Overlap Shimmer Problem

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sigrdrifa, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have some Marketplace kitchen counters I need to set together to look like one built-in counter. The problem is that they have to overlap a little to do this, and I have overlap shimmer at the "seams". Is there anything I can do about this?

[IMG]
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Oldpoint like this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

I have literally stood there for hours and hours trying to get stuff like that fixed. Eventually they will lay in just right if enough patience (which I usually don't have) I'm not sure if the layout editor will fix stuff like that or not I haven't used it in probably 10 years and 2 pc's ago I forgot where I got it and never re-downloaded it, but I know there was really cool stuff you could do with that to get rid of the seams.

I had that problem with some of my walls trying to get them to go together right and it took FOREVER!

Uwk recently posted on one of the threads a link to download it although for the life of me I can't find where I wrote it down at, because I've been meaning to re-download it.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Oldpoint like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Its at EQ2 interface from the main EQ2 Homepage in the links section. There are 2 of them though, JesDyr's and I forgot the name of the other one, I apologize. I have them both.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I do use the layout editor. I can get floor tiles and building blocks to lie together seamlessly (this particular house has a Deepwater Tile floor and a Stone of Adoration Tile floor).

With this counter, the countertop and kickplate extend beyond the cabinets, so they're having to overlap to get things spaced right. I may just have to suck up the shimmer. I may investigate inserting a stair plank at the seam or something... hmm. The problem is that none of our tiles have exactly that wood coloration, teak is probably closest. Or maybe I could use black marble and pretend it's intentional echoing of the marble countertop.

[IMG]
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

That's the issue I was having with the wall sections too they stuck out on the top and the bottom. I did get them to finally fit though I can't remember how it's been a LONG time and I had the editor back then when I did it.

I think the black marble idea could be your best bet if the color is good.

When I did my fence in the city of mist house I found that flying in the air and looking straight down on it helped get rid of the stupid overlap fuzzy stuff too. The fence/railings came out pretty nice you can't even see where the seams are and I think those were big on top and bottom too iirc.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

That's a pretty counter by the way LOL
  7. Lera Well-Known Member

Try moving one of them very slighty with the editor, like .0001 back towards the wall (the back of the cabinet). It's often not noticeable but will get rid of the shimmer. Items only shimmer if they're in the exact same place. Maybe even try .00001 and see if that gets rid of it; if not, keep moving it by that amount until it goes away. Sometimes it creates shimmer on another side, so watch for that.
  8. Oldpoint Well-Known Member

I use 0.002 as the displacement with layout editor. I always encounter the overlap phenomenon and solve that by displace this amount as my general practise.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sennen's, which I usually use; I have them both, too, and each has its merits. :)

Another thing I've done with issues like that, where if you try to get rid of the shimmer, you get a gap somewhere else you don't want, is to slap up a Railing of some complimentary color (so that it looks like, "ahh, yeaahhh! That was always part of the design! That's the ticket! :D") over the shimmer area. The problem I've had with doing that is when the Railing I'll use will "dance," invariably, because I have to use Pitch to get it from lying flat on the floor, where it's happiest, to standing on one short end, flat side out toward the viewer, which it hates. Layout editor(s) to the rescue! Pitch it to 89.875, and no one but the computer will "see" that last 0.125 of a degree. ;->

EDIT: Aaand that's what I get for not reading all the posts yet, but yeah, I haven't tried that "scootch it back a tad" method yet, since I'm always worried I'll spot it being off by the equivalent of a millimeter. But since we're dealing with 8 digits after the decimal point (xxx.12345678), we could probably do quite a bit of scootching that only the computer would know about. ;->

Uwk
    Oldpoint, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I used the 0.002 on my perfect floor as well.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The 0.002 is magical. Thanks everyone! That worked beautifully, as I hope you will get to see when you tour the HHE19 homes.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Brilliant! I'm saving this page for that advice. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Oldpoint like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So: does this mean that "Double-Oh 2" will be our new go-to agent? ;->

Doesn't scan well, though... "Double-Oh Deuce"? Still not enough syllables, though I like the rhythm of it. ;->

Uwk
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That number is magic. Everything I tried with the editor, I used that number and it worked perfectly!! I don't think I will ever try another number.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

Occasionally I will run into this overlap situation with different items. My fix....reduce the size of one of the items just enough to rid the items of the shimmer, without reducing the size to something really noticeable. Generally I start by reducing the size of one of the items by .0003, then go from there, using the layout editor, though changing the numbers using Notebook, as Uwk often suggests, should work as well.

While this may work for things you view up close, if you view it from a distance, say, from across the room or two or three rooms over, the shimmer may still show up.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Changing the numbers is just changing the numbers; doesn't matter what you use to do so, whether JesDyr's, Sennen's, or the Notepad Method. They're all just tools for crunching the digits; some are fancy, some with less frills. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.