Paladin utility to a group ?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by varlak, Dec 15, 2015.

1. varlak New Member

I'm wondering if they bring noticable utility to a group (beisde tanking of course) ?

Brezz seems more usefull in a raid then in a group while mtanking but I guess it may come handy sometimes.

The group heal they bring is enough to lower the pressure on the healer ? They get a group a handy group cure ?

I'm curiosu about how the class turned out compared to their EQ1 counterpart.
  2. Boli Active Member

due to paladin agro generation (muh better at sustained than snaps) pallys generally perform better in the MT than OT position of course you can cast/cancel amends depending but in general a Pally OT will often gradually start to rip agro off the MT - especially if they use all their tools.

Sigil gives a massive mitigation boost to the group, raid arnament gives mitigation to the raid, faith offers damage reduction to the group as well as the pally if they are in short range; group heal can be handy but in general only to cover up a bad or dead/disabled healer. and the rez plus an imunity often means the pally can rez a healer and continue to tank at the same time.

in all they are closest to the guardian class as in the only utility they offer is stability and a small "buffer zone" but pretty much zero in DPS gains which is one of the reasons they are less desired.
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Crusade boosts wisdom and heal amounts of group/raid
    Lay on Hands huge single target heal that also increases mitigation can be used as a back up oh crap skill to help out a healer
    Through AA: Combat leadership adds damage to the group's next slashing attack
    Battle Leadership increases the group's damage and is until canceled
    Aura of leadership places protective regenerating ward on the group

zealous smite is a group cure aoe attack
    Soulclaim is a heroic skill that can give power back to the group on a death blow while also slightly increasing crit bonus for a short time

Through prestige: Field Commander gives the chance for more damage from the group on hostile actions--which if you were not the MT, I would probably spec for the damage prestige stuff (the right side tree)

Aura of Justice increases the group's health based on increments of divine justice

So you could make a support paladin. I'm not sure how it compares to other tanks in the off tank type of role, but I just wanted to provide some info for you on the skills that are available towards utility. There are probably even more, but those stand out to me.
  4. Wurm Well-Known Member

Problem is that most of the things you mentioned are sorely out of date and very weak at the current level of play.

The boosts are just too small to be noticed for the most part. But if you are going with the "better than nothing" approach they are OK.

I love my Paladin, and I don't play any other class. But what I do with my Paladin is Tank. For a pure support role, I wouldn't even invite my Paladin (or any other Paladin) to a raid.
    Kittybock likes this.
  5. Edrickx Member

Paladins probably have more utility than any of the other tank classes, but that that alone would not make them a support class. With the new effects on the equipment pretty much anyone can play a supportive role. For instance there are currently 2 charms, 1 that gives 91 pot to you but removes the effect if you activate one that gives the group 78 pot, the other is the cb version of this 91 cb to you and 78 cb to the group when activated. If you are consistent with with keeping these running that is one way you can be. Also items like the signature quest reward that give group pot/cb or the Amplifying effects make you more of a support player.

Have your Paladin wear equipment such as this (maybe even have an offensive armor set) and have them roll in offensive stance and you prob would not notice much of a difference between a pug support and them.
  6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was more information for if you know you're taking a paladin, and you know you're not going to ask that person to tank, what do they have in their toolbox that wasn't mentioned by the first response. However, a paladin hardly, and shouldn't, compare to a true support class.

Something I have enjoyed about eq2 is that there really doesn't seem to be a jack of all trades when it comes to content that actually requires a group.

That being said, it is also fun that you can play your character a variety of ways and try to fit what is most useful for the group.
    Seefar likes this.
  7. Seefar Well-Known Member

I've always loved pallies and will duel* anyone who tries to diss them.

* and lose
    Kittybock likes this.
  8. Boli Active Member

The only duals ive lost on my pally in years have been down to boredom. Just stand there; rotate saves/heals and cure. You'll never be able to win a dual, but You'll never loose one either.
  9. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Nothing has changed since I stopped playing. Paladins provide the least utility to a group of all the tanks. A group with a god awful healer may benefit somewhat, and a group with zero aggro control might benefit somewhat. However, other than that, paladin utility is terrible.

Tried getting it fixed back when class balance was on the table. Nothing came from it. Sorry gents.
  10. Daalilama Well-Known Member

TBH Maer....nothing pretty much happened at all with all the other classes when they asked for feedback....aside maybe swash and beastlord....guess they can only focus on 2 classes at a time for fixes...
  11. kluxor Well-Known Member

Demonstration of Faith is the saddest part of the paladin. Used to be so good, now its worth the click to cast it.
  12. Taka Active Member

A clean rez on low cooldown.
    Raid wide additional physical mit.
    group wide potency. and healing increase.
    Lay on hands for anyone, if you've got good reflexes. (or group with the cloak)
    Low cooldown, raid wide dps bumps- heroic destruction
    and Most important of all:
    1 mil-5mil dps :(
    100-300k hps o_O

pally>empty slot. :)

I will say though, i sustain with a solo raid healer if we're short. And our group is usually the last to die.. unless of course we hit the death count... again. :D
  13. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Yeah.. unless the game has changes drastically since I last played, the only situationally useful thing a paladin has is raidwide mit buff. With the mit cap gone, that's probably less useful than ever.

Rez would be cool if those death caps weren't in place, and it didn't rez people in front of the mob (where the paladin is) just to die again instantly. Lol.

The rest is brail to a deaf man.
  14. Sylke Well-Known Member

Pfft... 10-20mil!
  15. Moostafoo Active Member

Critting Holy Ground for 11-15 mil threat in ToV was orgasmic on my pally. I dont even care about dps. i just do what im actually supposed to do. Defensive healing tank. I tanked all of TOV heroic zones with 10% hate mod and 10 dps mod. Not even Rangers or Assassins could rip agro off me back then. Dunno how it is now. I still love my pally.
  16. Meneltel Well-Known Member

\

Bah, paladins. They have the persistence of zombies, but lack their charisma or personality. *grins*
    Kittybock likes this.
  17. Taka Active Member

Sure, maybe on some aoe fights, aoe trash but its been my experience thats not the general or even raiding pallies parse expectancy? i could be holding it wrong. :)
  18. Moostafoo Active Member

only parse paladins need to be topping is the threat parse. dont even need to dps to keep agro
  19. Monstuhr Well-Known Member

One thing I think would help pally utility is to change the cloak from group wide lay on hands to a group wide non-shared ward from demonstration of faith.
  20. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Every decent tank can hold aggro. You're failing to understand how balance works: You're not balancing against your abilities to do your role. You balanced against OTHER TANKS and their ability to do the role.

Every tank can do everything. Who do you bring? You bring the one that does the most DPS and provides the most practical and effective utility. Until the population of the game is reduced to triple digits, you certainly have a choice.

That choice is not Paladin.