Oligar of the Dead

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by slippery, Nov 14, 2012.

1. slippery Well-Known Member

Where is the Zones and Pop forum that this wouldn't get buried in?

Red text in chat windows would be amazing. It should always be object text, there is zero reason for it not to be.

Why exactly does a mob that mem wipes at the same time he is immune to damage, with an incredibly low death count before you wipe, have ae auto when he's going to one shot a bunch of people?

This fight shouldn't work like it does. The first mem wipe shouldn't happen immediately when the golems spawn, you should have a chance to actually prevent it considering the fact that he's going to be immune to damage...

He should not have AE auto. That's just silly.

The tombstones should be killable by the person who's grave it is.
    Wigg likes this.
  2. Atan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Slippery said above, but I wanted to point out there are a great many encounters in the new expansion that have red text that is not object text.
  3. slippery Well-Known Member

For reference I'm talking about challenge mode since I didn't specify
  4. slippery Well-Known Member

Just want to make sure this was seen since it looks like it got missed in the wasteland that is this forum. Though I probably missed Gninja for today
  5. slippery Well-Known Member

Have you had a chance to look at this?
  6. Gninja Developer

Looking at it now. I will get the red texts cleared up. Because you're right it does need to be echoed in chat. The mem wipes and ae auto are not going to be changing. I will add a very slight delay to his first mem wipe but you are supposed to have to deal with a little chaos while removing his ability to mem wipe. its part of the encounter. I would suggest using anti deaths :)

Also the tombstones are not going to be changing you will need to stay away from them till their timer is up and they despawn.
  7. slippery Well-Known Member

Let me know when you want the encounter to be killable. As long as he mem fully wipes the tanks hate, while immune to damage, and kills multiple people in a single swing because of ae auto (you do realize death prevents from most priests are single target on a 7.5 minute reuse right?) rapidly causing the mob to hit harder and become literally unkillable after a very short number of deaths, this encounter is unlikely to be killed.
  8. Gninja Developer

I understand your frustration because it is a difficult situation to deal with but he is meant to be a very challenging encounter in challenge mode. Removing what you are asking would make it no longer challenging and thus removing the need for challenge mode level loot.
  9. slippery Well-Known Member

There is a very narrow difference between challenging, dumb, and impossible.

This isn't challenging. There is nothing players can do about the fact that the mob mem wipes so completely the tanks can't do anything to get it back before it kills multiple people while ae auto'ing all over the raid and immune to damage (a problem made even worse when he is likely to run out of line of sight since the mob the raid is trying to kill is in a hole in the wall).

But feel free to tell me how I'm wrong and what abilities the players are supposed to use to mitigate these things.

I have a few completely absurd things to try tonight, but I find it unlikely to make any difference.
  10. Gninja Developer

Sorry, I am not going to tell you what abilities/strategy to use on the encounter. I do appreciate the feedback though, when constructive.
  11. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Hello there!

I'd just like to contribute with one little fact that should be kept in mind. The idea of a memwipe is to inspire tank activity in a fight, correct? Or to add a requirement for additional tanks in a fight? Hurdles are something you're intended to jump over, not trip over.

The memwipe mechanic on this fight has no purpose other than to add insurmountable difficulty to the fight. No other fight in the game functions like this.

No matter how good your tank is or your offtank, every single tank is wiped off the hate list. The ONLY way to mitigate this memwipe to a few deaths is to literally stand there and do nothing, saving everything you have for when the memwipe occurs. Even then, it's not "successful". It prevents enough deaths to delay the raid getting wiped out by the next memwipe.

That is what a complete memwipe and a death limit equates to.

There is a reason this mechanic has never been used (or stayed in use) in the history of raiding. Except maybe a few failure effects. It is not alright. It's not something us as players have the tools to deal with. Not without 24 position holy ground/devout sacrament/magnetic note, etc.

Retooling the memwipe is the only thing that needs to be done to bring this fight into balance. Wipe the top position, not all positions. At least then second position would be possible to snap the mob back after the damage immunity
  12. GrouchyMouse Active Member

Why not have a Coercer use Coercive Shout? When we've had mem wipe mobs, that's part of what I do in the MT group. Shout and Thoughtsnap have kept the mob looking at the tank with the evil eye.
  13. Hennyo Member

First off, I am sure any guild that seriously tried this mob, tried doing exactly that, thing is that is not enough to make up for 20+ positions of hate almost instantly.

Second, on the topic of "absurd ideas" to deal with this, I have a few to add myself.

Amnesia or illusionary allies times on wipe, and then pick it back up. Another one would be to have every non tank in raid on walk to slow the mobs charge towards the raid.

I worked on this mob myself for awhile, and it is one of two mobs I have seen so far this xpac with a mechanic that isn't just "challenging" to deal with, it is outright dumb and outrageous. Personally I like challenging, for example the dps check you added to the last mob in Sleepers.
  14. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Target locks like thought snap, peel, magnetic note and SK myth click haven't worked in forever. Everything is immune to it.

I would love for a fight to absolutely stomp us until we realized that these forgotten powers have some application in the modern world, but it's simply not the case.
  15. Gninja Developer

target locks, shouts, etc should work. If they don't please let me know. I did not add those immunities on this mob.
  16. Maergoth Well-Known Member

I can't say definitively since my class doesn't have any target locks, but our SK's myth click did not work. Will provide further feedback when we pull it tonight -- hell, I'll even fraps it for you :) Should be interesting to watch a guild pull your mob, heh.
  17. GrouchyMouse Active Member

I see Thought Snap work when I use it. I'm not arguing, not at all, just stating what I've seen happen.

I use Shout and Thought Snap on Malteor to move it from one tank to another. It works. I've seen Malteor look at the other tank but then get snapped around to the MT.
  18. Gninja Developer

Cool :) The me wipes are completely random they just shuffle everyone around on the hate list. That sometimes means the tank is near the bottom or it might just move it one position. Its random.

Like I said before if target locks or specific class abilities do not work on this guy let me know and I can check into it. Abilities that just give some positional hate might not work depending on how the hatelist got shuffled.
  19. GrouchyMouse Active Member

Okay, I'm not arguing or pointing blame. I'm just offering a suggestion. I also went with what Slippery stated, I did not see anything about using the Coercer's abilities and I did not want to assume.
  20. slippery Well-Known Member

Coercive Shout doesn't mean anything. Not only is it likely to miss the mob since it is running away from you, and the positions aren't enough to get you agro because of how the mem wipe works.

They most definitely don't work. Use Plant nothing happens.

Clearly players are dumb and don't try these things. Always the players fault they didn't think of it.