on the fence of returning...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by MechwarriorX, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MechwarriorX Member

I really am missing the game, even with the lack of pvp...

that said how is the server population atm, and which server to rejoin as a noob?

I want a place with the best population if possible, I dont mind subbing for it either.
  2. Beast Member

I am on AB, but the highest pop servers would be Fallen Gate, Halls of Fate, and Maj'Dal. You can always look on the main EQ2 site and look at server pop as well. FG and Maj are progression servers , so not quite everything unlocked. HOF is a regular server as far as i know. I havent had issues finding people on AB, but that's not the popular opinion atm.
  3. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Maj'dul isn't a progression server (unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean @Beast) It's a regular live server. FG is the TLE server (so progression?). Maj'dul is supposed to be the most populated atm, followed by well I guess HoF and FG?.

Can try free to play for a bit on one of the live servers and make a decision, or can sub and try/play on FG. Welcome back, if you decide to dive in!

Edit to add : Wanted to also state, I play on AB and other servers, AB is suffering in comparison to the other live servers. Being able to get a group doesn't necessarily mean it isn't. Also, @OP this doesn't mean AB can't be a viable server for you to try as the game will be fun no matter which server you choose.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  4. Fistpower Well-Known Member

If you want to be able to group with people from level 12-13 Fallen Gate is most likely your only option.

If you like to solo quest for a long time (or do agnostic dungeons) and enjoy the entire lore right away of the EQ2 Norrath universe and raid the newest raids, you should prob consider Maj'Dul or Halls of Fate.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I had a former guildie friend contact me just last night, saying he was getting the itch to come back after taking a few break for a few years.

I easily talked him out of it, because of grindfest and the pay to win model of the past few expansions. He server hopped a few weeks before he quit, because the raiding guild he apped to pretty much folded a week or so after he moved from his original home server. He'd be stuck on a server where he knows no one and would quickly get bored with all the KA-related back flagging of old content quests.
    Dude likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Maj'Dul is the result of combining Lucan d'Lere, Crushbone, and something else that I can't recall at the moment. It's a regular PVE server, and currently has the largest EQ2 population.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  7. Evisca D'White Member

Hey, Sig, if you're on Maj'Dul and it swallowed up Crushbone, are the CRA raiding brigades still going? I raided with 3,6, and 12 a few years back and I wonder if any of the folks are still hanging out and doing their thing.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yep, and at least one brigade is actively advertising for raiders.
    Evisca D'White likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

That's idiocy. Every summer, fewer people log in usually (because of competition from Outside and Sunshine, I suspect). But as the school year starts, then again when the Novemberish expansion arrives, the population fills back up.IIt's been doing this annually for as long as the game has existed.

Nota bene, EQ1 is still going strong.
  10. Archon of Hate Active Member

Almost as idiotic as failing to read and apprehend the context of the posts that you, yourself, are referring to as "idiocy."
    Mizgamer62, Castegyre, Dude and 5 others like this.
  11. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

If you want to solo it's pretty good, otherwise only if you got deep pockets.
  12. evguenil New Member

There's not much to worry about as long as the game has enough players. In the summer game has less players for obvious seasonal reasons.
  13. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I usually tell people that if they want to play EQ2 to experience and older game and play through the content that it might be worth a shot. I almost always will recommend EQ over EQ2, though.

The obvious seasonal reasons being that EQ2 spends its weekends, holidays, and summers in opposite land to avoid the usual increase in players other games tend to have.

Ridiculous.
    Tekka, Kheldar and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Mermut Well-Known Member

I tried EQ when All Access first included it... Having never played it before, I couldn't even finish the first quest without talking to somebody in EQ2. It never even occurred to me to give an item to an NPC by pulling it out of my inventory and 'dropping it on them' with the mouse.
    I'm not saying EQ1 isn't without its merits.. I honestly don't know, since that first experience totally turned me off, but it's not hands down better or superior in all ways to EQ2
    Siren likes this.
  15. Castegyre Well-Known Member

EverQuest is an ancient game by today's standards. It's clunky and hard to figure out, but if people want an old-school experience there it is. It's bigger than EQ2, well, bigger than pretty much any MMO I've played. A large chunk of it can be explored solo or with a merc these days so for someone who wants a massive world to wander around in it's great. It is hard to wrap your head around at first, though. Even for some of us that played it when it was new it can take a bit of effort to get back in to.