paks/Char_A.vpk

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-Daysy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

When I run the patcher, it says it's replacing this file (and many others), then it says it's retrying the file, then it says the file is incomplete or corrupted and I should try again in 20-30 minutes.

I've tried copying in my backup from a few weeks ago, I've tried deleting the file, I've tried renaming my Cache directory, I've been retrying for over an hour but keep getting the same. If I start the game without the launcher, everyone is naked and the client crashes if I zone.
  2. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

Daysy wrote:
    try right click the icon and run as administrator
  3. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

Wingrider01 wrote:
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Presumably that's turned off on my computer because I've never had to do it. Anyway, problem solved by copying the paks directory and app_cache.dat from another computer.
  4. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Daysy, I'm glad to know you were able to resolve your issue! Happy Gaming!
  5. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

Daysy wrote:

Presumably that's turned off on my computer because I've never had to do it. Anyway, problem solved by copying the paks directory and app_cache.dat from another computer.
    If you installed in the default directory of \Program Files..... sometimes the UAC get borked up and will not allow updates to that directory unless the user is running the application as administrator, this can be tested by right clicking the failing application and run as administrator to temporarily elvate security permisions
  6. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Keep us updated when you get the chance!
  7. ARCHIVED-Daysy Guest

That workaround is no longer working :( I can get the game to run with EverQuest2.exe but of course then I have problems like portals not being there, vague light blobs instead of quest feathers, etc.
    My install path is C:\Games not ProgramFiles. I have four installations there (two accounts, live and Test). Every one of them ended up with the same problem of sticking on one of the paks files, which I then copied in from my backup on an external hard drive. When I retry, it gets past that file and continues to the next one, where I do the same thing. At first, copying the app_cache.dat from another installation worked, now it doesn't. I tried renaming the cache and assetcache directories but it didn't help.

Then I thought the problem might be with the C drive, which is SSD, so I downloaded EQ2_Full_setup.exe and started a completely new installation into D:\Games. The download goes quickly until it gets to the paks files and then does exactly the same thing:

*Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ECA3.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ACC.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ACC1.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ECA3.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ACC.vpk
    *Warning: Retrying paks/Char_ACC2.vpk
    *Error: The downloaded file is incomplete or was corrupted. An update may be in progress. Please try again in 20-30 minutes.
    I can't think of anything else to try.