Out of Game Guild Chat?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Ereon, May 10, 2013.

1. Ereon New Member

It used to be that you could chat with guild mates in EQ2 outside of game. There was even support for third party applications. I am fairly certain this is no longer supported but I wanted to be sure. Is it still supported but have the details changed or is it completely unsupported now?

Thanks!

Ereon
  2. Ynnek Well-Known Member

I believe all the gateways in question died of neglect. They were probably the pet projects of individual Dev's with a vision, then fell into disrepair when the Dev in question moved on, and finally went offline completely.
  3. Feldon Well-Known Member

I have asked everyone at SOE I can ask about this except John Smedley, and I'll ask him at SOE Live. It's just getting development hours dedicated to it.

This would be a killer app on Desktop, iPhone, and Android to see if guildies are on and might want to play.
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Morg Well-Known Member

Feldon's idea is great if you are away from your computer.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Guild and in-game Chat would be the foundation of a good EQ2 mobile app.

For instance, if an item is linked in chat (Auction, Guild, etc.) I'd want to be able to view that item in a popup tab without losing my place in chat. And I'd want to be able to pick a character on my account and see if that item would be an upgrade.

I'd want to be able to view a Gear Report on my characters that's compact enough to fit on the screen, yet still give the necessary information to which slots need an upgrade.

I'd want to be able to browse bosses by zone and see what loot they drop.

You know, I really shouldn't be giving away all these ideas. ;) But without access to in-game chat, how exciting would an EQ2 mobile app be?
    Ceyllynn and Prissetta like this.
  6. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Some ages ago, there was a form of chatting via eq2players, but got lost for no reason (profit)
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

It was a Jabber front end for SOE's chat system. But since you had to login and provide your Station account credentials to be able to chat (to allow chatting in your Guild), I think the security risks were too great after the breach.
  8. Kalderon Well-Known Member

hum... i thought it was somewhere in the eq2player univers hidden under some features (not today tho). Didn´t used any thirdparty tools or websites.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

You could chat on EQ2Players.
    You could also chat through the Station launcher.

And eventually, people figured out that this chat was really a Jabber chat server and thus figured out how to connect directly rather than through a klunky website or a Windows-only app. If the Jabber server were still available, there are over a dozen Jabber apps for your phone that would let you chat with guildies from the couch.
  10. Hordolin Awanagin Active Member

Talk about a blast from the past. The last edit to the document (the copy I have anyway) was 3-30-2005.
    Using Guild Chat with Third-Party Clients

By
    Pablo Herrero
    Version 1.00
    © 2005 Sony Online Entertainment Inc.
  11. Thechurchofgixx Active Member

I wish we could
    Feldon likes this.
  12. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

13. Loxfin New Member

Bump this ... I use to use the app all the time like a decade ago... this needs to be a thing for real... would bring more life to the game
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

holy necro!

my guild uses discord.
  15. Loxfin New Member

16. Loxfin New Member

i am going to try this then program an app if it works
  17. Kheldorm Active Member

Why not just use discord?
    It's free, it's functional, it works across platforms, including smartphones, supports text, voice, private messages...
    And you don't have to join the EQ2 channel, they don't control Discord.
    Prissetta and Ceyllynn like this.