Notices of problems only being replied to on Discord

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by AOE1, Sep 22, 2020.

1. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I do not have Discord. I do not want Discord. I should not have to have and use Discord in order to find out that a problem people are experiencing is being discussed or replied to by a dev or dreamweaver on Discord and not here. This seems to now be the norm. I hear all the time while in the game toons saying that such and such was just announced on Discord. I go to try to verify and learn more here on the forums and NADA!

We have twitter (never anything there especially regarding problems) and we have facebook (same as twitter, nothing there) and we have the forums. Yet it appears that they have time to talk on Discord but not take 1 minute to type information where I think most people go to find information.

Forums go down, I check twitter AND facebook and not one word or mention that they know and are working on the issue. I come here and someone in the game started a thread, thankfully, letting people know that a server went down and others can be comforted that it isn't their machine having issues. I would think that YOU, the Devs or the management, would be the ones to get on first and let us know but that appears to be more than anyone can handle. I am aware you are probably working on the problem but someone can take a whole couple of minutes and put a post in the forums. If they can take time to chat in Discord, by darned they can take the time to come to these forums. Come on people. And you wonder why people get aggravated?
    Pixistik, Almee, Udonn and 5 others like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Welcome to 2017.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rd-but-not-forums-tells-you-something.577629/
    Breanna likes this.
  3. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for having a memory that I don't have anymore. Since it has apparently been some time since this issue was brought up, I have NO problem bringing it up again.

Thank you for your link.
    Feldon and Dude like this.
  4. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Who started the EQ2 Discord which moved communications away from forums in the first place? EQ1 devs spend of the majority of their time on the EQ1 forums.

In fairness, the devs on Planetside 2 use Discord and Reddit. lol.

I am guessing they prefer Discord because it's easier to use (login) on their devices (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop). EQ1 devs and Tom Tobey are just old school.
  5. Jrox Well-Known Member

Well that was a blast from the past. I re-read through a lot of that for the second time. It's funny how so little changes and how much remains the same. And there in lies the beauty of a forum with history vs. Discord where chat can run amuck and absolutely nothing of real substance can be tracked or followed. Easier to put something there where it can get lost forever rather than in a forum where you can have your feet held to the fire I guess.
    GhostofRivervale and Wulfgyr like this.
  6. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Discord is a considerably faster method of communication and is more flexible.
    Snikkety, Bludd and Benito like this.
  7. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

But on Discord the ban hammer falls for the slightest thing. Sarcastic wit? Banned. Express an opinion at odds with Kander? Banned. Express an opinion that Caith might not be handling itemisation for the best? Banned.
    At least here if you hit the extremely sensitive nerves of the DPG staff, you do get a warning or two.
  8. Elskidorr Active Member

It's easier to stroke the ego when you can ban all the critics and naysayers.
  9. Treiko Active Member

It kills me to see something simple such as having a different opinion is so heavily censored. I have a discord, but I also have a pretty loose hold on my sarcasm for the most part. I would hate to get banned in a channel before I even finished typing "Hello". People need to lighten up. I get people don't appreciate being told their work sucks, but shutting down critics like that only breeds more critics. The relationship between clients and company has definitely gone south over the years.
    Tkia and Wulfgyr like this.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Didn't Gninja or one of the other devs say that there is a Discord algorithm that automatically bans people for unapproved words (bad words, trademarked words, third party software)?

Several devs and Dreamweaver have already said that you can communicate with them to remove the ban.

The issue seems to be largely resolved.
  11. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Gninja and Dreamweaver have already explained that the bans on Discord are due to filtering software or algorithms.

Otherwise, if it were Daybreak policy to silence "critics", "critics" would receive bans here.

They have constantly reminded us that you can message them to remove a ban on Discord.
  12. Priority Well-Known Member

This. Sums it up beautifully.

It wasn't an algorithm that perma banned me. It was Kander or Caith getting upset over a habitual dissenter saying they continue to put out trash content and continuously fail to fix the issues that drove players from the game in droves.
    Feldon, GhostofRivervale and Wulfgyr like this.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

1. Were you constructive?

2. Did your "habitual dissenting" (e.g. use of phrases such as "trash content") trip the bad word filter?

3. Did you appeal your ban with Dreamweaver or Gninja?
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

I propose that the EQ2 devs do away with Discord and follow the example of EQ1 devs.

It would "lessen transparency" but that interactions may be more professional on the forums.

You need only to look to the EQ1 forums to see the high level of professionalism.

Edit: I honestly feel like player interactions may waste time since any non-constructive back-and-forth consumes time. The interactions are probably more instantaneous and emotional on Discord.
  15. Priority Well-Known Member

Feedback, whether constructive or other, is completely ignored by Caith.

I've been banned 3 times. 3 day, 7 day, Perma. They didn't even have a reason listed for the perma, nor had I said anything remotely nasty or demeaning since the last ban.

Caith and Kander are not interested in anything the players have to say, Kander has openly told players to go play something else if they don't like the direction they're going with the game or the decisions they make. Caith hasn't put it that bluntly, but is inferred from some of his interactions with players on discord. Most notably how gear is acquired, or not, in that players case.

Search their comments over the last year and see for yourself, unless they've deleted them.
    Feldon and Tkia like this.
  16. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Kander & Caith's conduct on Discord was one of the major factors behind me cancelling my subs, switching to F2P, and largely moving from Norrath to Eorzea. It was not the sole factor by any means, but it did play a significant part in my decision. I've been told I could appeal to Dreamweaver - but that feels kind of like appealing a traffic citation after a cop rear-ends you at a stoplight.
    Feldon, Tkia and Priority like this.
  17. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

If that's the case, why bother to keep Discord going?

The only benefit seems to be the excuse of "transparency."

They should close it down and follow EQ1's feedback loop on the forums.

It seems to be a major waste of time for both devs and players especially since some players are not being listened to and the devs are wasting time in non-constructive back-and-forth.
    Priority likes this.
  18. Priority Well-Known Member

I agree, shut it down. At least here they'll give me a reason why I was banned/censored.
    Arclite and Feldon like this.
  19. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It seems to be a source of great acrimony.

The Fortnite dev team gives ZERO communication to their players. They don't even publish patch notes.

Unfortunately, we live in an era where less transparency is better. Transparency tends to get people in trouble. It may be time for the EQ2 devs to circle the wagons and withdraw.
  20. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

[IMG]

These days, contact Dreamweaver to ask about lifting a Discord ban.
    Breanna likes this.