Optimal DM dungeons dufficulty

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Keran77, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Keran77 Guest

How do you think, what should be an optimal DM dungeon difficulty? I mean not a challenge rating, but more a number of wipes needed to fully complete a dungeon.
    I saw, some creators (with a quite high rating) makes really huge encounters, impossible to clear at once, so it needs to pull it, kill part of encounter, die, return, pull again, kill another part of encounter... I could be 3 or more times in most hard cases.
    How do you think - is this practice good (more wipes - more challenge - cool) or bad (wipe is possible only if player makes somethin dumb - for example pulls 3 separate encounters at once)?
    And how much times should you die to leave the dungeon uncompleted?

Also, how do you think - is it good to place dungeon exit same room as dungeon entrance, or dungeon should be designed such way, that exit only available after full clean?

I understand, all that is nothing but a matter of taste, but I want to see, well, maybe, some kind of statistic, so I could know how common is my own point of view... :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Coopendor Guest

Editted, moved to the Dungeon Maker thread,
  3. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Building in intential wipe prone encounters is d u m b, especiallt so becasue we are forced to use an Avatar. Avatars are so incredibly weak compared to players its playing an entirely (unattractive) different game and a waste of time. Building in frustration through over populated encounters is no way to make it fun.
  4. ARCHIVED-Tollymore Guest

Im in agreement with Nrgy - if you play well, you should be able to clear the dungeon in one pass. If you play badly, you should wipe.

I wont rate any dungeon highly that seems to be designed around a leeroy-kill some-start again cycle.