Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Kerrdogg, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Kerrdogg New Member

I have never played this game before but would really like to give it a go. Could someone please point me to a good website or a few guides for new players. Please. Thanks.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Carynn like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

Cyrrena, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  3. Cravaro Active Member

EQ2 is a 15 year old game with so many additions and changes through the years. Yet it still has a charm that keeps me at it. As a new player you may be overwhelmed with so much to see and do. EQ2 still has many great paths a new player can progress. There is no real good starting city choice, aside from being good or evil aligned, and that really depends on your chosen class. Most class choices can be either evil or good, there are 8 (I think) and are still alignment specific and your starting choice city choice would be Kelethin or Neriak. But ultimately once you start leveling up and begin questing beyond the starter zones, your alignment becomes almost inconsequential.

The quest zones are designed to give you XP and decent enough quest rewards to keep your gear current. Don't be too concerned with completing every quest in each hub. Just do what feels right and fun. Use Leloes' advice above and bookmark the EQ2 Wiki. It will be your friend and is very comprehensive. I recommend searching the Wiki for Heritage Quests (HQ) for your level. The Wiki will direct you to the area and quest starter and specifically pre-requisites for each HQ.

I recommend opening your Guild search and look for a guild that invites players of all levels. In most cases those guild gladly help lower level or new players.

Remember to not become flustered with sensory input with all you see. Don't think you have to do everything, at least not yet! Take your time and have fun.
    Chrisolovs, Cyrrena, Blazen and 4 others like this.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Join a guild is a big thing, and will help a lot. You can ask a zillion questions here and on the discord, too. People will take the time to answer. Hardest part will be picking a server: Kaladim, which will be early, locked content, or live, which most people are at end game only unless you join a progression server on AB (there are two of them). Of course, you can solo on live and putz around without any issues for free, exploring the game at your own pace. There is a *ton* of content in the pre-100 levels, with some fantastic storytelling. Post-100 is sort of meh. I loved the Thulmbra tradeskill storyline - I found it to be the best in game, so kudos to the dev who wrote it - but I wasn't too keen on the other storylines, especially because they were so short. All content can be solo'd or done with a merc up to end game, except for raiding, so don't be worried if you want to take your time and explore everything the game has to offer.

It's still a great game, even if you see millions of posts of complaints on the forums. We complain because we want to get it fixed right, because we love it. If there weren't any posts, it'd be a dead game.

PS Do tradeskilling. It's needed eventually, for one thing, but if you do it in chunks (like every ten levels), it makes it less arduous for people who can't stand it.

PPS Visit some decorated homes and be amazed and the simple fun had by moving pixels around.
    Blazen, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  5. Avithax Well-Known Member

Beginning new players often want to try to absorb more than they should when they first start. There are many resources such as Eq2wire or Wiki to find answers to specific questions but the best way to learn the game is to experience it. The same way you wouldn't learn as much reading for hours about driving a car as you would just getting behind the wheel and going for a spin but in Norrath there are no red lights or speed limits :)

*Edit: My wife just pointed out to be that shinys are Norrath's version of a red light, I stand corrected!
    Cyrrena, Blazen, Seefar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ephras Active Member

Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  7. Katz Well-Known Member

You've been given a lot of good advice. Another thing you can do is let us know which server you are playing on. Many of us would be glad to add you to our friends list and answer questions in game. We often also send bags and so forth to new players.
    Cyrrena, Soara2, Blazen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Neranya Member

When you go adventuring you'll see tons of quest-givers. Don't feel you have to do every single quest, or you can drive yourself nuts. A good guild is really helpful, and I believe you will find most players are always willing to answer questions and give advice.
    The websites you've been given are a great source of information. You can also find good tutorials on various aspects of the game on Youtube.
    Welcome to Norrath, and enjoy!
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Additionally, if you like tradeskills, you will want to bookmark EQ2TradersCorner and another really good site that I consider a must have is EQ2U.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.