Okay, forgive me if I'm rezzing a dead horse so I can beat it...

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, May 19, 2020.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

But I'm sure there are helpful handy hints here about how to successfully "upgrade" from, say, a 4-room New Halas place to a 6-room New Halas place, without losing one's hair due to yanking it all out, amid other signs of extreme frustration...I'm just not finding them. I do know the layouts are slightly different here and there, but I don't think they're quite as different, as, say, a 2-room New Halas and a 4-room? :-/

I know that they're kind of mirror-image to each other as far as the main floor rooms off to the sides go, the ones leading directly from the initial main entry room, and that there's stairs going down to the basement (obvs) that aren't in the 4-room (also obvs), so I guess I'll have to shift those items over from the northern room, if they're near where that gap would be.

Other than that, would it be a "simple" matter to just load the 4-room New Halas layout into a 6-room New Halas? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Very simple matter to load the layout file - what the game does with it however is a whole different ballgame :)

You'll definitely need to fix the header lines of the 4 room file to those for a 6 room, and what happens after that depends on how closely the 2 sets of zone co-ordinates resemble each other. Just 'cos they look the same doesn't mean they use the same numbers. I'm sure even if they're different you can use the layout editor to adjust things, but I'm no expert on that as I don't use it.

At the end of the day you have nothing to lose by trying as long as you keep safe copies of all the files you play with. You can pack house contents endlessly to try again or even move everything back to the 4 room and reload that if you find the big move too stressful. :D
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Yep, that's a thought; I have one saved under the toon's name and 4NH, I could do it under 6NH. ;->

Guess it doesn't matter what happens, as long as there's back-up! :D

I'll give it a shot. :)

Uwk
    who still remembers when we had to scrimp and save for eons to be able to buy a silly li'l ground-mount horse; the thought of moving up to something costing GOLD is still a wee bit daunting ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

And a back-up of the back-up! Back-ups are your friend :cool:
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I thought I had done a video about this but I had not. But it did get my butt in gear and add a link to my Helpful Tips thread on the Decorator's Resource stickied thread (second post under How To) and to see I had a link to someone else's instructions. Link is called House Copy
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! It helps a lot! :)

Now if I can only find INTERIOR layouts of the player housing...not sure where that original dude had gotten it from, unless he'd downloaded EQ2Maps and installed it, 'cause I'm certainly not finding any "blueprint" equivalent on the website? :-/

EDIT: And after comparing/contrasting my current 4-room with my potential 6-room, one thing I've noticed is that with the 6-room, it may very well have just about the same "square footage" but with more rooms: there's only one "side room" just off the entry room (to the south); the other, northern, wall is taken up with the stairs and the Cupboard Under the Stairs, as well as stairs down to the basement. The side room that does exist has the ceiling lower by about 5-10 units, which would spell disaster for all the stuff I have in my current south side room in my 4-room place. :-/

I will say, the upper main room on the second floor is considerably bigger than the one in the 4-room, but it's on the completely opposite side; it's being directly over the south side room of the first floor could be why that other's so short in the ceiling (in the 4-room, there's nothing over that south ceiling, as far as I know; haven't tried breaking out there). And since there are an additional two more rooms on the second floor, as well as the basement, that could be why (along with the outside porch) it could be considered to have more total "square feet," I guess. But it's a little surprising to compare and contrast the two and realize they are so very different, and not just with the addition of an outside access. :-/

Uwk
    who may still keep both, and just turn the 6-room into something else... ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I have been asked to do a video of moving entire rooms or houses to a new spot in a complete different house (or guild hall). I still haven't had time to do this since coming back. I do hope I can start doing these special requests that have piled up on me. I do have something that I need to move from one house to another house with a completely different layout that I can do video of but I need my new headset first. What I have to move is something for a project I am currently working on but I have to explain what I am doing so voice recording will be important. Will have to do a few videos about this sort of thing because there are many situations people have asked me to help them with. Move just a group of items to new location, one room into a new room, entire house to new location, etc. With my hubby working from home and having so many dang meeting, videoing can get tricky. Crosses fingers I can get to some of these requests some day "soon".
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and Katz like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck! :D

Looking forward to it! :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.