Now that IoR is getting Specialty Treatment...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Cyrrena, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahare Member

Caps lock is not cruise control for cool. That being said. My way of looking at it, and my analogy. Say you have two restaurants owned by the same chain.

Restaurant A will allow you to get basic meals for free, and premium meals for $15. Restaurant B will get you the same premium meals, for the same price, but you get added dessert as a bonus, and you don't have to deal with the people at Restaurant A who are getting the basic meals.

In essence, the prestige servers have a perk, and the F2P members have a perk. While you're correct that premium members that are on standard servers can drop to F2P, as someone who only plays when he's subbed, there's quite the list of perks that I get why subscribers not on IoR are wondering what gives. Me, whatever, I might hop over there myself, I might not. But I see where some others who have been posting are coming from.
  2. Tekka Well-Known Member

You are categorically, and demonstrably wrong, as has been illustrated before, at great length, when this ridiculous claim is made.

Before you make such declarations, I suggest you go and play every single MMO that offers a hybrid model. Or at the very least put in the minimal amount of effort required to google 'subscription perks of <game>'.

Facts are your friend, and the taste of foot has to be terrible.

Isle of Refuge is a special rule set server. The benefit of rolling on that server is that you have free trade, that is the 'prestige' of that server. Just like the TLE servers have gated content or special rewards claimable on standard servers.

IoR is now the new Dungeon Maker. It's already started with questions about the minimum time required to spend there to game the system. Do you think that's going to be good for the overall health of your server and community?

Instead of an influx of paying customers to the game, which it could have been, it'll leave a legacy of dissatisfaction. And when it doesn't turn out the way folks thought it would?
    Ceyllynn, Ummmyeh and Mizgamer62 like this.
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

Analogies are only good when they're useful. If a conversation devolves into people countering bad analogies with bad analogies the conversation has failed.

Another way to look at it; If you can't communicate what you want to say succinctly then either you don't know how to communicate or you don't actually know what it is you're trying to say.

For instance:

A) Why is it that people who pay a sub only get certain sub related perks if they play on a particular server?

B) Those perks are now tied to that server. Play on that server and you can have those sub related perks as well.

A) I don't want to play on a different server. I pay a sub, why can't I have those sub related perks as well?

B) Because you don't play on that server and clearly without those perks a lot of other people won't play there as well.

Not that difficult, is it? No need to talk about roads or restaurants or any other garbage that muddies and derails the conversation.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

You seriously haven't played many other MMOs have you? I have 3 others installed on my computer now I could fire up and play with no issues without dropping a dime (if they were anywhere as enjoyable as eq2, they'd see more play, but they just aren't my cup of tea really). If I wanted to be completely up to date, I'd need to buy at least one expansion I'm sure, but the same would apply to eq2, if you don't buy the expansion, you don't play it. The ones I have on my computer are far from the only ones with that set-up.

The dev team is tiny.
    Instead of wasting time propping up dead specialty servers, they need to move on and make overall changes that bring people back to the game (to all servers) and encourages them to subscribe. Because as much as people on the prestige servers seem to hate to admit it, F2P players actually spend money on the game too and are more likely to spend money on the game if they have plenty of other people to play with. Encouraging that would be healthy for the game.

But I hope those who play on IoR enjoy the perks they have on their small pop server for as long as it lasts. I stand by my comment that if these perks are going to be there, the transfers need to go back to being one way though. Of course it won't, because as someone said earlier, it gives DB the possibility of extra income from people transferring in for quick leveling or things they can't access on the regular servers and then the $25 for a token to get back off.
  5. Mahare Member

That's not belittling at all. I did post further non-analogy info afterwards. Wasn't the original perk for IoR the free trade aspect? So it's somewhat getting more unique perks now. Regardless, if the devs change it they change it, if they don't they don't. They're the ones making it.
  6. Revel Well-Known Member

The arguments are getting downright silly. Sure, uproot entire communities, and split them further (what was the mass merger for at the start of ToT?) or leave them and friends behind, oh and be sure pay to move all your toons IoR. Oh, and woe to you if you feel the least bit annoyed at it, and shame on you.

IoR doesn't have a single raiding guild of note, and I don't expect this to change. Its going to be a server of transients, moving there to abuse the system who then move off to a different server when they're done and enrich Daybreak is all it is.
  7. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Personally I find these changes ridiculous. Clearly time and effort is being spent on doing this, discussions on it etc. This is time that should be spent on fixing the overall issues in this game which are well documented and in abundance.

Everything as of late appears to be a case of trying to get people to spend as much money as possible. Premium servers, pay to progress items etc.

While in the short term it may feel like a good idea from a business perspective, Its got to be worth pissing off a large amount of your community base to do so. In this case, it really does not feel right.

I myself have been an avid player of EQ2 since 2004. Have had multiple accounts concurrently for years and have bought every expac etc. I feel the game has reached a stage where obvious issues are swept under the carpet and covered up by random new gimmicks that people think are new and automatically amazing, but turn out to be lazy and unsatisfactory. I will be stopping playing this game in the next week or so because of it, and I know many many others are in the same boat.

With very few new players joining the game, and an exodus of players leaving, I seriously hope someone at DBG actually stops for a second and actually questions what is going on. Perhaps the next expansion will resolve this, but I personally feel unless there has been some major changes within the development team we will continue on the downwards spiral we are on.
    Ceyllynn, Ummmyeh, Tekka and 4 others like this.
  8. Ummmyeh Active Member

WALL OF TEXT INC!

Pre TL;DR--Get over your hate and disgust. It is NOT that big of a deal and affects you absolutely 0% other than the fact you just need something to whine about and how unfair you feel you are being treated.

NOW, Let us just take a moment of silence and let you all recognize exactly how petty and whiny you are actually being for hating on this.

At peak hours this server has had 40-65 people on average for the past few months. As little as 10 in the early morning hours. That has barely changed. Sure we saw an uptick to almost 100 yesterday but it has thus far been back to normal-ish for us today. I can log on ANY server at any time (and I do) and see a minimum of at least 100 on at ALL times aside from SH of course but that as we know was relaunched as FG.

I see crying on AB that the pop is low when there is quite a few times (recently) I have seen 2 instances of OF among other things at different points in the day I might also add. That is supposedly the least populated server. We barely get 10 on to do the key in that zone during the most populated hours. The more frequent key drops helps us.

Your attitudes are Like OMG so-and-so is going to transfer to IoR get good all of a sudden. The population boom that you are thinking is happening is NOT really happening. Maybe it starts later who knows. And frankly that could happen but I don't expect it.

For $26.55 you could transfer to and fro (after a 30 day wait) and take advantage of the situation and then back to your home server. I see this as more of effort to get players to us to support our low population through retention. I guarantee once most people get there they will NOT want to transfer but that is my thought alone. I foresee a lot of alts coming over to get their wares and move on.

This is (IMO) basically for those that have been on the server and supported it from the start and endured all the challenges that we have had to endure with the low population. We have no raids---like all the other servers. We just do not have the population. So that means we have no access to any of that awesome t4 gear. It is quite difficult finding groups for ethereals so basically very few of us have access to that aspect of the game either.

The indefinite ethereal coins (which in fact does not mean forever) helps us out immensely. The triple coins now for which I do not when they will end helps us out catch up. Most people I know on other server are just waiting with their coins to purchase the belt which means they have the gm cloak/ rune etc. On our server it is not like that. Most people (some have more) on this server are still trying to get adept cloaks. Quite frankly we need that support.

Yes this update is throwing us a bone to get some of you over there to help support us. Can it be taken advantage of? Of course and people will! Is that the intention? I do not believe it is. I have been one of the people from this sever in contact with a member of the dev staff with ideas on how to help us get more population. I am elated that they are trying to help us.

My apologies for the usage of the term whiny. That is just how most of you are coming across to me on this subject. Like when my three year old cries to me that his 4 year old brother got a bigger piece of pie for dessert. Some people have made some good points so this doesn't really apply to everyone per say but it is obvious who is whom.

For all I know I may come across as whiny and perhaps even inconsiderate to others. It is a known fact that his server is looked down upon by virtually every other server out there. You can see that through the trolling that goes on when we try to discuss it. READ: past threads. Haters going to hate and you all are doing a fine job of proving that point.

So go ahead and troll away on me and this wall of text in retaliation it is cool I am a big boy and it will not bother me at ALL. I have said my peace. Just don't be upset when I post a retort.

EDIT note--fell to feel like it should have been
  9. Revel Well-Known Member

If people are now allowed to transfer off Isle of Refuge, you're already wrong that it doesn't effect other servers and thus I stopped reading here.
    Ceyllynn, CoLD MeTaL, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.
  10. Vunder Well-Known Member

So many whiny cry babies in these forums...so many....No wonder the dev's avoid the forums and stays on discord.

I would too if people cried as much as you guys do. Man, I work with 5-7 year olds all day that don't whine as much as most of you folks.
    Ummmyeh likes this.
  11. Revel Well-Known Member

You're the one throwing a fit because people don't agree with you.
  12. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

I thought that was Ummmyeh... :p
    Ummmyeh and Mizgamer62 like this.
  13. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

We pay to play this game and that entitles us to whine as you call it....because last time I checked, this isn't a charity. If it were a charity and we didn't have to spend a dime, then I could agree that we wouldn't have the right to express discontent.
    Ceyllynn, Ummmyeh and Tekka like this.
  14. Tekka Well-Known Member

Not entirely correct. Two of those perks are not unique, and have been offered as bonuses for all subscribers previously. At least one other has been offered as an extended, though not permanent, bonus as well. I believe the only 'unique' one is the more frequent events in Obulous Frontier.

This is not the sort of decision a gamer makes for a game, nor anyone interested in the quality and longevity of a game. This is the kind of decision corporate types make to net more cash in the short term.

Isle of Dungeon Maker. Transfer in to power level, gear up fast, transfer back out. 30$ round trip and who cares what it does to the communities, sever economies and the game. Cash gimmicks, with no regard for how they impact the game, are the new way of things.
    Ceyllynn, Mermut, Ummmyeh and 3 others like this.
  15. Kristabella Well-Known Member

To those complaining and assuming that DBG was being greedy, it was NOT DBG that just threw this together so this server would survive. MANY, MANY IoR community members got together, through Discord, Email, and other means to encourage that DBG not to give up on us. We love our server. It is BS free. Most of the people came here to get away from all that other lunacy. We have found our sanctuary here. We were the ones repeatedly for months and months and month, have asked for help. After much waiting and hand wringing, we finally got the help we needed, and deserved. Frankly, DBG could have cut their losses and gave us all transfer tokens and been done with it. but they listened to us. We thank them.

AB complained about low population, LOL. they didn't have a clue one. I have a toon there and I seen many instances of OF1 and OF2 and we have had to cancel OF PQ's because no one shows up. We didn't even do FENS, JW or KP any more, there was just no one to do it with. What you guys have all had every day, we haven't had for many months. Heroic Groups, Expert Groups, Raids, Burnt Key drops, Ethereal Events... so even though we paid, we missed the very content you all were getting. And now that we have gotten some help, that we asked for, everyone is gonna cry and whine.

All of you sad sacks, so what. Most of you have said you already quit. Ok, well no problem there. You are gonna quit, that's your choice. You say it's just gonna fail. Well guess what, if it fails, it fails, at least we tried.

** All waves of Kunark Ascending Ethereal Events are now active indefinitely.

The entire time the Ethereal Events were running, there was so little populations, no one could run even the heroic zones. So nearly our entire server had to do without this event. While all the other servers including AB, were racking them up, we have done without. We have paid for the game as well, and we missed that entire content.

** Character transfer tokens may now be purchased on the Isle of Refuge server. Newly created characters or characters who transferred onto a Free Trade server must wait 30 days to consume a character transfer token and transfer off.

One of the unintended drawbacks of this server was that people felt they would be trapped.
    So this fixes that problem. When Isle of Refuge was launched a year ago, they said:

"When Isle of Refuge launches, there will be no transfers allowed on or off Isle of Refuge. This is a new Norrathian community being formed, and we want you all to have the opportunity to build relationships and a thriving player economy. There are no plans to EVER allow transfers off the Isle of Refuge server..."

It did not say No one will EVER be allowed to transfer off of Isle of Refuge Server....

It said "There are NO PLANS, to EVER allow transfers" So, at the time there were NO PLANS, but due to circumstances now there are plans.

** The portion of status that is contributed to guild leveling has been permanently multiplied by 5 on the Isle of Refuge server.

You can't expect people to move or give up their guilds without a way to get them back. This fixes that problem.

** Random events in the Obulus Frontier are now more common on a Free-Trade server.

Burnt Key, no matter what time of the day or night, there was never enough people on
    to trigger the burnt key to drop. So, no one has gotten the key in quite a long time. This was
    just another part of the game our server community has missed out on, every day.

** Players will earn double Ascension Experience on a Free Trade server.

If people were going to roll new toons or bring an alt here who was not up to par, they needed a way to get up to speed, so that those of us already there can group with them.

But, I am not going to convince you naysayers about anything. if you can't get it, no one should get it. If you have a sub, then start a new toon here, won't cost you a dime. Wen you get your free 500DBC every month transfer a toon here, that won't cost you anything either. Only if after 30 days if you don't like it here, you can go. Save up your DBC for a few months and get a discount on the toke with a 10% member discount too. So, you can get it too, but that is up to you.
    Juraiya and Ummmyeh like this.
  16. Ummmyeh Active Member

K, good on you.
  17. Ummmyeh Active Member

Says the one throwing the biggest fit. Grats!
  18. Ummmyeh Active Member

I don't throw fits I just point out when others are--read ALL my previous posts pally.

You must have not read the part where I said I was elated about the changes. Good try but I wear troll repellent.
  19. Ummmyeh Active Member

By all means whine away!
  20. Malleria Well-Known Member

So in other words, IoR players whined and complained to get the bonus', and now are whining and complaining when subscribers on the rest of the servers point out it's unfair.
    Ceyllynn, Cyrrena, Finora and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.