pc shuts off after running the game for 15 or so mins?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Gideon, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Gideon Member

pretty sure this isn't game related but figured id start a thread here to see if anyone can lead me to the problem.
    my specs. amd phenom II x4 running at 4ghz
    12 gigs ram, 1 TB hd. i run windows 7
    so when i play the game my cpu cooler fan starts to scream, the cpu temp gets as high as 118 c then the system shuts off. when i built the pc i used the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu ,but the system is going on 5 years old.
    my question is is this a cpu overheat issue? i just put fresh paste on the cpu 8 months ago, when i did my annual cleaning. i put a different vid card in to see if it was that and it still shut off, all my case fans are working as they should.
  2. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

upgrade the cpu fan - you can pick up a decent self contained liquid cooling system for the cpu for about 50 bucks at a decent brick and mortar or mail order place.
  3. Ivory Member

This definitely sounds like an overheating issue. I have had the same problem when trying to play on an older laptop. Runs fine for an hour or so with the cooling fans running full speed but eventually overheats and shuts down. My newer laptop works with the fans running at a lower speed with no issues. Remember EQ2 is extremely reliant on the CPU. It will work it harder than most newer games.
  4. Gideon Member

a little update, i got a new cpu cooler.
    i got the cooler master 212 evo , and a tube of arctic silver 5 from new egg. total cost 34 bucks and had free shipping !!
    anyways it took my idle cpu temp from 47 c , to 31 c . under load " eq2 at max graphics" the temp holds at 49 c to 58 c .
    i think the under load temp will drop by a few degrees when the arctic silver sets properly. the biggest thing i love about it so far is the sound, the stock cpu cooler sounded like a mini jet engine, i can barely hear the fan on this one over my other case fans.

thanks a ton for the help and suggestions !