Opinions on a new character!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by NrthnStar5, Nov 17, 2019.

1. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

I've had a concept for a little while of making a "Pirate" character. My inclination is to select the Brigand class, but I'm somewhat torn the race.

My first choice is a Troll. I think they are comical and are often used as Pirates throughout the game. Alternatively, I've been thinking of Gnome or Ratonga as good choices as well...

Initial thought would be to start him out in Timorous Deep. Feels natural for a Pirate to call home. Thinking Weaponsmith for the tradeskill as well... seeing as I don't have a max level one and also fits the concept of the character.

So what do you think, conceptually, makes a good Pirate character? Would love to hear others opinions on race, class, starting city, tradeskill. This is all about building a fun character concept, so I welcome others thoughts and opinions.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Swashbucklers also make good pirates.

As for tradeskill, you will be needing a jeweler to make your jewlery and combat arts upgrades. You will need an armor smith for your chain armor. I don't recall if brigs/swashies use poison, but if so, you would need to get that from an alchemist.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. Cragfire Well-Known Member

It would depend if "Pirate" is a "Class" or a "Profession", if the second you could be almost any class really. :)
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Svenone Well-Known Member

Brigs definitely use poisons. As for picking a tradeskill, almost all are useful at some point (maybe not sage as a brig...). I tend to prefer a tradeskill that is useful beyond the start of an expansion, so...

Carpenter: can make a few useful items (mender kits, boxes), but mostly for house decorations
    Provisioner: food & drink are always useful
    Woodworker: if you use wood-based ammo (arrows/bolts) these are always useful
    Armorer: really only useful when you need new crafted armor for scouts/non-brawler fighters/non-druid priests
    Tailor: good for starting mage/druid/brawler armor, and bags to carry/store your stuff
    Weaponsmith: really only good for starting weapons (and maybe situational raid weapons...)
    Jeweler: good for starting jeweler and scout combat arts, but once you have those upgraded they kinda useless until the next expansion
    Alchemist: makes potions and poisons and are always useful for a brigand. Also makes fighter CAs, so there is that...
    Sage: makes mage and priest spells. Basically useless for a brigand.
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  5. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Isn't there a class that has "Pirate" as one of its titles? I'm thinking the swashie. That might make a good choice (you'd have to look at the AA trees - unfortunately, you can't see them until you're level 10, I think), because then you'd have the title to go with it. :)
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Dude like this.
  6. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Don't forget to do the Legend of Roger Goldie quest series (starts at the top of the cliffs in BB Mountains). Reward is a pirate hat with a parrot to perch on your shoulder.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have a Teir Dal Brigand and 2 Ratonga Swashbucklers. I love all of them. The Teir Dal is a woodworker. One of the Ratongas is a carpenter, the other is a jeweler. All of them roleplay a pirate. Someone mentioned that a carpenter is no use in the life of a pirate. I told them with the threat of me blade that I could make boats for me guild and patch up our ships.
  8. Orionza Active Member

If you make your character on the evil side (would be a brigand) there is a pirate-y faction on Freeport docks that sell fun pirate type items.

Also there's a rotting macaw this season for familiars. And don't forget to do the faction in phantom seas in the back near the water (forgot!! what it's called) there's a vendor there with pirate gear and a parrot fluff pet.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

When you get big enough to do Rum Cellar content, there's a merchant selling pirate clothing out on a pier just outside the Rim Cellar in Phantom Sea.
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  10. Carynn Well-Known Member

Be evil and do the Seafury Buckaneers city task quests. When you get enough status, you can buy sailor/pirate related titles. I have a giant necromancer mouse pirate, complete with appropriate title and parrot on the shoulder.
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.