Noob necro pet Qs

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-bertoxx, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-bertoxx Guest

Hey, I am new to EQ2 and have been having a blast so far leveling. I am a dark elf necro. I have a question about our pets.

All fighter pets are tanking/soloing pets correct?

All scout/mage pets are for groups/dps... which is the better of the two?

Where can I get adept/master ranks of pets?

Thanks in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Trensharo-EQ Guest

Back when I first trialed the game, I had to get all my Adept pets from the guild I was in. They were overly expensive in the auction. 100p for a tier 3 spell is kinda much :p Maybe prices went down since then.

You can also get some Adepts by killing named. They spawn a chest and sometimes you get a Necro Adept from it :)

Or you can have someone scribe/craft you one :)
  3. ARCHIVED-StPatrick Guest

You are correct in all your questions. As for which pet to use for grouping - that doesn't really matter. Most of the time I have been using only scout pet, but lately switched to Mage, think this is the pet most necros use in grouping too.
    About spells - you can make them if you like tradeskilling. Otherwise you will find yourself buying many spells. You primary pet spells (Fighter and Mage or Scout) should be as high as possible. Especially this goes to fighter pet if you are soloing. To earn money, you can harvest and sell - this is imho the fastest and easiest way to earn money in game. I personally prefer to craft - more fun for me, but that's your choice :)
  4. ARCHIVED-bertoxx Guest

Thanks for the replies ---

What is the difference between apprentice I - IV? I assume they are just overall better the higher they go?
  5. ARCHIVED-Trensharo-EQ Guest

They get better as you upgrade them (do more damage, more defense, etc.).

I am leveling up a Necro now, and I am getting most of my adept spells from Chest Drops. When I last trialed the game I got most spells up to level 30 or so from quest drops (Necro/Warlock).

I think I will betray to Conjuror tho, I'm level 12 on this one, can I do that?

This is nothing like EQ Necro.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mewse Guest

Which pet you use grouping depends on your AA set up and your group make up. Ignoring AA's for now - if your group primarily has melee skill buffers then go with the scout pet. If your group has mainly caster buffers use the mage pet.
    AA lines that affect pets are -
    STA line = tank pet
    AGI line = scout pet
    INT line = mage pet
    WIS line = all pets. Get this. It is a must have.
    Gravecalling line is for any pet but you can choose which of the three pets to emphasize if you wish.
    Tainted Heals is a good line to have if you are soloing or duoing. It can even be handy in some groups.
    A Mirror of Reflected Achievments will allow you to switch between AA lines depending on your pet needs.
    Spell levels: App IV is roughly 10-12% better than App I. It varies a bit from spell to spell how much of an increase you get. Get Adept I if you can find them on the broker. When you get over level 20 start looking for your Adept III pet summoning spells. Gear is not that important to a new necro. Dropped stuff is fine. Focus on spells.
  7. ARCHIVED-stgninja Guest

For grouping I prefer the mage pet because with /pet ranged it will be able to stay out of any AoEs that the mobs might cast. Plus it casts group lifetaps which are small but they add up pretty quick.
  8. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Bloodlich@Crushbone wrote:
    What exactly does /pet ranged do?
    I never remember to try using it because my mage pet never goes near the mob anyway it just moves into casting range and sits there casting spells. Even if it runs out of mana it just sits there.
    I keep seeing people refer to it though just can't remember while playing to try it. Does it make the pet run to max range before casting if you are too close to the mob or something?
    I normally just use bloodpact when I know the pet is gonna get an AE and keep at max range whenever possible myself...
  9. ARCHIVED-Kyusoath Guest

New necro tips;
    Always get at least app IV skills, my necro is a sage and makes his own. app IV on the broker will be cheap enough,
    i even give them away.

Pets mage/warrior, should always be as high as possible its not just a visual difference to the pet.
    mage is the pet to use in groups, scout has no real benefits were as mage can fight at a distance often valuable when fighting enemies that AoE .
    you can get cheap weapon adornments from the broker and will help slightly, and every little helps.
    if you need a gear upgrade the MS gear will often be the best you can get get the kind with stam/int , you shouldn't need the WIS.
    Also at low levels the TD gear is better than all the other startig areas gear. its stupid but true, the cloak from TD is better than any cloak you will be getting until mid 30's. not bad when a lot of people without that don't even have a cloak at all or have that DLW cloak which is green and meh.
    master spells are often too expensive and even if you are lucky enough to have one drop it will be out leveled quickly
    if you get one sell it. i one session i usually end up with a pile of masters and legendary gear that all goes on the broker and always seems to sell, i'm rolling in plat and have nothing i really need to buy, .....yet.
    Get tainted heals in your AA tree ASAP, it is a fantastic ability that makes multiple spells heal your pet for large amounts.
    as a necro you excell in soloing, use that ability and solo anything you can, at level 27 i rounded up every WC quest and blasted thru WC getting all the AA and quest rewards as well as easily farming lord ree for masters and legendary gear , at level 33/34 you can solo FG well enough and get even more plat and AA. at level 80 then you need to get the master skills and should be able to solo some epic mobs without much trouble, earning plenty more plat.

when you get higher you should get hold of an AA mirror, that saves an AA build allowing you to have a build for soloing and grouping. necro dps is already worse than a lot of pure casters so grouping with a solo build can really drop it down to silly levels.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mewse Guest

Xil, where have you been? Or did you buy your account from the original Xil?

/pet ranged forces the pet to use only ranged attacks. By default the mage pet is set to /pet ranged. That way it doesn't automatically run to melee the mob when all of its casting timers are waiting to reset. Also, by default the tank and scout pets are /pet melee. You can toggle this if you want. It used to be that the mage pet would run into melee as soon as all its cast timers were waiting to reset. That got patched about a 18 months ago (?).
  11. ARCHIVED-kazman321 Guest

How do you know what pet is the tank pet,scout pet,mage pet? I'm low lvl and have the bat and spider (erudite) do the pets get stronger as you level? Is the lvl 12 pet stronger than the lvl 2 or are they the same strength and one is a scout the other a fighter? sorry for the n00b questions, I am just confused as to which is which.
  12. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Mewse wrote:
    Lol, yeah I never really noticed it because I'd never have a use for it with any pet but mage.
    And I'd use /pet ranged all the time if the Tank pet would run away from the thing lol. I could Kite again
  13. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

kazman321 wrote:
    As you level up you will get specific pets. The bat and the spider are both the same and just a generic pet. Soon you will get a fighter pet and a mage pet and a scout pet and then as you continue to level up they will upgrade for each tier of content you enter.