Overseer Icons: Much harder to differentiate after patch

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mermut, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Mermut Well-Known Member

The changes to the overseer icons have taken many icons that were easy to tell apart at a glance and turned them all into tiny gray outlined black icons on black backgrounds.
    Cunning, wise, tough, strong, cautious all got new HARDER to see/differentiate icons.

Thanks for changing honest to not look the same as vigilant, but even that icon is hard to see.

Please consider reverting the icons (except for honest) to the previous icons so we can actually tell them apart without getting out a magnifying glass.
    Remember these icons are TINY on our screens and there is no way to increase their size.
  2. Rebelde Active Member

I can't agree more with you. Only "agile" (which has the same icon) is easy to see now. For the others you have to move your mouse over the icon in the mission and in the agents to know what to use.
    Please revert the change or redimension or change the size and the backdrop them to make them visibles.
    Thank you ;)
    Almee and Zynt like this.
  3. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Makes you wonder what else is broke that didnt make the patch notes
    Almee, Rhodris, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  4. Twisty Well-Known Member

of all the things that were important to fix with Overseer... icons were dead last lol
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Here's what I said about it in the Test Server Forum (i.e., they ignored my feedback, good luck to you!) /grumbles /stomps

I will note that the two changed icons look an awful lot like one another. This compounds the problem with Vigilant and Honest, which have sword icons. If you're going to change the icons, make them more unique. There's 214 pages of icons in /UI/Default/images/icons which should surely give us some scope for uniqueness and appropriateness.

Here are the Traits I know about, and the icons I'd have selected for them:
    • Agile: icon_ss16 (person doing backflip)
    • Cautious: icon_ss24 (brown tiptoeing guy)
    • Dexterous: icon_ss17 (blue hand, manual dexterity, slight of hand)
    • Diplomatic: icon_ms3 (handshake)
    • Focused: icon_ss1 (face with closed eyes and starburst on forehead)
    • Honest: icon_ss9 or icon_ss22 (upright open hand, like someone swearing an oath)
    • Lucky: icon_ss21 (rolling dice); icon_is65 (horseshoe)
    • Righteous: icon_ss15 (Mithaniel Marr's helmet)
    • Strong: icon_ss1 (flexed biceps)
    • Tough: icon_ss15 (boot, "tough as old boot leather" being proverbial)
    • Vigilant: icon_ss1 (eye)
    • Charming: No Change (snake, plays off "snake charmer")
    • Cunning: No Change (I guess the goblet is a play on Vizzini from Princess Bride?)
    • Devoted: No Change
    • Intelligent: No Change
    • Noble: No Change
    • Persuasive: No Change
    • Sly: No Change
    Almee, Lateana, Drona and 2 others like this.
  6. Argosunited Well-Known Member

So much wrong with the Overseer but that’s what you change? Much gratitude
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Yeah, odd to say the least. When you're on the Titantic and it just hit the iceberg, don't focus on cooking dinner for guests that night. May want to consider some prioritizing items. Nice that some armor got spelling changes, but when raiders still can't buy raid armor, they don't give a damn how it's spelled, haha.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I went ahead and created a Bug Report based on reduced identifiability and playability with the new icons.
    Almee, dreamweaver, Lateana and 4 others like this.
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Thnx, Sig. As you know, a lot of us have aging eyes. Trying to see something clearly that's the size of font sized 4 is a bit difficult.
    Breanna, Almee and Sigrdrifa like this.
  10. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Wait, there's icons?! I thought I had a bug on my screen again. :p
    Breanna, Almee, Lateana and 2 others like this.
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The new icons are garbage.
    Breanna, Almee, Lateana and 4 others like this.
  12. Thand Well-Known Member

i and vision in parted and a few of them are almost indisinguisahable since they are shades of grey and black. please change them back to the high contrast icons so they are easy to tell apart
    Almee and Sigrdrifa like this.
  13. Zynt Feldon's sock puppet

I mean, I got a bloody claw shiny, again, for my 10 hour mission but at least I had to mouse over every icon to figure out what changed.
    Argosunited, Almee and Sigrdrifa like this.
  14. Drona Well-Known Member

The new icons are hard to see. Many of us are getting old and we don't have good eyesight and this chnage feels like it designed to make us go blind even faster!
    Argosunited and Almee like this.
  15. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Apparently whoever created these new icons has 'eyes like a hawk' and zero understanding of icon design.
    Argosunited, Almee and Tangris like this.
  16. Almee Well-Known Member

Oh my, and I thought I was the queen of snarky lol. My eyes are so bad I didn't even know they had changed the icons. I just thought my eyesight had gotten worse. I'm glad to hear it didn't.
    Argosunited likes this.