Number formatting and abbreviation is an instant turn-off

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rattophaxe, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

And I mean that literally.

People asked over and over for the huge 12+ digit numbers to be abbreviated, or at least get commas. And Lo and Behold this has finally happened. And the first thing you will need to do if you use ACT (which be it admitted is mostly people afflicted with the huge numbers issue) is turn both things off. All because DBG didn't have the wit to alter only the displayed on-screen numbers . Nooo, they decided to apply the same abbreviations and formatting in the logfiles :(. Words fail me in trying to describe how ............. this is.
    Aethos, Observing and Sigrdrifa like this.
  2. Bramdar Active Member

At least the second option only requires an ACT parser update (I think.) The GU notes did mention that log parsers would be affected, but ACT hasn't had a parser update (to the English parser, at least) since December. Hopefully another one is on the way soon.

I was honestly hoping for more as well - not just combat logs, but mouseover text for spells/CAs, etc. The roadmap does specifically say combat data, but oh well.
    Observing likes this.
  3. Bludd Well-Known Member

the feature we really wanted was the abilities/spells/items/etc/etc examine or tooltip to show abbreviated numbers or with commas

but log files? sure, i mean if act adds support for it, but if not we have to turn it off. to play eq2 we need act
    Twyla and Observing like this.
  4. morderir Active Member

i can't agree more :) comma for the abilities/spells/items/etc/etc examine or tooltip for the win !
    i am really tired having to use a spreadsheet to be able to read the values ...
    Twyla and Observing like this.
  5. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Well, sorry to say but you are right out of luck. Abbreviations in tooltips are not implemented at all by this change. The only thing it affects is what is goes into chat, and therefore ends up in the logs. In other words, a complete fail.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for a "fix" from ACT either -- ACT is freeware, recoding the parser to handle EQ2's optional custom formatting (with optional European formatting oh joy!) would be an utter pita, and the numbers seem to get rounded to a mingy 1 or 2 significant digits. Really, if I were them I'd consider it for about 1 nanosecond before I went, yeah, nah.

In fact Sigfrida did give ACT a heads-up back on April 2; see response here.
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Aditu said:
    What that means is that it would be best if the logfiles still got the unabbreviated, unformatted numbers, and that the screen display was the only thing affected by the number truncation and formatting.

Aditu has, however, gone on to say in that same thread:
    Please, if you can, try it out and post feedback to the linked ACT Forum thread.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

Yep, 100% fail really. I mean, seriously, who actually reads either the displayed overheads or the log numbers? Back when I used to raid the overheads were turned off completely due to a combination of lag factor and inability to actually see what's going on through them (and I used to raid when the numbers were MUCH smaller!), and the only thing that can read numbers in a combat log flying by at the speed it does is the ACT parser which is now broken.

And those of us trying to compare item x with item y in examine windows are still having to count digits to work out if things are even of the same magnitude. :oops: *sigh*
  8. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Entirely agree with the above, with one minor caveat: the ACT parser isn't broken -- it works just fine -- provided you turn OFF both "Show Abbreviated Combat Values" and "Show Formatted Combat Values" (under Options > User Interface > Name and Chat Bubbles).
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  9. Ichoris Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I wanted the formatted text for abilities/spells/items examine and tooltips. I rarely look at the log or floating combat numbers. I'm always looking to compare items and spells and what not. Not a very useful change (for me) but it could be for others.
    Twyla likes this.
  10. Taled Well-Known Member

As has been explained more than once, but you may have missed, changing the data coming in game is much faster/simpler than changing all of the UI elements. The UI elements will be getting changed, but they are rolling out the changes as they complete them rather than waiting and doing it all at once. This way we get to see the incremental changes and if there are any issues with sections of the changes they can fix them and apply those 'lessons learned' to the other changes as they come up.

The UI changes are coming, though we haven't gotten an ETA from the devs yet - I would expect them to probably be closer to the 64 bit change, personally, but who knows for sure.
    Bludd and Bramdar like this.
  11. Bramdar Active Member

That's good to know. The roadmap didn't go into this level of detail - it's a summary, so I wasn't expecting it. I take it this is one of those things that was mentioned in Discord but not in the forums?
  12. Taled Well-Known Member

Honestly, I *think* it was also said in the forums, but I'd have to dig to find where as it was responses to people asking questions everywhere it was said. (Or responses to the complaint it was only the text and not the UI on beta, as well!)

I don't have the direct link for it handy, or I'd share - It was definitely on discord, but I can't promise the forums, so apologies if I made it seem definite.
  13. Ichoris Well-Known Member

Thanks Taled for the updated information. I didn't know it was going to include formatted text for abilities/spells/items examine and tooltips. Good to know that it will be added in the future. If you come across the Discord link I would love to read it. I don't use Discord that often. I find it very hard to find information on that format.
  14. Taled Well-Known Member

Can't get discord to give me a direct link on my phone, but this is from the EQ2 discord, general-beta-shenanigans subsection.

[IMG]
    Xillean, Rattophaxe, Bramdar and 3 others like this.
  15. Miauler Active Member

This was mentioned in Beta. However, I suspect that with the stack of things on the plate to be done, vetting that the changes to the EQ2 options menus and vetting the handles to screen and log worked independently and reliably to spec was more resource than could be spared.
    I'm not actually certain that there currently is a mechanism to modify content to logs that's different to that presented in chat,as the logs contain the colour control codes as well as the text, which makes me think it's a simple combination of the channels directed to one output handle that would remain open. That would be a sensible decision given the age of the code, in which case adding extra handling for the channel display to distinguish between context of the output handles would require a little bit of time that wasn't available (probably the difference between adding a format to a text string, as currently happens, and rewriting the way the chat windows behave and testing that).
  16. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Yes, But as has been said above, it wasn't chat that most people wanted modified. It's the currently incomprehensible tooltips. As it is, they seem to have wasted their time modifying chat to no useful effect. Time that could have been spent elsewhere (like, on the tooltips/UI?). Nvm. I've turned it off. Everyone else that notices it as an issue will turn it off as well. Entirely avoidable problem solved <shrug>
    Twyla and Tkia like this.