Patchcraft Achievements

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Valgraveson, Mar 30, 2014.

1. d1anaw Well-Known Member

I got a warder for my beastlord. Other than that I haven't bothered. I have more than enough titles.
  2. Anaiul Member

Daray is an achievement addict and I wanted the super long suffix title :D I knew he'd agree to work in shifts to get it done. It goes much faster if you split the work up between 2 or more other people. Especially if they're in different time zones.

Of course I wasn't smart enough to screenshot the achievement pop-up... just the text in chat box.

Thanks for the grats.
    Charlice likes this.
  3. cellinaire Well-Known Member

2500 kills here without grouping, boxing, camping, gold member speed boost, flying mounts.(knew that trick, but I always prefer soloing) All done in Antonica..think TD isn't that good place to hunt if no one is helping ye..saw more competition in there than in Antonica but not exactly sure about that ;)

No other rewards other than Titles, so ya may sound a bit lame actually, but there are those people who love titles as much as in-game item I guess... =)

Gratz both anyway!
  4. Kiry Active Member

Yay for teamwork

[IMG]

Thanks Anaiul and Daray!
  5. Daray Well-Known Member

Actually it was the other way around for me. Antonica was packed so I had to look elsewhere, but I could see Antonica working well without competition.

Speaking of Antonica, here is a map of the locations if people care.

[IMG]
    Kaitheel and cellinaire like this.
  6. Daray Well-Known Member

Here's the one for GFay too, since I scoped this zone on day 1 of the event.

[IMG]
    Kaitheel and cellinaire like this.
  7. cellinaire Well-Known Member

Ah I see =) maybe there weren't many people when I was playing due to diff time-zone...

and Lol at SET 3

Thanks for all the info and dedication~
  8. SynnikuL Active Member

I like achievements and I do not mind doing the long, hard, mine-numbing, time-consuming ones either. After all, I have the "Craft the night away", "Romeo's got nothing on me", "Swimming under the influence", several destroyer title ones, and I've almost finished the 5k quests one.

I also have ALL of the live event achievements completed except the last 3 patchcraft ones. I was able to kill 1000 of them, but am nowhere close to 2.5k, 5k, or 10k. I was looking forward to finishing Bristlebane this year so I would have completed 51/51 live event achievements. Therefore, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to continue working on the patchcraft destroyer one after tomorrow. Here are my specific reasons:

1. Difficulty not in-tune with other Live Event achievements
    Most of the achievements for any given live event can be fully completed in 1 to 2 hours of work. The only exception to this is the Erollsi day one where you have to hand out 1000 roses. And for that one, you get to work on it YEAR ROUND.

I spent almost all of my available playing time during this event hunting down patchcrafts and I only got 1/10th of what I need. Why is there such a discrepancy in time needed and difficulty in this particular achievement versus all of the other live event ones? And again, the only other difficult/time-intensive achievement is the rose one - so why is that one allowed to be completed year round but not this one?

2. Achievement feels arbitrarily thrown together by out-of-touch devs
    This achievement feels like it was created by someone who doesn't play the game. It's a new achievement so I can't help but wonder if it was just randomly created and is unrelated to the original thinking of live event achievements. It's like they decided to just throw some random spawn points in a certain few zones and make the players kill 10k of them.

Destroyer titles take a while to get even when the mobs are plentiful. But this one has scarce mobs that are few/far between and are heavily camped. And if someone played the game, they would know that these conditions just pit players against each other. There were a couple of zones I tried where groups of anonymous players were camping the spawn points and would descend on you if you happened to get the first patchcraft. And then when the second one spawned, it's like it just randomly picked any nearby player. So even if you got the first kill, you might not get the second one if it aggro'd the other group/players. I even mistakenly pulled subsequently spawned patchcrafts off other players as I was running by. If that happened, I would /yell and run so it would reset to the original person.

I saw high level players kill the first 2 patchcrafts, then leave the keeper up. I guess this was so no lower level players could get near the spawn point. I saw people complaining about this and also something to do when beastlords would charm the patchcraft or some other pet-class would do something that broke the spawn cycle. Not sure exactly what they were talking about, but they weren't happy.

I just know that the overall mechanic was poorly designed and this brought out the worst in people. Maybe it was designed to encourage grouping or working together. But in my experience with this event, that was the exception and not the rule.

My suggestion to improve this one
    Simply make this do-able year round. I'm fine with the number of kills needed and the scarcity of the mobs - I'm just not fine with this on top of it only being available for a short time.

Now I don't think just anyone should be able to pick this up and start anytime in the year though. So I would suggest that you can only see the patchcrafts if you participated in this year's Bristlebane day. Like for instance, you have to be riding the "horse of a different color" or you have to have on a full set of Jester's clothes or a Jester's hat. Or use some other quest reward from one of the different Bristlebane day quests - that way you had to have completed it and/or participated in the event and then you are free to kill patchcrafts year round. Just like with erollsi day - you basically had to harvest the roses (they were very rare on broker and costs upwards of 5pp when I checked) during the event to be able to hand them out all year.

Luperza, SOE, - if you read all of this, thanks for your time and consideration.
  9. Daray Well-Known Member

10. SynnikuL Active Member

Yes, I read your comments earlier this week and I used your map for antonica (thanks btw) for most of my kills.

My original post and bullet points remain the same.
  11. GabenBison Active Member

Curious, how many hours in total did you spend in those 5-6 days killing those things?
  12. Ucala Well-Known Member

I will say, collecting 250 bunnies in 1 day was way way way easier then 10k kills in 2 weeks
  13. Luperza Community Manager

I talked to the Dev Team about this topic pretty much Day 1/2 of the event because there have been several other threads regarding it. (Merged threads if you didn't notice :p)

As stated on our livestream, if you missed it, the Dev Team expected players to finish the Patchcraft stuff over YEARS. They did not intend for you to finish it on the first run through of the event, but some of you are amazing over achievers. ;)

I'll definitely continue to forward on your feedback though, so please continue to be constructive. :D
    Calthine and Charlice like this.
  14. GabenBison Active Member

I wouldn't mind this achievement IF the spawn timers/sets/amount were drastically increased or if each spawn had ten mobs instead of two.
  15. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Err... Anyone know *exactly* how much time we have left?
  16. Ucala Well-Known Member

guild calender tells you...ends this friday, I assume at midnight pst
  17. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Ok, so Midnight Thursday night, Midnight Friday morning [PDT]. 28 hours and 20 minutes from now. I think...
  18. Ucala Well-Known Member

I meant midnight friday
  19. SynnikuL Active Member

Luperza - thanks for your reply and for sending the feedback on. At this rate, it will take me years to finish. That's why I'm a bit confused on this achievement and how it relates to the others. (See my point a few replies up about Difficulty not in-tune with other Live Event achievements)

I think my suggestion about making it do-able year round (IF you participated in the Bristlebane event) is a good, constructive compromise. It would bring it in-line with the erollsi rose achievement that takes A LONG TIME to finish as well, but can be done all year long.

Again, thanks for the reply!
    Luperza likes this.
  20. SynnikuL Active Member

I, too, am very interested to hear how many hours it took each day to kill 2000 of them?

Daray?