Outer Vaults spoilers

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Mystfit, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mystfit Well-Known Member

So, I had my first experience in Outer Vaults. Yes, yes, years late, but hey, we can't all be cool.
    I thought I would type up some stuff we learned. You can't take mercs, and we weren't a full group so I wasn't even sure it was doable and whenever I asked, no one seemed to know. So, here it is if you're interested :)
    There are 6 mercs in the zone. Anyone can take any or all and switch out as needed. You have to have the guardian to get past the first wall. And it's suggested you use the guardian with Crag to be a second tank.
    But, it's the final named that presents the challenge. Whatever merc you don't use gives the x2 a buff, so you want to pick them carefully if you are not a full group.
    Guardian-he gives a buff that gives a decent decrease in the damage the mob takes.
    Dirge-resurrects the mob after you kill him the first time. I don't know if his resurrection was just once or if he would have done it again and again as we grabbed him the next time.
    Brigand-big damage spikes.
    Templar-he can heal himself.
    Ranger-damage and knockbacks (can hug back wall and avoid it)
    Conjuror-he ports you all around the area.

If you don't take conjy, clear the large pool area.
    I didn't try it without the healer, so I don't know how much healing he does. It was what we were gong to try next if we had failed again.
    We didn't take a guardian- it slowed the fight down some but not a big deal.
    We took brigand as the damage spikes were nasty. I think I could have healed through it, but the knockbacks and porting had us off balance so it was nice not to also have to deal with damage spikes.
    We took brigand, Templar and dirge. I consider the dirge a gotta take!

Anyway, it was fun. Not as hard I know as when people did it at level, but I still had fun!
  2. Nebula Member

It's been awhile, but here's my impressions from when we duoed this zone:

The last named calls out when he's gonna implement a buff.
    It would have been a nice touch if a developer had considered smaller groups and allowed a window of opportunity for us to get the correct "merc" up before the buff hits, but unfortunately that's not what happens. It seems like it's an instant check. So you need to have the correct "merc" up before he calls.
    Therefore, it would also have been nice if there was a specific order in which the MOB checks to see if you've got each class. Guess what? He doesn't, and it's random.

I've duoed this a few times and sometimes it's easy because we're lucky and managed to pick correct.
    As I say, it would have been nice if the dev had considered us coming in, because with a full group you'll have all the requisite "mercs" and all this makes no difference at all. Typical.

The first time we did it, we had to fight him with all his hitpoints, twice, because we missed the Guardian and the Dirge. It took forever!
    IMO, the dirge is the least of your worries. If you can get him down once, you can do it again. But if you do not disable some of the others you'll encounter big damage spikes (of course, with today's endgame solo gear you'll be able to handle that easier than we did when we did this). Note: if you've countered one buff the first time around, you do not need to counter it the second - but you do need to counter the dirge if you didn't do it the first time around.

We make sure that both players have all of the mercs' tokens. We start with the Temp and Guard and cross our fingers those are one of the ones he starts with too. (Note to dev: crossing our fingers, not really a skill check). As soon as either has been countered we switch to another "merc" - the Brig, Ranger or Conj. And so on.
  3. santargria Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread (sorry) but I'm currently attempting to do a bunch of heritage quests solo and this one I'm not having any luck with killing the end mob

Does any one know how to hot bar the mercs?

I get a popup if I click on the "you recive" message, but I don't see how to hotbar the mercs.

Thanks as always in advance
  4. santargria Well-Known Member

NM - duoed it and finished - thanks anyway although this would be helpful for future players