Outside of raiding luclin has no content

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by dirgenoobforreal, May 12, 2020.

1. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Never even left the spire area before I hit 120.

Yes, I read... I shouldn't have to read slow to lengthen my experience.

Stop defending bad design as though its great. The fact that you find it acceptable to reach max level on the day new content drops shows how out of touch you really are with MMO design and player longevity.
  2. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

If you leveled 120 after 1 sig line task in The Blinding, then that's a reportable bug.

Herein is the problem. How many people appreciate the dialogue and lore? Who is going to take the brain power to link Praesertums, Luminaries, Triskian Seru, and Chronomagic together?

Many people treat EQ2 (and most other games) like a rat race to min-max with content as window dressing.

Unfortunately, Overseer touches on how many players treat the game: click-and-forget.

Edit: When BoL was released, most of the complaints were related to the race-to-power (i.e. crafted gear stats, spell upgrades) and not [lack of] quests.
  3. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I don't think you should max level on the first day but it should be fast. Like I said earlier, the alternative is two dozen threads with the following theme:

• Grind makes me want to quit.
    • Grind forces me to buy upgrades from cash shop (P2W) to kill faster.
    • Did you not learn from Ascension grind?
    • Quests are too long, annoying.
    • Quest time sink artificially lengthens this expansion.
    • How can I level alts at this rate?
    • I don't want to run these lengthy quests again!
    • I hated how long it took to complete Raffik line! Another one?!
    • This is like my epic quest nightmare. Solo players can't complete it!
    • Spend less time on quest dialogue, more time on raid content!
  4. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

You can re-dress "grinding" any way you want and hide it behind some other mechanic, but the fact remains MMO's are a grind. I just prefer my grind to have some substance to it other than staring at a menu.
    Spindle and SynergyBlaize like this.
  5. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

We like grind. Some players don't. Others will argue that devs shouldn't waste resources on "roleplay" elements and get to the meat-and-potatoes (missions, raids).

We are basing the assumption that Overseer is the future of the game on a blurb from a podcast. I think people are taking that quote and running with it (ala Holly's "filthy casuals" quote).
  6. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

Be warned. Any conversation with Benito will NOT reach a conclusion. That is its sole purpose.
    Spindle, Amalar, Gillymann and 4 others like this.
  7. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

I am not basing it on a blurb from a podcast. I am basing it on experience in the current expansion.

If they want people to play a game, they have to develop an actual game.
    If they want people to pay a subscription they have to make it a worthwhile game.
    If they want people to stick around, then it needs more than a single quest line and repeatable menu tasks to keep people around.

It's not my fault or any other players fault that the design decisions have been reduced to what they are. That is on the designers and limited only by what programmers can achieve in the time given.

It's beginning to look more and more like Holly jumped off a sinking ship rather than sailed for better opportunities.
  8. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

Oh I am fully aware, sometimes I feel like feeding trolls though.
    Amalar likes this.
  9. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

We just got Diaku Corral in GU114. We still have game updates, summer events, and anniversary events coming up.

I believe the death knell of the game due to Overseer is premature. Come back in a year.

Until then, we can agree to disagree.
  10. Jamzez Active Member

They already lost the player's that didn't like the grind year's ago, I would rather have long quest chain's and more substance and though put into the quest's and expansion's.
    What is the infatuation with adding content that is repeated over and over and over all it does is give us groundhog day syndrome ala Overseer that infuse this you need this buff level 5 you mount needs to mate 30 times for your stat's to be high enough to even group. Finally get in group get yelled at cause your spells are too low better open that wallet up or quit the game and play another mmo,
    SynergyBlaize and Erudinel like this.
  11. Jamzez Active Member

Yeah I can't wait for the summer panda event, run to a zone where you remember when people had to group up to progress through the zone, sorry I'm off topic BOL the worst expansion I ever paid money for.
  12. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Nah. This is what we got in 2019:

Castle Mischief (GU 109, Feb 2019):

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-gu-109-announce-mischief-and-mayhem-2019

[IMG]

Kael (GU 111, August 2019):

https://www.everquest2.com/news/gu111-fabledkd-dos2019

[IMG]

2019 Summer Ethereal (Astral Gloom):

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Chillispike/2019_Summer_Ethereal_Event_is_now_available

Dragon Attack! (November 2019):

https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-heroesfest-dragonattack-15th-anniversary-2019

[IMG]

Not counting the updates to Brewday, Tinkerfest, Chronoportal, Oceanfull, and Halloween.
  13. Warlyx Active Member

i appreciate the dialogue and the lore of main questlines , anything that isnt boring sidequests is enjoyable at least the first time

i would prefer a long quest that lvls u from start to finish that 1000 quests that are kill 20 mobs because....

if the team needs to cut corners , do it on boring side quests , and create a interesting signature quest that make u feel importan in this new zones. Hell it can varie from fighter to priest , 1 is using the players as meat shield to protect something , other heal some important NPC , mage some CC needed (roots , mez) , for scout? easy stealth around and kill priority targets , so leveling an alt nets u a different path / aproach.

30 quests with interesting lore > 200 boring sidequests

btw overseer is the cheapest thing eq2 has added , its even sad. Others game have it implemented and ppl hate it for a reason , u as player arent going out there into an adventure u just click a button and send "npcs" and wait hours to click again , is lame period.
    Spindle, Carynn, Ratala and 2 others like this.
  14. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I keep thinking back fondly to KoS, remembering grind groups in Palace of the Awakened. If all you're focussing on is an xp bar that slowly creeps up, it sounds boring, but you chat, you meet people, you try things, you screw up, you learn. You gradually move to the tougher parts of the zone, you end up breaking into the upper floors with the dragons and learning how to kill them. And that's just one zone. Sanctum of the Scaleborn became quite tough when you went a bit deeper than your group could handle, in search of new named mobs and more xp. That xpac was great, imo one of the best, if not THE best.
    I have vague memories of the quest lines. I have a feeling you were nowhere near max level once you'd finished the main quest line. Or was it that you needed to grind between quests to get strong enough to continue the quest lines? Either way, I wasn't max level 20 minutes after starting the xpac.

Levelled an alt the other day, claimed a potion and popped it just before handing in the Plane of Innovation step of the PoP signature line. I went from 107 I think, to 113, handing in one quest. Then did the prelude quest, went to the Blinding, and I was I believe, at this point, about 117 or 118. Just.. starting.. the xpac. Hand in first signature line step in the Blinding, level 120. Well, that was fun.
  15. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I've rolled another toon to play through RoK. I lost interest in BoL months ago.
    Lateana and Breanna like this.
  16. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Well I just got banned from discord for asking "Why do you want to login right now guys? There isn't any content in Luclin, oh ya yall want to do overseers... I see." - Login servers were having a hickup and I thought it was a pretty witty and funny question.

Was it a smarta$$ question? Sure? Was it ban worthy? Absolutely not.
    Erudinel, Lateana, Ratala and 3 others like this.
  17. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Yep, that seems to be the standard M.O., more and more. I'm right there with you, after getting banned last weekend - apparently if you don't worship at the altar of Kander and dare to utter something that isn't praise, you'll likely get hit with the ban hammer.

Sorry it happened, I'll save the rest of my comments for a different thread to avoid de-railing this. I will say, I've found a lot of content to keep me busy, entertained, and even thinking about what to do next with my character, since starting my period of self-reflection. I even went on a few small scale raids, and had a blast!

None of it was in Norrath though.
    Erudinel, Ratala, CSP84 and 2 others like this.
  18. Beee Well-Known Member

sadly no

Overseer are not the real EQ2 idea - They just give you the platin and items you ever wanted (if you are lucky and know how ot use IoR)

eg you get VIII runes from Overseer and selling them gives you all the millions of platin you need
    And this mechanism is silly.
  19. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

Please I can not be the only one to find combat in this game is so dry and static. Mobs have FAR too much HP and I honestly used to fall asleep just clicking each of my zillion CA's one after another. That is probably the main reason I have not came back for years just not enjoyable combat whatsoever.

The stat and number bloat has not helped with that, and with the million different things to grind or pay-to-upgrade I do not see myself returning until there is an EQ3.

Honestly how many systems are there you can pay to max! And people will say "oh its pay to skip" yeah well when the non pay option is some absurd grind for something like a level on a mount (honestly did we need EVERY MECHANIC to have levels you can pay to skip!!!) It feel so price gougy. Like Yeah they call it "F2P" but even with a membership you are gonna be grinding infinitely UNLESS you pay up more on-top of your membership, just to get to the same point that someone has dropped tons of $$.

Any game that is supported by people dropping hundreds/thousands of $$ in the cash shop is an indication of a problem with the gameplay to me. And currently this business model is so embedded they can't even change it now.

I honestly can not understand how people can defend the game in its current state. Blinders honestly.

edit: this has been my semi-annual salt post, thank you
    Warlyx and Gillymann like this.
  20. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

EQNext destroyed the SOE/Daybreak company. Remember Voxels and Storybricks for EQN and Landmark? Vaporware on vaporware? No thanks!

The funny thing is the same people complaining about the state of EQ2 also pray for the third iteration of the EQ franchise but don't realize the oxymoron.