Oceanfull Fails to be Fun

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Almee, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

Oceanfull is supposed to be a festival. Festivals are supposed to be fun. Oceanfull fails miserably to be fun.

AB isn't that populated a server, compared to Maj'Dul, yet there were so many players in Antonica, hunting shells, that it was a fight for every shell. And after having shell after shell stolen from under me, all I got was a bunch of useless stuff to destroy.

The program should have been tracking the number of players so that shells would have been plentiful and players wouldn't have felt like they had to fight others to get a shell. And stealing shells is easy when there is a delay before you can click on a shell. Players would see me standing by a shell, swim over, and click on the shell just as it became available.

Another issue is the scarcity of the two recipe scrolls. For a game that comes up with so many obvious time killers, I simply can't understand why there aren't more recipe scrolls to help keep decorators online decorating. I think that of the five servers I have characters on, only one character has ever gotten the water scroll in all the years of hunting for the scroll. That is really sad for a festival that should be fun.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The shells spawn in like 7 or 8 different zones. You could always try another zone like Timorous Deep, Tranquil Sea, Eastern Wastes, etc.
  3. Smashey Well-Known Member

Its an awful event and the instance is so incredible buggy. Hopefully they increase the event duration because doing this again right all these bugs will only frustrate players.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

What bugs? I ran it this morning without any issues.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Aterskia Active Member

dun yu's see?
    DAT be'es der point!
    dey goes outta der way to uh-sures we's be hatin' on each uhver!!:(
    {me's giss yu's neber vizet ehnee ub der RAID zones,... Sadistic be's dem strategies!: "tik yur elbow inna yu's ear, jump onna wun paw, lickies uver nee"o_O}
  6. Almee Well-Known Member

Here is an example of my problem with the festival. I've been hunting shells for over 4 hours. During that time I got about 16 weapons and almost an equal number of illusions that are useless to me. I got 12 Marid Sea Hunter plushies and 5 Tropical Neriad plushies, 5 rafts, 6 fish racks, 4 bubbling wisp plushies, and 2 aqueous temptations. None of these things are likely to be used in my decorating though others will probably like them.

The things I could use a lot of, in my decorating, I got one or two of such as the whirling water bowl and the orange coral frond. That's pretty depressing for so much time spent. And that's the problem with having the house items in the clams, we spend a lot of time trying to get something, we can really use in our decorating, just to get a lot of stuff that is useless to us.

I know adventurers have the opposite problem with the quests that give house items that can't be sold or traded. At least I can try to sell the stuff I can't use but there is a better solution--make it so the illusion forms are a type of armor for house actors and make the armor useable as house decorations like the Ale-stained cloak. You already have the sub routines.

I realize none of this can be changed for this year but it would be nice if some of it was incorporated into future festivals. And while you are at it, throw in a few more of the water recipes. I managed to get the marble block scroll, after my original post, but after spending almost 5 hours now, I still haven't gotten the water scroll.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Morukta like this.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

There are 11 zones that contain the shells. Trust me,. on any server you care to name there will be several of those that will be virtually empty. Go and dive in one of those. Alternatively plan better. Today is day 1 of the event and everyone is out opening shells. Go and get your quests done instead and come back to the clams in a couple of days when the rush has died down.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Almee Well-Known Member

I am well aware that there are a number of zones and I have tried many of them. I have wasted more hours of my life then I care to think about trying to get the recipe scrolls. Buying them is out of the question when players want hundreds of thousand of plat per scroll.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Oceansful should have pearls as currency that come from clams. And an othmir vendor with stuff to buy things from, Just like Scorched Sky or Tinkerfest.
    Of course it's too late to change anything now, but maybe for next year there will be time to slightly rework is so we can buy what we like and need without the stupid randomness
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  10. Zornar Member

It sounds like you aren't aware there are 2 different loot tables for the clams. If you have the 10-minute buff from the Oceansfull dancers, there is a 9-item loot table with the one recipe, whirling water bowl, orange coral frond, etc.

Without the buff, there is a 25-item loot table with the other recipe and different items like the plushies, raft, fish rack, shells, several types of coral and the copper medal currency. Whenever a clam is looted a line pops up in the chat that you can click on to see the loot table you are drawing from. It appears you were mainly using the 25-item loot table so never had a good chance to get the second recipe.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  11. Zornar Member

I'll have to start saving those scrolls. I got a lot of duplicates that I just sold to a vendor.
  12. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I've gotten around 5 or 6 of each recipe scroll so far, any extras I have I thought I'd use to start a "choose your loot" idea perhaps for future contest rewards. Since I didn't do anything with Oceansfull after 2018, I've missed a LOT of stuff!
    Most of the weapons are just merchant fodder for me, tho I do think perhaps the hammer would be a sweet sculpture and maybe could make a nice crushing set appearance for my monk. :)
  13. Almee Well-Known Member

I finally got the scrolls on all of my carpenters but it was like pulling teeth. That is the problem with making scrolls RNG instead of an item you can collect x-number of coins for to purchase. On the other hand, after an hour of searching I only got two medals, which came to 4 since I'm a member but that is pretty bad considering the recipe, on the Jubilee vendor, is 50 medals. On the plus side I was able to repeat the three easier quests which netted me 30 medals. I'll do them again today and should be able to get the pastel building block recipe for one of my carpenters on Thurgadin.
  14. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

Seee, I KNEW there was something I'd want on the Jubilation vendor. LOL
    I'm not bothering with the bracers as I cannot even use them anyhow, but I neeed recipes & goodies! :cool:
  15. Jesaine Well-Known Member

My two cents here; the basic event has been mostly fun for me. I agree with posts here and elsewhere that say the rates should either be a little less rare (what we REALLY need in this damned game is streak breakers for the RNG), OR able to be bought with event currency. Yes, the Jubilee tokens should have a little better drop rate.

The part that's killed all the Jubilee events for me is the "120" raids that really require you to be 125 and decked out in gear that requires you to have been raiding for a while. I thought this was EQ2, not WoW.
  16. vlada Active Member

there are no jubilee raids. there is a new raid zone which is a fabled version of veeshan's peak the level 80 zone. it was released with GU120 on 8/9/22.it is designed for level 125 raiders just like all the others. it has nothing to do with the jubilee event at all.to be honest,its not a beginner raid zone.. some guilds sussed it already and killed trakanon. the rest of us are having fine time in there. did i mention it has nothing to do with the live event?
  17. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

If I'm being really honest, I wish the RNG factor were removed from the game and things were placed back on the merchants as goals to buy with currency. The rarity of some things has just been a deal breaker for me. It removes quite a bit of fun from the experience when I'm doing something for the Nth time to try for a piece. It's just not fun anymore. It doesn't have the same triumph feel as when I've finally earned enough currency to buy a piece I've been eyeing up for a while, with the knowledge that if I work long enough, I can definitely get that piece.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sadly, none of this is even remotely intuitive, and most folks (/raising_paw) had to come to the forums and 3rd party sites to even find out about that in the first place, let alone how to make it work. X-P

I second, third, fourth, etc. the notion that WE NEED A VENDOR. Or a merchant. Whatever, just like Scorched Sky has. I'd go one better, though: much like the new Frostfell "old stuff" vendor we have in the Village, make the older stuff available TO EVERYONE, and the stuff available every year should include the two recipe books (and Scorched Sky should, by now, have a recipe book [or books] for all the Building Blocks. The vendors already have a number of other neat, unique, holiday-themed things to sell by now; the NPCs won't be losing any currencies to sell us books for those outright). Why make it so damned hard for decorators to get those for Oceansfull? :-/

Uwk
    Jesaine, Twyla and Zornar like this.
  19. Zornar Member

I agree. It would be nice if the Oceansfull dancers or even opening a clam gave an Underwater Breathing Buff instead. Not all classes have their own underwater breathing skill.
  20. puppybreath Active Member

I find it odd how some complain about how "packed" a zone is or how hard they have to "fight" to get items on the first cpl days of an event. Of course things are gunna be populated first few days. Like said there are MANY zones where clams are. If you are patient, you will find soon enough that ppl get bored then you can go clamming till your hearts content.

Just wait for the "newness" to wear off.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Twyla like this.