Patchcraft Achievements

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Valgraveson, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Ucala Well-Known Member

although i won't act like I know how many hours he put into it. I will say he said he did it with 2-3 other people.
    so you know, person A does it for 5 hours while the other 2 follow, and then person B takes over for 5 hours, then person C takes over for 5 hours, etc.
  2. Drak-of-many-names New Member

I tried to begin doing it, but always found the locations to be camped, unless it was really off peak hours.
    SynnikuL likes this.
  3. Daray Well-Known Member

The rate was something like 125-150 an hour.
  4. GabenBison Active Member

I've grouped with others and it didn't register me on the kill count unless I actually swung at it...

Yeah that's what I was getting and I'm only at 200+. So that's roughly 13-18 hours give or take each day. How is it splitting up for you though? I was in a group with three others and none of us got kills for each slay unless we were there killing the damn thing. You can't split up and do this apparently.
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

I've grouped with others and it did just fine getting kills without me doing anything
  6. Ynnek Well-Known Member

When I sat down and did nothing else, I could maintain a rate of 150 - 180 per hour. But I didn't have the playtime available to come close to 10K, I'll be lucky to cross 2.5K before it ends.

Group updates however do register if the other person is in the immediate area, it seems to use the regular radius for group updates in open world zones. You cannot group up and all go your separate ways and share all kills. You can either move in a pack, or you can all do your own thing and just use the fact that you're grouped to prevent accidents. All those times when two people converge on the same spawn and run over each other, if you're grouped, you both get the update. And it lets you see the the others on the mini map.

It helps, but it's not a panacea that lets a group get all the updates zonewide.

I suspect the best solution is to bribe your children to do it for you in shifts. :)
  7. BettyBoop Member

I agree 100%... There was NO WAY the vast majority of people on my server were able to get more than a handful of these spawns due to (extremely rude) campers and people intentionally kill stealing. It was horrible and really ruined my - and everyone else in my guild I talked to - enjoyment of the event.
    Spindle, Avahlynn and SynnikuL like this.
  8. SynnikuL Active Member

Let me break this down for everyone just for kicks and giggles. Every patchcraft spawn point you find spawns 2 of the patchcrafts, which count towards the achievement, and then 1 keeper at the end with the loot. So if he's getting 125-150 kills an hour, that means he's finding 62.5 to 75 spawn points an hour, respectively. He also said they got the 10k destroyer achievement in about 5 or 6 days (of a 14 day long event) at a kill rate of 2k per day.

So...(all the below stats are non-stop playing, no breaks, etc)

2k per day at 150 kills per hour = 13.3 total hours of playing time per day
    2k per day at 125 kills per hour = 16 total hours of playing time per day

Total time to reach 10k destroyer achievement at 150 kills per hour = 66.5 hours
    Total time to reach 10k destroyer achievement at 125 kills per hour = 80 hours

125 kills per hour (which is 62.5 spawn points) = finding 1 spawn point every 57.6 seconds
    150 kills per hour (which is 75 spawn points) = finding 1 spawn point every 48 seconds

In my experience, I wasn't seeing anywhere close to 1 spawn point every 57.6 seconds. I was lucky to see one every 3 or 4 minutes. So you can do the math and see how this takes exponentially longer for anyone like myself who isn't playing at an elite level. And even at the elite level, it still takes 66 to 80 hours (which is essentially 2 full work weeks) in a 14 day event. This goes back to my original post that I don't understand why the difficulty level is so insane on this live event compared to all the others.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  9. Ynnek Well-Known Member

The problem isn't the difficulty. The problem is that expectations were not reasonably set/had. There was no indication of 'what should a normal person expect to get in one year'. 10K was expected to be spread out across many years, if at all.

If there was some indication that you were expected to get 250 (like the bunnies), people could get 250, earn a silly title, and be happy. Lunatics who want to max it out and earn a extra silly title could aim for 10K in one year. Everybody wins.

But the way it was presented, it made normal people feel like they hadn't 'finished' bristlebane day this year if they didn't get 10k. People like to 'complete' things. And people legitimately feel like they couldn't 'complete' bristlebane day this year with a sane amount of effort.

If there was only one achievement under Bristlebane day at, say 100? 250? (500?). And the full slayer progression was in the slayer category with all the others (I don't have 10,000 haripies either, and it doesn't bother me one bit), I think we could have had much less dissatisfaction with the same mechanics...
    Avahlynn, SynnikuL and Spindle like this.
  10. Spindle Well-Known Member

Good points Ynnek. Don't think it would have stopped the twit heads from KSing and/or camping.

Every server has a core group of ashats who like to **** their way through events and the heck with any other player possibly enjoying themselves. Some do it for the drama cuz that's how they roll.

Were you around for the first few years of Erollisi Day? WOW, talk about ego and drama fests lol.
  11. Daray Well-Known Member

Once you understand how and where the spawns happen, then you can plan an optimal rotation. You want to cover as many spawn cycles as possible with as little movement as possible. If you try to camp too many cycles simultaneously then you are probably worse off, because of travel time vs respawn time. As an additional option, being able to box accounts (either as spotters or to kill far away location spawns of a cycle) will increase your efficiency - if you need you can just make heroic trial toons on fresh accounts to achieve that.

The reason for me sharing the spawn mechanics for all zones, and map locations for the 3 zones I initially scouted, was to take most of the work out of it for others (because chances are that most people would have missed (and probably did miss) the important aspects of these spawn patterns).

I can't speak for other (more populated?) servers, but for the vast majority of the event on my server most of the 6 zones were completely deserted. I did notice during peak times that people would mostly congregate in Antonica for patchcraft kills and fight eachother over 2 of the 3 cycles (leaving the northerly cycle alone).

If only people weren't so oblivious to the other zones and the multiple spawn cycles in each zone, then people might have been more willing to "spread out" and use those available resources. But no, people chose to fight over a small subset of the spawns (not even grouping).
  12. SynnikuL Active Member

You know, I agree 110% with your whole post, especially this part.
  13. petier Active Member

myself I would have loved to get the achievement but knowing I was stuck working during the day I did like I would for other quests and started it in the hope that it would be there all year to finish like Erollisi Day. Sadly it was not so =/