Number Inflation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lovidicus, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Lovidicus Active Member

Ever notice how terribly large the numbers are in EQ2 now? They're way inflated and could really use a re-tune. It's hard to appreciate how hard you hit when it's for tens of millions. Your brain can't really contemplate those size of numbers very easily.

The fast solution:
    Give us a checkbox in options to truncate large numbers. Instead of 32,000,000 it could just say 32m. Just a thought.
  2. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

In my opinion the games needs an item squish. Much like WoW did last year.

Would also be cool if they just removed auto attack stats and kept it the same for every archetype since its about 2% of a parse now.
  3. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

EverQuest I has the option of abbreviating combat text.
    i.e.
    1. You hit Soandso with ## of piercing damage!
    2. Hit Soandso with ## piercing damage.
    3. ## damage.
    (or something similar, it has been awhile since I played there)
    Considering the same Developers work on both EverQuest I and EverQuest II, this suggests simple adjustment here.

and maybe a 4th option could be the "Batman!" option, to just have each hit set to BANG! POW! ZOOM! ZOWIE! ;)
    Hexalobular and Ceyllynn like this.
  4. Giga Member

Careful what you wish for, when WOW did that it actually caused some problems with classes as the scalling was off.
  5. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

And it was fixed in a week because blizzard actually have developers. But thats an entirely other discussion.
  6. Lovidicus Active Member

If they can't figure out how to squish stats at least give us a "truncate combat text" box. That's pretty easy to do.

But honestly that's a lazy way out. The numbers we see now are just kinda dumb. Stat inflation is a thing for sure.
  7. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Actually, I found the setting that does exist within the game Options:

[IMG]

no Batman! setting yet though,... ;)
  8. Lovidicus Active Member

After poking around a bit longer I realized how bad things really are. Gear is boring because it's so stupidly over-stat. Why would you ever need to have over 100% crit rate? Oh because they want you to keep playing so they have to make you feel super powerful. Just make mobs resistant to crit and now it's fun again?

Seriously, DBG needs to re-do these numbers. It's idiotic. Cancelled my account tonight cause I just can't get into it.

Who wants my stuff? Just kidding, it's all garbage. And I was so excited for PoP in eq2. =/ Been waiting since the game launched. So disappointed. I really wanted to love this game again.
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

While that option shortens the overall line, it does so by removing the extra wording, not shortening the number string as the original post requested.

I agree it's frustrating to see you hit for 34167346 damage. I mean, add some commas or just straight up shorten it or something. I'd be happy to see I hit for 34 million, I really don't care about the extra 167,346 when the mobs hp pool is in the tens of billions.
    Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr likes this.
  10. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

meh.
    with all these stats, these will allow the casual player to actually access/finish/enjoy the previous expansion's content.
    so all those stupid hard zones that everyone got one-shotted by the first beasty will now be way easier with better gear. ;)
  11. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

HERE HERE!! adding commas would make reading the number 1,000x easier and faster to read.
  12. Imilla Member

The style recommendation accepted by most international scientific organizations is to use the space if number grouping is used. The comma is used as the decimal mark in many countries.
  13. Shokadezz New Member

Bringing this back in 2022. After a long hiatus I logged in to see stats are still in the several millions. I may be a disabled vet with mental health issues, but how can you convert a client from 32 to 64 bit but not fix that? I get that all 300 people in the game are used to the current system in place, but I feel like they'd be doing themselves a solid by making the stats not so astronomical. I love the franchise as much as the next guy but the numbers are just insane. /rant off
    Juraiya likes this.