OK are we a dot class?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-SaintJeremy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-SaintJeremy Guest

are we a dot class. i went to a lot of trouble to try and find a definitive answer to this before 20 and every single person i spoke to told me we are not. we are a nuke class that happens to use poison instead of fire and ice. so far that has been true. but i did not sign up to be a dot class. truth be told i pasionately hate dot classes ever since playing them in eq1 (in any expert level group they were dead weight unless they also slowed or did something else critical), and since mobs in this game die SOOOO much faster dot classes would be that much more useless.

i just hit 37 and i have a nuke that is just plain broken. nil distortion is instantly killing some blue and white con solo mobs, and this is wrong. but from what i understand, nil distortion is literally my last functinal single target nuke. now all i get is sub par aoe's and dots!

i am sure developers see messages from disgruntled players all the time, so i wont waste anyone else's time with "rarr ill quit" or huffing and puffing about warlocks dont work right.

instead i propose that us warlocks get to respec away into a different class. i am sure there are lots of people who like warlock and more power to them. but for the people like me who feel strongly about this (and hey, maybe i am the only one) let us turn into wizards. id trade devastation for ice comet anyday, and like i said, I DID NOT SIGN UP TO BE A DOT CLASS. there is absolutely no way i will ever play a dot class again!

ok with that out of the way there are two minor balance suggustions i would make.

dark distortion: this spell and it's counterpart BSS do a little too much damage. not a lot too much, but a little. they should be dropped about 15 percent.

Nil distortion: this spell does way too much damage at the level you get it. i instantly kill solo mobs with it. that is crazy. since it is our last nuke i understand that any balance work with it needs to be carefully tweaked. i would reccomend fixing our other nukes and spells so the warlock does not have to be so reliant and based off of this thing.

there are lots of warlock spells that are of dubvious or no value (i have master dark emanations, and it does about as much as a level 17 spell at 37).

once more, i respectfully request that warlock either be updated (ie fix all the non-functional spells), or just let me turn into a wizard. eat all my spells and all my gear if you have to. ill buy more.

i very much like EQ2. i think it is unfortunate that it is becoming more and more casual, but i still enjoy it a lot. OH, i want AA's. it would be a large mistake to let people hit 50 and have no use for xp, but i am also certain soe knows that.

thanks again for a great game and you indulgance concerning my issue.

yt
    jeremy
  2. ARCHIVED-Eadric Guest

Wizards actually have more DoTs than Warlocks do. Yes, there are some scaling problems with spells in this game. Though I am not sure making us do less damage is the key. Unless some other archetypes will likewise be lowered in damage. Mages have the worst defense in the game and that is sacrificed for the best offense in the game.
  3. ARCHIVED-Sac_joker Guest

I agree, our powerful damage output is mainly there to make up for the fact that we have such low defense. And I don't understand why we would want our damage output reduced? Wouldn't doing that almost remove the need for us in a group period...then we would be dead DoT dealer weigth.
    Lowering our damage would bring up the question why have a sub-par dps mage when u can get a monk or ranger that can take more hit or avoid getting hit period?
    Answer: They would need us.
    Lowering out damage would only serve one purpose...NERF.
    Our class is fine as it is...the only thing they could do is fix some of the broken spells, but currently I have not seen enough complaints to make changes.
  4. ARCHIVED-Raxe Slade Guest

Uh, our AOE is insane.

Devastation is absolutly incredible.
  5. ARCHIVED-Renshiren Guest

Reduce our damage??

Sorry man you are crazy. We just got it up.

I know a 32 scout Brigade (spelling) who hits in the 1k range. So reduce our damage I hope not.

Kathuk
  6. ARCHIVED-Stradeus Guest

o_O
    This dosent make any sens at all.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ingrata Guest

I suggest you roll another mage and go warlock.
  8. ARCHIVED-BaronVonPitviper Guest

I wonder if we are playing the same game. I don't see any of the issues you are complaining about.
  9. ARCHIVED-Tevilspek Guest

Yeah, I'm still trying to sort that one. So we do too much damage, so it should be reduced, but instead of having DoTs we should get to do more damage like a Wiz?
    I guess I missed something in there somewhere.
    Personally I really like our setup. Some good mana-battery action, some nice nukes (yeah, 2k, 900, 800, 700, 300 straight after each other makes us pale next to a Wizard? That is like 4.5k damage in under 20sec or something... That's at level 47 too) plus several good servicable AoEs and some great DoTs...
    But I'm sure I could find something to complain about... If I really had to.. or wanted to..?
    I honestly see so little difference between Wizards and Warlocks. A bigger nuker here, a larger DoT there, so f'n what. Hell, just make it easier and give us all the same spells and merge the two classes in a Wizlock, ok? Repec to be a Wizard... *sigh*.

Besides, Devastion Adept III... conservatively hits for 600.. + 400 + 400 + 400 + 400 (1.5sec per tick, 6sec duration) 2200dam x 5 encounters = 11,000 damage. With the 'high end' hunting I am doing now, a 10k AoE over the groups we take on etc.. oh my god wow, PLUS a stun on termination...
    Freakin' keep ye Ice Commet! :smileyvery-happy:

But then if all you think about is raiding, well *shrug*...

What we talkin' bout again?
  10. ARCHIVED-Raminicus Guest

Original Poster, I don't think you understand exactly what role warlocks play in the current game. Any patch may change our role a bit or a lot, but currently we're the most sought after DPS class in just about any group.
    You say you don't want a DoT class because in EQ1 they were dead weight in a group situation. Well, Warlock is a mix of a lot of things, I wouldn't exactly call it a DoT class. And, as stated earlier, it's one of the most wanted classes. Go LFG for a few minutes. You'll get tells from people in various zones asking you to help (depending of course on your server's population and the time of day you go LFG).
    I just don't understand your reasoning though. You don't want a DoT class because in OTHER games you can't get groups. But warlocks get groups whenever they want. Where exactly is your problem? This obviously isn't other games.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sac_joker Guest

I totally agree with Ram:
    "Go LFG for a few minutes. You'll get tells from people in various zones asking you to help (depending of course on your server's population and the time of day you go LFG)."
    I can agree with this statement alone, I am only 26 now, but when I was 24 I logged into the game in TS put my LFG tag and within two mins (no joke on Monday at 4:30pm PST) I received 6 tells and three blind invites asking if I wanted to group (went from 24 to 26 in about 2.5 to 3 hrs). I have made so many friends just by grouping and since there are still a lot of new comers to the game (myself included - my first EQ game ever) many people have not yet seen real damage...I haven't seen real damage yet.
    People add me to their friends list with statement like "Can I look you up when I build a group again?" or "I'll play with you any day, we cut through mobs like warm butter, thanks for grouping with us"...this cannot be something a mediocre DoT Dealer would hear, is it? The hardest thing I find at my level is finding a Tank that can hold hate...
    Freezing Whorl (adept3), Ice Spike (adept3), Curse of Darkness (cause the snake & skull look cool), DD (adept3) = hate snatcher at Lvl26. I can't wait til I get higher.
    Looking forward to Steal Breath...Adept3 waiting in the Bank.
    :smileyvery-happy:
  12. ARCHIVED-SaintJeremy Guest

first, thank-you for all the replies i have recieved. your input is appreciated, as is the time it takes to present it.
    maybe i can illustrate my point better with a question. what are the level and name of damage spells (DD or DoT) that warlocks get past level 37 that are worth casting? you understand what i mean, spells that have good dps, do a lot of damage? i know there is devastation, and as dots go it is strong. do we ever get another functional DD spell?
    as for the reducing our damage, i think that a little clarification is in order. i do not believe that warlock should go through some massive nerfing process. i just think that there are two spells which do too much damage. with dark distortion, considering that there are no other useful spells in the 20s i can understand that people would be concerned about messing with it. but nil distortion does crazy damage for the level you get it at. i really do instantly kill blue and white con solo mobs with it. i am not saying massively reduce it's power, just scale it down a little. the reality is that often the actual damage a spell does is secondary, especially when soloing. what matters is how many nukes it takes to kill a mob. when that number hits 1 then there is a problem.
    once more, thanks for your feedback,
  13. ARCHIVED-Ziffnabb Guest

I'm currious what kind of Nil Distortion your using at 44 I have yet to kill a white or blue con mob in a single shot with it. I have had some come pretty darn close but with an adept 3 version havn't one shoted anything that wasnt' a green solo an that in it's self is rare. With the up comming loss of our parry skill personally i believe that we might even be due a damage increase or at least a fix to the existing 40+ spells. I currently have at least adept 1's in every spell 40-44 and as of yet i don't have one DD spell that i use out of that lot because all of the upgrades are broken. Currently the only 40+ spells i'm using are chaotic melstrom, our debuff ( can't think of the name off hand) and our upgrade to flashfreeze tho the only reason i'm using it is the mobs i'm fighting now are too high for flashfreeze. I personally believe that other then our level 50 spells there is next to nothing that is working as intended as was pointed out in another thread we have spells that we get as sorcerers that the upgrades at 40+ even when you get to 50 still do less damage then the prior versions did 30+ levels before.
  14. ARCHIVED-BaronVonPitviper Guest

The only exp mobs that I know of that Nil Distortion can kill in one shot are the arrow down lizzies in Feerrott.
  15. ARCHIVED-TheLout Guest

At level 37, My adept 3 Nil Distortion can 1 hit kill Lamia Charmers in EL, and they are blue, no arrows.
  16. ARCHIVED-SaintJeremy Guest

the lamia charmers in EL were the first things i instantly killed. the fights with them either took 2 seconds or 58 seconds. they die instantly or the chain silence me while doing many and various useless debuffs and drains to me until they run out of power. then i finish them.

the lizardmen in feerot were the other good example, and not only the down arrow ones. there are several small groups of lizardmen off to the right as you go down the first path out of the tunnel, and i can one shot at least one of thier types as well.

anyways those are the two things i can one shot kill so far. i have already /bugged both assuming that thier HP were a little on the low side.
  17. ARCHIVED-BaronVonPitviper Guest

I've seen a Fury in my guild melee those lizards down, and I'm sure bruisers could probably kill them in 10 seconds. Two mob types that have very low hps and you are calling for a decrease in our main DPS spell? I think those two mobs have other strengths that make the encounter what it is. Lizards come in packs of 2-6 and the **** Lamias you talk of have caster skills. Undertow puppets in RV used to be able to kick my butt real good if they get some lucky spells in. That is the flavor of the different mobs of the game. You want them all to hit like Orcs, have HPs like single ^^ group, and have awesome casting abilities? I personaly like how Sony has mades mobs of various degrees of skill. To call for a nerf on our main DPs nuke because it can kill a couple medium level mobs is a bit short sighted.
  18. ARCHIVED-maddawg138 Guest

you my friend are out of your mind

first you say you dont wanna be a DoT class then [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] how we do too much damage in a single nuke yet you want Ice Comet over Devastation. you sound like a confused little kid in a candy store and dont know what you really want. Devastation is by far one of the best spells if not THE best spell in the game for any mage class. plus part of the game is to kill the mob as fast as possible...so one shotting it sounds fast enough right? yah thought so. k im done here just my 2c.
  19. ARCHIVED-Onlinedecker Guest

This guy must really be a Wizard in disguise.....:robotindifferent:
  20. ARCHIVED-sysopen Guest

I don't play any of the classes (wiz/warlock) but i like to read about classes to learn more about they i play with.
    First of LOL that little guy (in candy store) LOL must be crazy, he complain about killing things to fast and he don't want to be a "dot class" then he want Wiz last hard nuker OMG. I sitting here in my dark room in the middle of the night and i started to laugh loud.