Percussion of Stone - worth a conc. slot?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-EQ_Irving, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-EQ_Irving Guest

My dirge is level 50, and just the other day I learned about the Maj'Dul spell, "Percussion of Stone". Is this buff worth a concentration slot, in your opinion? It seems to be that it might be worth it while solo'ing, but to use it I would have to give up one of my current buffs, and that's a conundrum all by itself (which to choose).
  2. ARCHIVED-Giland Guest

I use it all the time when grouped.
  3. ARCHIVED-TripleJ7007 Guest

I use it all the time, Soloing, raiding ,grping it doesnt matter
    Solo Buffs - Percussion of Stone, Screeching Elusion (Parry Song) , Brias (mana song), Death Bearer, Harl's Awakening Strain. Selos, DKtM, Luck of the Dirge and diety pet (Bristlebane ftw!)
    Only thing different for raids is I drop the self buff for hate song if Im in MT grp
    DPS grp gets Rianas , Tombs calm, Brias, Harl's, and Dissonant Boon. They dont get Percussion cause thier not supposed to be getting hit. If Percussion saves them how they gonna learn
    Percussion of stone really shines when you upgrade it to Adept 3 and get the end ability for the luck line which then improves the chance of it proccing. 13% doesnt sound like alot, but Tanks swear by it. Always nice to block a 2k hit, Thats 2k a healer doesnt have to heal
  4. ARCHIVED-Wurz Guest

almost always on when in tank grp during raid, and sometimes when got a non plate tank... other classes in grp makes you choose what to drop then

for example, last night i was in tank grp with a coercer so he was going on mana regen, droped bria and melee skill to cast Hyran, percu and parry, then riana and str/agi,

so it depends on place / grp / raid / classes, but yeah imo it s worth a con slot.
  5. ARCHIVED-ReturnOfMadness Guest

PoS is definatly worth a conc slot if the following is true

- Your soloing and cant take the mobs down with full dps buffs
    - Your grouping and the tank cant take the hits (and quite honestly if this is true, time to move to easier content)
    - In raiding if your learning a raidzone (priceless than) or at a (really) tough named, usually ya can drop it in favor of more dps

however to know when/where ya can drop it i suggest ya experiment a little bit (when ya get into riading if ya after that) but outside of raiding i would say it hardly got any place
  6. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

One of the things I love most about playing a Dirge is that there is not a single tried and true formula. You have a toolbox and you have to figure out how best to use the tools in it. POS is just another tool in your toolbox.
  7. ARCHIVED-aloevita Guest

I'm fishing for some opinions...
    I have the Percussion of Stone M1 in my inventory, not scribed.
    Is it more worthwhile to sell it so that I can buy more masters (like reproaching discante or boons)?
    or
    Is it more worthwhile to use it (I raid weekly)?
    Thanks,
  8. ARCHIVED-Shadowinajar Guest

Sell it and buy tier 8 M! for it, should be worth lots a money...

hmm,,though a stones is realy rare and if it wont update with the new expension
    ,what may be as they changing skill around

hmhmhm..can you see how much it improves?
  9. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

If it were me I'd sell it ASAP and hold the money for T8 stuff. The value of T7 M1s is due to drop soon, especially if that spell's due to be upgraded or superceded in T8; and they're saying the 14-level thing is history (not that it ever was applied ot the Ancient Teachings spells), but I think it likely that all those T6 things will be somehow replaced.
    If you wait to be sure, though, the value of that Master may drop badly.
    Whysp
  10. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

If you're only casually raiding I would definitely sell it, for ALOT, its a hard master to get and people will definitely shell out an enormous amount of cash for it. In your position I would post it on the broker for a ton see what kind of offers you get by mail/tell about it and rake in the plats tbh. If you were raiding everyday and/or really looking to maximize your character to the fullest I would probably take the loss of potential plat and scribe it as there is a good chance with it being a % skill that it may not be replaced in T8.
  11. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

You should give it to a young upcoming dirge :D I GOT DIBS!!!
  12. ARCHIVED-marik32 Guest

[edited to prevent breaking EULA]
    And as far as the sell or scribe dilemma. . .well, not sure about other servers, but already on Everfrost I've noticed a severe decline in the prices people are willing to pay, for just about anything. Being only 4 weeks away from ROK, most people have settled for the idealogy that nothing is worth much since it's all getting replaced in a few weeks.
    But hey, if I had PoS M1, and some other dirge was willing to pay well for it. . .I'd sell it =)
    I'm greedy though, and imo, M1 over Ad3 isn't really that amazing, not this far into progression. But Topanga is right to be sure, PoS is super super rare in M1 form. .
  13. ARCHIVED-marik32 Guest

de-railing the topic for one sec, can reply to this in PM if it's better
    but i just noticed my sig is chopped, is there a size limit on the official eq2 forums?
  14. ARCHIVED-TheSummoned Guest

FYI, no percent based ancient teaching will be upgraded according to the devs and then some, that means skills like Sanctuary, Close Mind, Hurricane, Stone Deaf, Tower of Stone, Fall of the Phoenix, etc.

And yes, Percussion of Stone does indeed fall into that category, so it'll be worth a TON of money (emphasys on TON) in T8. Stoneskin is just a buff that's worth as much as a decent tower shield.
  15. ARCHIVED-SugarGirl Guest

The big question is.. how much is 1% proc worth? The difference between Ad3 and M1 is 1% on POS. I can see where it might be worth it for a raiding dirge... ut not so much maybe for a soloer.
  16. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

If it's definitely not going to be replaced, scribe that puppy, my dear. It's only 1%, you say -- but that's an 8% improvement to arguably our best defensive buff.
    Scribe that puppy -- and never look back.
    Whysp
  17. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

Oh yes. Definitely scribe it. It has no upgrade (it's a precentage to block ALL damage from an attack), and if you only run ONE of your defensive buffs, this one should be it. The master I of PoS should last you *at least* a year from now, and possibly more.

As for the derail question above, yes, there is a size limit on your sig.
  18. ARCHIVED-Hugsnkissums Guest

I've got a Dirge up and comming and lemme tell you what, I don't think I'll ever remove PoS from my bar. It's an awsome sight to see "your stone skin has absorbed 1,799 points of damage". That's a ton of healing that didn't need to be done because of that spell. Granted I still died to the encounter, but wow imagine how good that is from a defensive standpoint. I'd scribe it since it's not everyday you get a spell like that in your hands, but how often do you make plat? IMO, Plat isn't worth it.
  19. ARCHIVED-Shadowinajar Guest

The damage prevented given is calculated before mitigation/resist

so its more like maybe 500 points..

;)
  20. ARCHIVED-Topa Guest

There's no arguably to it, its just our best defensive buff, one of the best ones in the game. It will continue to be incredibly powerful cause there is no cap on the damage prevented so if in T6 something was hitting for 4k it blocked that, if a mob swung for 7k in T7 it absorbed that, as we grow in levels Stoneskin abilities become more and more powerful.

But it's worth noting that I've definitely seen people offering ALOT of plat for the spell. If you really aren't going to be getting an overwhelming amount of mileage out of scribing it, than it might be worth looking into selling. If you're plan is to stick with the class and really play it alot for the next few tiers than consider yourself lucky and scribe it.