Ok, not joking - considering betraying. Questions on it.

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Gasisna Guest

CapnJax21 wrote:
    Maybe i missed the memo, I was hoping the CU would bring about improved ammo usage and the NGE would enhance the need of ammo for stats only. Maybe that was a dream I had. Sometimes reality and fantasy bleed into one another. We will have to wait and see if any changes are implemented to make the game more "iconic" and feel more "everquesty".
  2. ARCHIVED-CapnJax21 Guest

I'm hoping for more particle effects and the removal of 15 classes (ranger being one of them).
  3. ARCHIVED-Gasisna Guest

Oh oh and the addition of shiney trinkets as a reward for hard work.
    Lol both of us being SWG alumni we could keep this going all day.
  4. ARCHIVED-CapnJax21 Guest

I made a medic in the NGE. Loved it when I would use my Heal Bomb and would lag out the entire zone. Medic crosses all over the screen for everyone FTW!
    Oh, you have pets? Not anymore. Oh, you can still have them in your datapad, but forget about letting them out. Enjoy!
  5. ARCHIVED-CapnJax21 Guest

Gasisna wrote:
    I could, but I feel like feces everytime I write something about it. Sad pandas. That was the most immersive MMO i've ever played.
  6. ARCHIVED-Gisallo Guest

voxranger wrote:
    I agree it was nice to see a developer respond, though one could argue whether a response with no substance is simply counter productive.
    As for where the ranger is going, I hate to say it, but NO where. Why. Our own developer has said so. He has said and I quote "you guys are doing fine" and "while we may do something about arrow mechanics don't expect any big fix, it'll be more like a lateral shift" in so far as Rangers are concerned. Thats from our dev the guy who's "area" this is. So basically as far as our dev's concerned we have no problems and even if they fix the arrow mechanic issue they will nerf something else related to us to keep us in what he sees as a good position.
    I would agree with you that singleing out our developer is counter productive if I had not gone through posts from before I started posting on any mechanics related forum and seen just how arrogant and unresponsive. One gives respect to those who show it. I have seen perfectly reasonable, logical and polite posts dismissed and insulted out of hand by our developer. Does that deserve respect in return?
  7. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Its nice to see a dev respond. However, sony really needs to prioritize alittle better. This has been a known issue for 6 moths now, rolling on 7. And for someone to be waiting that long just isent fair. What did it for me was nerfing the epic. At the start of the game near the first year I remember CLEARLY sony deciding to change hitbox's of giants so rangers wouldent have to be so far back. When sony nerfed our epic with the current hitbox issue with dragons/other large mobs. It made me go "wait dident they fix this. Why did they make it harder on my class?" That for me was the last straw. Currently my account expires on march 7th. If my issues are solved i'll jump back quickly. If they arent, i'll keep playing WoW for awhile.
  8. ARCHIVED-voxranger Guest

Gisallo@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I agree. I have already made the decision to relegate my ranger into harvesting mode. I still bring him out for instance runs and pvp, but only to help guildies - hes just not that much fun to play atm and I am tired of sinking 15-20P per week into consumables for a character that just isnt that fun to play anymore. Now, I'm power leveling an alt to 80 asap so can better enjoy the t8 content and pvp.
  9. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Thanks for the response, it is appreciated.
    As others have already said though, the fantastically frustrating part is that the person who IS in charge of this area continues to post that we are 'fine' and shows absolutely no real desire to fix an issue that is truly, truly gamebreaking. After months and months of posts on this topic, detailed, very well reasoned posts, to have the only response be 'oh, yeah, that's broken, but meh' is maddening. To have our epic nerfed after less than a day after the discovery, after epics were delayed for months, by the same man who has shown absolutely no desire to fix our issues, and on top of that to have the nerf remove the one and only reason any ranger would ever use the fabled version over a T7 bow is insane. It was the very last straw, and I cancelled.
    I appreciate that this issue is not one that can be easily fixed. I appreciate that it will take time. But we have no guarantee that any real fix is actually coming (and not some half-arsed 'lateral shift' as was hinted at), and meantime SOE is asking us to continue to give them money. It's not just arrows. Rangers need a serious overhaul to be a valid class able to compete with the others. There are so many problems with this class, BIG issues, that need to be addressed and that are continuously ignored that I'm at the last end of my rope for hoping that any of them will ever be addressed.
    Why am I still posting? Because I don't want to quit. I would love to resubscribe. I like your game. But I'm no longer willing to give SOE more money for the sake of 'maybe, someday'.
  10. ARCHIVED-Magius789 Guest

This thread makes me sad. I log into my ranger now to try and get to 80 but its not fun anymore. I feel like I'm going through the motions but with no real enjoyment out of it. How sad is it that devs that aren't even responsible for us are feeling the need to post and tell us that they are reading it. It doesn't matter who reads it because our own developer said he doesn't care and other developers aren't going to go to him in his little cube and say "whats up?".
    Simple fact is he plays an assassin, he is tired of being beaten by rangers in PvE or PvP and has decided to buff his class and nerf the one that he hates. I only speculate on this based upon the actual responses we have gotten from him to posts that have been well organized, well thoughout, and with no disrespect towards him. The only enjoyment 90% of us who have lvled up to end game are going to get is to either betray to an assassin or leave and play a game where their ranger class is more in line with what we are looking for.
  11. ARCHIVED-Stile1966 Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    I appreciate that someone, even one whose area it isn't, has taken the time to respond. Please don't take anything said as disrespectful to you or your action.

That said, what rangers want to see is not a response that SOE devs are reading the forums- we want to see some actions taken, and while fixing arrow mechanics and the fact that all those lovely raid buffs that other classes throw up don't help rangers would be great, at this point we might be momentarily distracted by an opportunity to play dunk the dev (apparently along with swashys and a few other classes joining in to toss a few balls at the target- I might even cash in some frequent flyer miles and contribute to the rental of the dunk tank if it could happen).

I still think that what needs to happen most of all is an irc chat or some other mechanism to let concerned, knowledgeable, PAYING customers to present our data on why we feel we are broken as a class (you want ACT charts, we got ACT charts!) and for responsible devs and management to explain to us any of:

A) Why the fact that a pure DPS class with no substantial raid-wide buffs or debuffs should not be T1 dps compared to similarly geared toons of other classes that do have raid-wide impacting buffs (hate transfer may only be within a group, but to say the least, it affects the entire raid).

B) That the vision of the devs is to give rangers some raid-wide buffs/debuffs to make up for the fact that they are no longer T1 dps compared to similarly geared toons of other classes (lateral shifts FTW/FTL, depending on your point of view).

C) That the devs no longer believe that rangers should be a raid-viable class (except in the instance of SOMEONE having to pick the slow kid to fill that last spot) because they solo just fine and that is how the game is going to be, suck it up.

D) How we should just wait for the next expansion, because the level cap will go up to 90, lvl 77 arrows will fix our lvl 80 bows (while continuing to shaft our lvl 90 bows and just drawing out complaints that have existed since the day of KoS release).

E) Wow, I hope there is an E better then it is time to go pay money to another company, which is where I am at now.

I don't expect you to be able to do any of this, Rothgar, but the ranger community needs an advocate, and we all know who we would not choose to be that advocate at this time. Is there anyone in the EQ2 team that is willing to step up to the batter's box? If someone, any one, would present the idea of a having a community IRC chat or two (with devs and community leaders happily on the mute buttons to shut down those that just want to flame and not meaningfully contribute) or whatever mechanism is appropriate from SOE's side, it would be great. Communication, well managed, is the only way of helping this issue, short of actual solutions that are obviously not ready to go. What is happening on these forums is not meaningful communication with the people who enable SOE managers to pay everyone's salaries.

For me, I have 10 days until my renewal occurs. I have been doing it 6 months at a time since I signed up for the game. Today, I go month by month so if I forget to cancel before the renewal happens, at least I can sever my ties here a little more efficiently as this situation with rangers* continues to meander aimlessly.

*Yes, I do completely understand that the ammo situation is one that affects all classes that use ammo, it just affects the ranger community a lot more.
  12. ARCHIVED-voxranger Guest

Concerns affecting ranger play over the past year or so have been, for the most part, presented thoughtfully and with sensitivity to to complexity of the issue, and have already been backed up by actual data. SOE, im sure, has much more robust data to analyze than ACT can provide. Yet, i can't help but think that the data sets can't diverge that much, and anything beyond global factors affecting game play are really just splitting hairs anyway.
    The reality is, things are the way they are right now, because SOE intends them to be. Even the arrow fixe really isnt that complex. Yes the arrow affect all classes that use arrows, but if SOE can install abilities that are not allowable in a pvp environment, why can't they also design certian arrow mechanics that apply only to rangers? This is just one example of a solution, and while i don't claim to be able to write code, I also think that if the same kind of tactic can be applied in one dimension of the game and done so quickly, why can't it be applied in another?
    Personally, i wish folks would quit laying the problem on the shoulders of our developer by citing his personal character choice of assasin as the reason for his apathy toward our class. This is childish thinking and only serves discredit our legitimate concerns.
    Also, I understand some of you may find his repsonses less than amiable, and your thougths and feelings in this regard are totally legitimate. However, to respond with an aggressive, venemous tone, once again, only serves to further descredit our position as a community.
    I am not saying your shoudnt express your anger, your frustration, or any other feelings you may have good or bad, I am saying that it will be far more productive to do so maturely and professionally.
    Things are the way they are because it is SOE's intention to have them that way. The issues are clear and everyone knows what they are. So, we have some choices: (1) suck it up and adjust to the ranger as is, (2) put your ranger on the shelf and play a different class, or (3) cancel your account. In terms of canceling your account, i think its totally acceptable that you articulate this, however, if you are one of those who is constantly threatening to do so, and you do not, then again, it discredits the concerns of our community. So if your gonna cancel, then by all means let SOE know (professionally) and then actually do it (an without the obiligatory "hater" thread please).
    I think what gets people so frustrated is that this is truly a wonderful game, the best there is of its kind in my opinion, so they don't really want to leave, yet folks also feel resentment toward a company that appears to be so unrepsonsive to the needs of its customers. If it were nickel and dime stuff, I (and think most of us) would understand the company can't respond to everyone's pet issue or play style bias, but the ranger issues are significant, they are large, and they are understood by ranger players, by non-ranger players, and by SOE, and they are important enough to severely damage the game experience of those folks who are shelling out money to play.
    I love this game, and I'm not going to cancel. I'm going to play my level 80 ranger on a very limitd basis, mostly for harvesting and guildie help, and I'm gonna try a different class. Lastly, I'm not going to give up on expressing my concerns, because to do so would imply I have accepted the quality of my playing experience with my ranger, which I do not believe is acceptable.
    Everyone on both sides knows what the issues are. Everyone who expressed concerns about the immediate nerfing of our epic had good reasons to do so and should continue to do so in the future. Please let SOE know if your going to cancel and why your going to do it, but if your going to do it, do it, and for the benifet of all, please do so professionally.
    We have every right to feel exasperated at this point. Hopefully, SOE will respond with measures other an the lip service, cosmetic cover-ups, and stealth nerfs that has been the pattern of late.
    P.S. sorry for typos, spelling, and grammar ;)
  13. ARCHIVED-MacDaddy62 Guest

I think at this point you at least have to acknowledge the possibility that our combat dev is biased. Whether or not he realizes it is another issue. To not acknowledge this possibility in light of the evidence is to be naive, imo.
  14. ARCHIVED-Beldin_ Guest

voxranger wrote:
    I am able to write some code, and the arrow fix would be just somethung like :
    If Arrow_level < Bow_Level -13 then reduce damage for ((Bow_Level-13) - Arrow_level) * 3 or whatever
    So a 80 Bow would have full damage even if the highest arrows are still 67.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lolianna Guest

I, too, thank Rothgar for responding. I also think it's a day late and a dollar short. The ranger time bomb has been ticking for way too long now. Trying to defuse it after the explosion is just an act of futility, but, ty for trying. Coming here to wave hello and say we're reading your forums is about as helpful as throwing baking soda into a wildfire and hoping it will go out.
  16. ARCHIVED-voxranger Guest

Azleya@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I suppose it is possible that our developer invests more time and energy into developing the class that he personally has the most fun playing.
    My point was that I highly doubt he gets up every morning and says to himself, :OK, how can I screw rangers today....", which is both silly and far too often implied, and which is absolutely going to reduce the credibility of our arguments in ability to stimulate SOE into a response patter to fix the issues.
  17. ARCHIVED-Valalor Guest

I agree and disagree with everyone in here.. There are issues and they need to be fixed. Its awsome devs come in and read, but would be nice if our own dev came in and said something.. its great that all rangers are voicing out and everthing. I've looked at the other class threads and there are no classes out there complaining about the mechanics of their class.. This is the only one that seems to have issues... I havent tried any other classes yet. And I think thats the best choice. but stop threating to cancle your subscription and not doing it... But in my own opionon I think a pitition is what we need.. Start a thread stating the issue of the ranger class (Profesionaly), no flaming and hate messages... then anyone that agrees of the issue and demands it to be fixed go in and sign it, just type your name in the message and thats it.. no comments, no complaining, no threats to cancle. just type your name and hit submit... Dont put the title as considering betraying or wtf ranger or whatever.. Need to gain the attention of the dev but needs to point out the issue and be profesional..... Lets see how something like that works..

And just wondering, why does our own dev play assassin? doesnt that kind of say Ranger class sucks so i'm going to play something else?
  18. ARCHIVED-voxranger Guest

Nizaaf@Mistmoore wrote:
    Best Idea so far. Be nice to have an opening thread similar to the excellent one at eq2 flames that clearly and professionally lays out the issues and requested fixes, and has a clearly articulated disclaimer right from the get go that hater/silly threads will no be tolerated.
    Then simply have folks include a thread that says nothing more than "agree" or includes additional changes they would like to see implimented.
    Perhaps if we get enough people to respond professionally and keep the other garbage out, SOE will take us seriously.
  19. ARCHIVED-lilmohi Guest

I could be wrong but i believe petitions are against the forum rules.
  20. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

Meerah@Permafrost wrote:
    So unless they're going to fix it, do nothing at all is what you're saying? Gotcha.