Old time player, new to healer.

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Elkana, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Elkana Active Member

I've played the game since launch, however I have never been a healing class. I've recently taken to playing a warden. I'm wondering if any of you top notch Wardens out there could help me understand some realistic targets for getting my auto attacks hitting hard, and also what are y'all doing besides for Ascensions for DPS? Or is it just Ascensions?
  2. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

hitting hard lol on a healer lol
    Don't get me wrong here , but don't expect a healer to top the parse any time soon.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Treiko Active Member

Nothing wrong with wanting to contribute to the group's overall damage. To do so effectively, you will want your auto attack stats up for sure, as auto attack is a much larger part of the parse these days. I don't think there is a cap on DPS mod, so if you have some spare ability mod that is a great stat to reforge for DPS mod, along with excess haste and casting speed, as these no longer overflow into flurry/spell DA. A slightly more difficult stat to raise is weapon damage bonus, since this is not an option to reforge into, so just look for it on gear (WDB and WDB overcap). Odds are you may need to look at some AA changes as well - there's a nice WDB boost in the prestige warden tree to the far right you may want to find a way to pick up. As for ascensions, I still don't fully know what all needs done... something to do with pages and other things for sages to make the upgrades? I never cared for ascensions so my knowledge on them is fuzzy at best. Just don't become one of those healers that prioritizes damage over healing. Know going into this that you will be cancelling plenty of ascension spells to cast a heal to save the group. Best of luck to you :)
    Raff and Mermut like this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I know sorry I have played just about every healer there is . Some healers are better than others and with enough AA you can do some nice damage.
    I guess my latest healer just gave me the idea that I can't hit harder than with a wet towel .
    I wanted to add some things you can do , but I wanted to let people like you Treiko do the explaining .
    I just wanted to make the point that , never having played a healer ,to not expect that your going to hit anywhere as hard as a scout or fighter .
    Also make sure to get all abilities upgraded , a Warden is one of the better classes of healers to do some damage.
    And if your still not happy , you can always betray , because a Fury does really good ( for a healer ).
    SORRY again for my stupid remark in my earlier post .
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Elkana Active Member

I appreciate the feedback / advice from both of you.
  6. Vunder Well-Known Member

Just a tip.

Ascensions are damage capped, don't rely on those to parse well. Only a few that don't have a dmg tooltip hit hard enough to worry about.

Also the casting second per damage second on them is dropping compared to new CA's. I can do far more damage spaming 3 Master CA's than casting 1 ascension at this point in heroics.

I do not know if they are capped in raids, but they do not hit very hard in heroics compared to CA's and I was told in discord they are capped for the most part.

Also a tip, if you decide to roll a melee priest (channeler/mystic/inquis/warden) there is a weapon damage bug that is on their radar to fix, so while these priests are doing amazing dps now....they will change.
  7. Ryonyx Member

I dont understand the concept behind healers ever starting / becoming such DPS and melee damager Madhouses.... Like when i play a freakin' Healer I just wanna heal / buff and if theres a LuLL in the battle i'd like a finger breather / time to just recoupe.... It really put me off EQ2 and healers period since that started happening so heavily. I guess the same goes with Tanking... Some people just wanna sit there and face tank, while others roll SK / Zerker to try and top the parses as well as be able to tank and hold mobs.... But like with Tanks I think they kept Guardian as really just a Tank whereas i think all healers have been converted to do a lot of debuffing/attacking/stacking etc.... Maybe Templar is the opposite to Guardian, but I hate the slow cast / game play of Temp's. I love Wardens HoTs / Group healing capabilities so when I play a Warden and then eventually am EXPECTED to DPS as well or i'll be replace is just stupid. The Change that started happening around lvl 80 or 90 level cap IIRC. it was just frustrating. Maybe give us the ability to be better / stronger healers and not just SPEC INTO MELEE / DPS.... Or make encounters harder for us PURE Healers that want a challenge... I just dont get the strategy behind their development.
  8. Ghorast Active Member

Are you new to the game or what? What always differentiated EQ2 healers from healers from other mmorpg's was their ability to deal decentish damage WHILE doing their primary job of healing. That's the main reason what still keeps me playing this game despite its many many faults, healers can actually have fun and not just be brainless healbots like in pretty much every other mmorpg.
    Raff, Dude and Mermut like this.
  9. Ryonyx Member

You don't like healbotting? I love it heh...
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

Healers that can't or won't add at least some dmg to a group or raid AND still keep everyone alive are just lazy.
    Blazen likes this.
  11. Raff Well-Known Member

Agree. Also, end game heroics & raids have several bosses that are dps checks. While our healers may only add 2-10% overall dmg / encounter? Every added bit of dps counts.
    Tangris and Snikkety like this.
  12. Nechem New Member

From launch until 2015ish my main was an Inqy. We were doing allo of the high end raids back then and I could solo heal MT group and enjoyed doing it.... didn't have time to think about dps at that point. The started putting me in MA group with scouts to use my buffs and I was then able to spec for doing damage while healing. I have played my Inqy both ways and enjoyed him. I am coming back to the game now, I have two teenagers that played toons on my account years ago that wanted to make their own accounts and transfer characters, and so much has changed I am not sure what I am doing right now lol.
    Tangris likes this.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of changes in the game in the last few years. Finding a good guild will really help you and your kiddoes shorten that learning curve.
    Tangris likes this.