Ok, so where have all the writers gone??

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-MysidiaDrakkenbane, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-MysidiaDrakkenbane Guest

Hello?? Anyone here?? (echoes)

Where did everyone go?
  2. ARCHIVED-StormQueen Guest

I'm still at it.
  3. ARCHIVED-DukeOccam Guest

Yeah, these forums have so much good stuff in them, but sadly a lot of the stories are unfinished or abandoned. I'd say "Trial of Life" is the only active story, and for that alone I have to thank Leeroy (never mind the fact that it's actually good ).

I know if I ever finish mine I'll post it here (not before it's done though; I'd rather have nothing posted than just add another unfinished story). I've spent many an hour over the last few years reading here.
  4. ARCHIVED-StormQueen Guest

I thank ye for the kind words, DukeOccam. Knowing that folks still have an interest in my scribblings makes it more enjoyable to continue to write.
  5. ARCHIVED-Sordia Guest

Mysidia! *waves* How the hell have you been? Ummm....not writing enough at the moment. But I did write something cool for Frostfell last year. Its here. *points down* but other then that I've had writer's block.

Sordia/Sinead of Xev and EQ1
    aka now Jystana aka Jysty
  6. ARCHIVED-Amnerys Guest

What do you guys think about the idea of posting some writing challenges on occasion?
    To confess my geekiest of geek moments, I used to run a fan fiction writing challenge group, where weekly I'd post some kind of challenge, and the group members would have a few days to meet the challenge and post their stories.
    Some challenge examples included:
    • your character goes on a grand adventure
    • your character twists their ankle
    • your character plays a game
    • your character goes to the local pub
    • try writing all in dialogue
    • use the assigned theme: for example, weather, a location, etc.
    • write a Norrathian homage to your favorite book, movie or tv show
    • write a sequel to a challenge story you've submitted before
    The possibilities are endless, and we took suggestions from members of the group. We made each story have a limit of maximum 2000 words, so it wouldn't take weeks to do. They submitted weekly, actually. It was an active group. That would be a bit much for us now probably, but maybe once a month would work.
    I'm talking with Zatozia about what we could do for an in-game prize. Maybe a add your story to a book on all servers?
    What do you think?
  7. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Here is an idea as well a, a Meta-Story arc that has specific events in it and each looks at all or even only some of the events from their character's perception while going about their own business?

Example: A Hurricane strikes Karan at some point Gnolls might have to evacuate Blackburrow, Orcs use the storm as cover for a beachhead near the North Beach and lightning strikes the Clockwork Clock ect ect but on a schedule.
  8. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Amnerys wrote:
    Have been acquiring player written books for a while now and work on transcription projects as time allows, always building the library. Would love to see something like this.
  9. ARCHIVED-Maurna Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    Seconded! I think it would be a great way to promote another aspect of the EQ2 creative player side. We've got paintings and decorated homes...
    Not only would I like to see a story contest but also a songs/poems... We have a lot of seriously talented bardic type people on AB and LDL, there has to be some on the other servers too :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I'd defionately give that a whirl. I've had some ideas for this section I'm just a lil gunshy I suppose.
  11. ARCHIVED-MysidiaDrakkenbane Guest

I'm doing well, busy, but well.
    I'm a mother of 3, now. My son will be 3 tomorrow, got a daughter that will be 2 in March, and my youngest will be 1 in March. Yes, I have "Irish Triplets".
    I write when I can, which isn't much at all. A sentence here, a paragraph there...few and far between with each. I still want to put some sort of completion to Mysidia's story, just have to find the time to do it.
    The writing challenges look like a neat idea. I'd be willing to do some of them.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kassabba Guest

Hello Mysidia.
    Where have I gone?
    I have a book that is sloooooooowly making its way through the publishing gauntlet, which is enough to make you insane and Sony hasnt really done anything colosally stupid enough for me to drag Larry out and harpoon them for it. I ocasionaly read through here though. I like the idea of a 'quick fire' challenge though, If you decide to do something I will get into it.
  13. ARCHIVED-MysidiaDrakkenbane Guest

Amnerys wrote:
    So, are you going to be setting the challenges, or one of us?
    Also, do "Red" names read the stories we write? (I"ve always been curious about this.)
  14. ARCHIVED-Rayne Singer Guest

She sighed at the mundane task put to her, looking around, no one to talk to. Oh, there were others. One here, another there, doing tasks same as she. But no one talked any more. Mindless, that's what this is. We are all out here doing the same thing as if completeling the task is the only thing that matters. What is the hurry? Where is it that we are all trying to get to? She knew the answer. To the highest level of course, that's where everyone else is. Another sigh. But it's so far away and I would need to pass up so much along the way just to get there quickly..just like everyone else. Then what will I do when I get there? More mindless quests. Is killing the only objective they can come up with after how many years? Level after level. Kill this. Kill that. Kill, kill, kill. And no time to talk to anyone, too busy killing, too busy getting that mythical weapon, to busy getting the best gear so we can kill bigger things. I remember the first time I saw a dragon. It was in Antonica and he only showed himself about once a week..at least as far as I knew. He wasn't really a dragon either. Not compared to the ones that have come to be since. He was more of a drake. But that was the excitement of the day..to build a raid force and defeat him. They would come from all over Norrath to form that raid. That reminds me of the times we would stand on the docks of Nektulos forest gathering forces to take on the demons in Cauldron's Hollow or in Qeynos Harbor the crowds that would gather hoping to get into the raids heading out to defeat Leviathan or Veniril Sathir or the dragons of Veeshan's Peak. I'm weary of dragon slaying. I'm not even sure why we did it anymore, if there really was a valid reason other than just to slay a dragon. I miss the days when we would run in groups. Sure the tasks were still mindless, but we talked to each other..we had time.
    Really, is there anything to write about still?