kill another couple of thousand I guess :) Thanks Gaealiege.
  4. VeilShard Active Member

Yep you will have to kill many thousands of giants to get those books unfortunately. I managed to get them all a few months ago from Perma, but between different characters I probably killed more then 10 thousand. I also made sure they were grey so the small chests only had books and not a bunch of junk loot. Once you get a book once it won't drop again so I usually switched characters and got doubles since I got tired of seeing nothing drop for ages. They are completely random and drop only about 1/1000 giants (Age of monuments was the last one for me) The same goes for the books in Cazic, Obelisk, ruins of varsoon, I still don't have 2 books from Runnyeye and am not even convinced they still exist. Horguz and the Pawn I believe.
    It really does take a lot of time but if you're determined to get them I know the ones you mentioned still exist in the game. Many of the books are tradeable so you could also check the broker if you just want a book, or ask around. But I've never seen any on the broker though since they are so difficult to get.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again they need to increase the drop rate. I would like to even know if the books in Runnyeye are still around.
  5. Gaealiege Active Member

I went from 800 giant kills to 4,743 before I gained all of the books, Evguenil. It takes awhile and you're welcome! Hope you get them soon!
  6. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

My slayer counter is on 5275 giants. I'm still missing one book.
    If quest info in ZAM is still valid, the chance to get a book in Permafrost on certain giants is 0.222% while the chance to get a book on certain monsters in Cazic is 0.555%.

Gaealiege, I've changed the way my script collects quest data. I hope that I'll soon get a more accurate non-obsolete quest database. It's a matter of time to collect the data. I believe that within two-three weeks it'll be interesting enough.
  7. Gaealiege Active Member

Excellent! I'll be excited to see the new data!
  8. VeilShard Active Member

The ones in cazic that drop at that rate are the thulians, which are kinda uncommon, so they normally drop at the same rate as the giants but since there are more mobs over all it was faster for me to get personally. It took longer for me to get the giants since there are less then them overall. Also the 0.2 is the redshirt giants. The brown and green shirt giants are 0.1% approx. I don';t remember what they are actually called but I got excited when the red shirts were spawning anyway since they had a slightly higher chance.. and I don't remember ever getting a drop off the brown shirt giants grr I hate commander keg (both of them)
  9. Gaealiege Active Member

The "red shirts" as you call them only spawn in the upper areas of the zone. It's not random. They're the only giants with a 0.2% chance to drop the books, as you stated.
  10. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I've got my last quest book in Permafrost. Thousands of giants tried to hide it from me, but they failed to do it :)
    On to the next zone!
    Gaealiege likes this.
  11. Tumma New Member

I am necro-ing this old thread to ask of you; has anyone recently seen the starter for the Age of Monuments drop? I have been hunting it for quite some time now with no luck, got the other books though.
  12. Dellmon Active Member

Tumma asked
    has anyone recently seen the starter for the Age of Monuments drop?

I haven't hunted quest starters in Permafrost for some time but even back then book quest starters in zones like Permafrost were quite uncommon drops .

But looking at this URL for the "Age of Monuments" starter from EQ2U
    http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1935918021/

It would appear that the starter was disco'ed on IoR as recently as a year ago (and adding other recent servers also have discovery dates since their launches). While that is not 100% guaranteed to be accurate today as you never know what might have happened since then behind the scenes and not documented in any patch notes - - I think it is might be safe to go out on a limb and say that yes, it probably is dropping still - - just very rarely.
    Finora likes this.
  13. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I have checked my journal. I have completed "The Age of Monuments" quest about 2 year ago. I do remember that it took thousands of giants to collect all books that are still available from Permafrost.
  14. Tumma New Member

Ok, thanks a lot for looking it up. Ik shall be even more patient then. Apart from the one in Unrest its the last starter drop I still "need". :)
  15. Tumma New Member

Yes! Finally dropped. From the first mob after zoning in, one of those curn giants. (in case anyone else is still looking).