Now Neutral Class Lore?

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Enever, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    It could work! Really! Just imagine... a small office building on the outskirts of North Qeynos.......
    *ring ring*
    Necro: Hello, Ned's Necrotic's! How can we help you today?
    Caller: Hi, Ned, I'm having some problems with this worker you sent over to the castle today.
    Necro: Let me see *flip flip flip* Ah, yes, the moat cleaning. What might the problem be?
    Caller: Well... the worker is my Uncle.
    Necro: Ah! So there's a family dispute then?
    Caller: Not exactly. He's.... dead.
    Necro: That's generally how folks get to be part of Ned's Necrotics!
    Caller: Yes. Well... it's a bit upsetting to his sister to see his desicated remains shambling around out in our moat.
    Necro: Moat cleaning is definately not a job for the weak of heart -- or stomach!
    Caller: Uh, yeah. And... well... he's got an eye on my wife, Millie, too.
    Necro: Ahhh, love *sigh* -- not even death can stop it!
    Caller: No, no... I mean... his eye... it fell out... it's on her. She's been screaming for an hour now.
    Necro: Whoops! Well, no worries -- he's still covered by warranty!
    Caller: Um... would it be possible to have a new worker come out? I just don't think this one is... right.
    Necro: Let's see... well, there's a raid headed for Roehn Theer at six -- I'm sure we'll have some fresh bodies by eight!
    Caller: That would be wonderful!
    Necro: Always a pleasure! Thank you for shopping at Ned's Necrotics!
    Ned's Necrotics! Bringing quality undead labor to you!
  2. ARCHIVED-Nakaru-Nitepaw Guest

My statement is only on the basis that the word rogue means to be a type of outlaw. Not aligned to anything but themselves. Which naturally makes them neutral. Sure they do terrible things. But so do pirates. :p
  3. ARCHIVED-Cajuth Guest

Black and White can be very boring.

Whether or not they can be called "good or evil" aligned, Qeynos IMO would not be so squeaky clean that there aren't brigands living within. Yes this is fantasy, but even in fantasy certain realism should be expected. Good would possibly live in an evil city, and evil would possibly live in the good city.
  4. ARCHIVED-Narino Guest

Iskander...that post is just fantastic!! Wish we had npcs like that Hire him please, even if by force
  5. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Brigands= thieves

Thieves are not inherently evil. Aladdin was a thief and was a good character.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Gungo wrote:
    Brigands = Thieves who will kill you if you don't give them your money at knifepoint, and sometimes will kill you even if you do.
  7. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Care to show me the lore for that or you just making stuff up like normal?
    Also necros are considered good in painel.
  8. ARCHIVED-Taemien Guest

Necros, Defilers, Shadowknights, and Brigands are considered Evil in Qeynos, Kelethin, and Halas.
    Think of it as political more then alignment based these days.
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The class speaks for itself.
    Here's a list of their spells and some of what those spells used to be called before the revamp.
    Backstab - Hidden Shiv, Craven Delight, Spineripper, Disembowel, Entrail
    Battery and Assault - Aggravated Assault, Vicious Assault, Malicious Assault
    Bumrush - Distracting Blade, Sideswipe, Sidestab
    Mug - Bruise, Wrangle, Ruckus, Roughen
    Barroom Negotiation - Forceful Negotiation, Thuggish Negotiation
    Gouge - Vicious Stab, Waylay, Ambuscade
    Blackguard - Knave, Ruffian, Mercenary Stance
    Cuss - Upbraid, Chasten, Vaunt, Snicker
    Murderous Rake - Vicious Rake, Ruinous Rake, Blood Rake
    Stunning Blow - Low Blow, Dirty Blow, Deceitful Blow
    Shank - Shiv, Stab, Spew
    Band of Thugs - Hood of Thugs

Blackguard - Noun - A low, contemptible person; scoundrel
    Synonyms - scamp, rascal, rapscallion, rogue, devil, villain. 3. berate, vilify

Do I need to keep going? The class defines itself through it's spell names, most of which use words that indicate malicious harm or intimidation towards others. You still want to try and justify that they could be neutral? The developers are the ones defining this class as evil. Even at the character creation screen, there's a quote about how much better it feels to just stab someone in the back and being an outlaw.
  10. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

Spell names don't really give the full picture though. Keep in mind that you can do the same thing with Assassins -- described as "the master of sinister strikes and opportunistic attacks"... decked out in class armor with set names like "Insidious" (Kunark) or "Nemesis" (Faydwer)... using combat arts with names like "Villainy," "Massacre," "Torture," "Murderous Design," "Eviscerate," etc.
    But Assassins are neutral now. Still, the names of their spells don't exactly imbue me with a warm feeling of "I should invite the assassin next door over for a cup of tea."
    Likewise, an evil "Red Hood" Ranger in Freeport casting "Jeth's Cuddly Companion" wouldn't exactly fill me with a sense of overwhelming fear and dread... more of an "awwww, lookit da little bear! He's sooo cuuute!"
  11. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Iskandar wrote:
    Until that gigantic frickin' grizzly mauls your face off and devours your corpse at the Red Hood's command.
  12. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

kelvmor wrote:
    In the words of Mayong Mistmore, "AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!"
  13. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

okay difference between Brig and Swash simple.
    Swash = Con Artist
    Brig = Armed gunman.

sure the swash is a 'criminal' same as the brig. but the swash would sooner charm your money out of you with fancy words tricks and slight of hand..and if you catch him, he'll put up a fight and probably try painting you as the bad guy...then hold you at knifepoint and demand your coinpurse.

Brig will hold you at knifepoint, demand all your coin, and then if you even think something he doesn't approve of he'll still kill you anyway just to be on the safe side..or more likely for his own amusement at the look on your face.
  14. ARCHIVED-DeBasilisk Guest

Some of the neutral class lore works out, others doesn't. I think the Devs did a pretty good job at the change, overall, so I'll just shrug and suspend disbelief for the rest. Although, I REALLY have to suspend disbelief with the Qeynos assassins. hehe. FP Rangers work though, I like the Red Hood concept.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

As far as the Swash/Brig argument (who I do think would have been a better option as neutrals), I'll note that the historically, the difference between a pirate and a privateer was a letter of marque/lettre de course - and whether yours was issued by the same country as the ship pulling up alongside you.
  16. ARCHIVED-Enever Guest

I never expected this post to be explosive XD. So, the lore is in now right? I took a break for a few months. I'll need to take a look.
  17. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Yes, go look through Freeport and Qeynos and you will find them all.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Actually I find the Eye of Bayle to be more believable then the Red Hoods, myself. mostly due to the fact that a bunch of rangers got a back shot on a orc and not ONE managed to hit him in a fatal place? he wasn't even LOOKING. that shoulda been Ranger 1 shot in the kidney, ranger two shot in the back of the neck, ranger 3 headshot. orc shoulda been dead before he knew there were people there aiming at him :p

The Eye of Bayle assassins were more of a know your enemy, fight fire with fire kind of deal. what better way to prevent assassinations or other unwanted covert types then be trained in the same arts. Thier outing is entirely political more then anything, they make that pretty clear. the Council wanted someone to pin the blame for antonia's abduction on and thier naturally sneak, unknown way of doing things made them the perfect scape goats.
  19. ARCHIVED-Rezikai Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    /agee,... though the only thing i dont get is they claim to have formed after the assasination of King Antoinias I. Which to my best knowledge wasnt assassinated..... however in eq1 King Antonias IV was assassinated after he had faked his own death and went to spend the last years of his life in retirement in the Isles of Erolisi with Lady Shae.
    An unknown assassin that was never known or caught, killed him in his sleep.
  20. ARCHIVED-DeBasilisk Guest

Here's the thing though, the Eye of Bayle stinks of innocence lost and subtle corruption. Those are two very serious and realistic themes and will be found in any real life city. That being said, EQ2 is a game, and Qeynos is supposed to be the bastion of hope. It's supposed to be the most "Good," city in the present world, and having secret "do what it takes," hit squads sounds like something you'd expect to find in FP.
    Personally I can't stand Qeynos, so I don't really care from my character's perspective. But from an outside perspective...