People harvesting the same node

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Celestia, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, could it be possible to implement a similar feature that ff14 has, where when you go out and gather, you and someone else can get materials from the same node, instead of having to try to out run them to one ?

I understand that this would probably be a big thing, and I would not expect it to happen right away if they did do it. But I was just curious as to if it could even work.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Actually, locking the node to the first one to hit it is better.

Some people have really slow internet, or poor graphics settings enabled, and they may not even see you when they hop a node. Then there are the rude [CENSOREDS] that deliberately "node steal". Like the monsters in the zone, nodes are contested content. Ye who get them first win, basically.

When I have a yahoo "node jumping", I just go way away from them and harvest somewhere else. Remember, there are several instances of the overland zones up right now, you can always switch instances as well as go to a different overland zone. If you are a paid member, you can use Fast Travel to quickly pop you to a different instance of the zone you're in.
    Bluhr and Breanna like this.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

True, I was just curious. I don't expect it would actually be something they would do. But it came to me one day when I was in ff14 harvesting.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It's not like the idea of locking the node hasn't been brought up in the past. I remember back when the game first started, people were asking if it was possible. I can see a reason to not impliment such a feature because players can troll others by intentionally locking the node with one hit, then wasting the other player's time by keeping it locked instead of immediately harvesting it. They could time it out after a few seconds or something like that, but still.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

I don't think the system locks the node, it never has for me in the other game anyway. Like I said, I just wondered. Besides you could technically say the same thing about EQ2, because once someone gathers even one thing, it gives the next person less to gather.

But whatever. It is what it is.
  6. Denmum Developer

If you are in the process of gathering something from the node at that very moment, anyone else trying to nom on it will get an in use message, if memory serves (aka, it is "locked"). But if they catch it in the pause before you start the next pull, then they can do so and then you are locked out while they are in-progress.
    Breanna, Finora and Twyla like this.
  7. Celestia Well-Known Member

Huh, I never realized that I guess. I know in ff, it doesn't matter, but here I had no idea - I thought if someone gathered from a node one time, it just gave the next person less if the other gave it up. My mistake.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I can't recall for certain, but I kinda think that originally two people could harvest one node and it led to griefing.
    Breanna and tasnee like this.
  9. Breanna Well-Known Member

It did lead to griefing it was horrible fighting with people. I'm like you Sig I just go someplace else and harvest. I remember one particular time out on the orc highway in Sinking sands this person would intentionally race me to the next node. I ended up moving to the croc caves.
    Dude likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yes, that jibes with my memory of the horrible gold farmers harvesting out by the Sandscrawl goblins. I had macros saying rude things in several languages (not obscene, but definitely rude) for when one of those jerks would do that.
  11. Almee Well-Known Member

I'm glad they don't lock the nodes since I play multiple characters at the same time. I'll have one character harvest a node, get what she needs, and then let another character continue harvesting that node. I have had players deliberately harvest a node I was trying to harvest but that happens so infrequently it really isn't a big deal. Like Sig, I just go somewhere else.
  12. Breanna Well-Known Member

I kept a ton of snowballs on me :) They never did damage but... It was still self gratifying.
    Yenk likes this.
  13. Celestia Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Like I said, I wondered. I figure they will never implement something like it, but I thought I would ask anyway.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

As I was harvesting today with all my harvesting gear on, watching how very fast I harvested each time, I was thinking about how frustrating it would be if you were just starting out with harvesting building skill and lacking all that gear.

Consider how that person would feel if I ran up to your node and snaffled the harvests off it before they could ever get one harvest?
    Twyla likes this.
  15. Celestia Well-Known Member

I get that, but that's literally not how FF14's system works, which is what I thought of for this post, so whatever.
  16. Miragian Well-Known Member

If you want an example of what happens when the node isn't locked while harvesting... go try out the nodes used for the VoV TS weekly. If you have low casting speed since it does not key off of harvest speed. You can regularly have someone swip the nodes out from under you. I had it happen repeatably to my lower level crafters because its next to impossible to get 100% cast/reuse speed on a say 50 level character.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Celestia Well-Known Member

Like I said, its not how the system i was thinking of works. I get it, no one wants it, fine.
  18. Heresford Active Member

Trying to glean how the.FF XIV gathering system works from a Wiki. It seems like it is very different from EQ2 Harvesting. Two players are not literally harvesting from the same node, but their own unique instances of the same node. That's an additional layer of object creation that might have a resource impact on the servers. I'm not sure if it would mean more or fewer network fetches; it depends on how the two systems are implemented.

Regardless, from a mechanics standpoint you couldn't simply make this one change. In order to keep the system balanced and not produce a shock to the in-game economy,.you would have to.make other changes as well. FF XIV has other limiting factors that don't exist.in EQ2, like gathering points. Something new would have to be introduced to.maintain balance, unless the idea would be to copy the entire system from FF XIV. I think each of these games have certain customers.that chose them for how their particular systems work.
  19. Miragian Well-Known Member

Something to be said for FF XIV system was likely baked in from the beginning or at least the groundwork for it as well. As a result trying to copy that system over in EQ2 would require a near total rewrite of whole sections of code.
  20. Celestia Well-Known Member

It was just a thought, I figured they wouldn't implement it, but I wondered why they hadn't done something like it in the beginning. Now days, it seems very funny that there would even be enough people playing this game to have to argue over nodes anyway.